Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ahmed Ashour <as...@yahoo.com> on 2010/12/26 08:15:16 UTC

The Web application created a ThreadLocal but failed to remove it

Dear all,

I think similar case has been recently reported, but restarting an Axis2 with
Tomcat give the below errors.

Is this an issue in Tomcat or in Axis?

Dec 26, 2010 9:52:01 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearReferencesThreads
SEVERE: The web application [/axis2] appears to have started a thread named
[Timer-0] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory
leak.
Dec 26, 2010 9:52:01 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
clearThreadLocalMap
SEVERE: The web application [/axis2] created a ThreadLocal with key of type
[java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@d402dd]) and a value of
type [
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser] (value
[org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser@13dd208]) but failed to remove it when the
web application was stopped. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

Axis2 version: 1.5.4

Tomcat:
Server version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.29
Server built:   July 19 2010 1458
Server number:  6.0.0.29
OS Name:        Windows 7
OS Version:     6.1
Architecture:   x86
JVM Version:    1.6.0_22-b04
JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.

Yours,
Ahmed
----
Blog: http://asashour.blogspot.com

Re: The Web application created a ThreadLocal but failed to remove it

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 12/26/10 7:15 AM, Ahmed Ashour wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I think similar case has been recently reported, but restarting an Axis2 with
> Tomcat give the below errors.
>
> Is this an issue in Tomcat or in Axis?
>

> Dec 26, 2010 9:52:01 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearReferencesThreads
> SEVERE: The web application [/axis2] appears to have started a thread named
> [Timer-0] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory
> leak.

> Dec 26, 2010 9:52:01 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> clearThreadLocalMap
> SEVERE: The web application [/axis2] created a ThreadLocal with key of type
> [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@d402dd]) and a value of
> type [
> org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser] (value
> [org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser@13dd208]) but failed to remove it when the
> web application was stopped. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

This is best reported to the Axis2 mailing list, users there may be able
to advise on whether it's possible to prevent this from happening by
configuring something.

If not, it may be a bug that community needs to address.