Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2017/12/30 18:14:34 UTC

Old Style Build Jobs

Hi,

based on the new Jenkinsfile based Builds I will delete step by step
older jobs for example:

https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-enforcer/

cause we have now as replacements..

https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-enforcer/

Any objects about that?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
On 9 February 2018 at 06:54, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le vendredi 9 février 2018, 02:16:10 CET Olivier Lamy a écrit :
> > Thanks!
> > I will have a look for Wagon.
> thank you
>

> > Do we deploy automatically SNAPSHOT or not?
> currently not: I'd like to do it, I think it's natural
> but Stephen, who masters the new Jenkins build configuration,  is not
> positive
> on the idea

OMG it might be really complicated... :P

> and nobody really started a clean discussion on that
>
> > because of jdk10 issue for surefire, I currently have external projects
> > depending on those snapshot.
> to be concrete, currently, when I want to consume a SNAPSHOT after a
> release
> has been done, I have to do manually the "mvn deploy" from my computer
> and each time I did this, I can confirm that it was the first SNAPSHOT
> that was
> deployed (even if the release has been done a few weeks ago)

I'd like to have auto build of downstream projects as well...
changes of a shared lib should rebuild plugins depending on it etc...

> > IMHO might be good to have auto deploy so quick feedback from early
> > testers/adopters
> +1
>
> let's start the discussion: I'm convinced this is natural for a CI job to
> deploy SNAPSHOTs automatically to SNAPSHOT repository
> and after thinking at it seriously, I think the fear Stephen has is valid
> only
> on *triggering a build based on a new SNAPSHOT availability*, but not
> really
> on *deploying SNAPSHOTs as part of continuous build*
> the only question to me is how to code it precisely, to be sure the deploy
> happens only once (and not on each OS+JDK configuration), and as much as
> possible only if the build is fully successful (here, IIUC, the detection
> of
> "successful build" is currently not reliable)

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>

> > On 8 February 2018 at 22:25, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>
> wrote:
> > > ok, I did the cleanup
> > >
> > > Tibor, I think there is cleanup to do on Surefire jobs: don't hesitate
> > > do it
> > >
> > > I don't know for Wagon jobs
> > >

> > > The cleanup I didn't do is the cleanup on maven-master-release-*
> > > https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven%20Core%20ITs/
> > >
> > > I just disabled the jobs: if nobody objects, I'll delete the jobs and
> even
> > > the
> > > view in 1 week
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Hervé

> > > integration-test

> mode

> 3.x-jenkinsfile/

Olivier Lamy

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Thanks!
I will have a look for Wagon.

Do we deploy automatically SNAPSHOT or not?
because of jdk10 issue for surefire, I currently have external projects
depending on those snapshot.
IMHO might be good to have auto deploy so quick feedback from early
testers/adopters

On 8 February 2018 at 22:25, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> ok, I did the cleanup
>
> Tibor, I think there is cleanup to do on Surefire jobs: don't hesitate to
> do it
>
> I don't know for Wagon jobs
>

> The cleanup I didn't do is the cleanup on maven-master-release-*
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven%20Core%20ITs/
>
> I just disabled the jobs: if nobody objects, I'll delete the jobs and even
> the
> view in 1 week
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé

> integration-test

> > > Our default Job for Maven Core [1] is running with embedded mode..
> > >

> > > [1]: https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-wip/job/maven/
> >
> > ok, thanks for the info (I could have found myself...)
> >
> > then +1 to drop this job also
> >
> > and while at it
> > https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.x-jenkinsfile/
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé

Olivier Lamy

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
ok, I did the cleanup

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Hervé,

On 21/01/18 13:59, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> Le samedi 20 janvier 2018, 23:23:04 CET Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
> great first removal: yes, let's work on next parts
>
>> so now the next parts:
>>
>> I would like to delete the following jobs on wednesday 24. january 2018
>> if no objections are coming up:
>>

>> 1. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugin-testing/
>> 2.
>> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-resolver-ant-tasks/
> +1 on these 2
>
>> 3.
>> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-m
>> aven-3-embedded/
> I'd like to keep this one, since it's a reference in embedded mode (faster
> execution)

Our default Job for Maven Core [1] is running with embedded mode..

[1]: https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-wip/job/maven/

>> 4.
>> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-it-maven-3-win/
> +1
>
>> 5. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/doxia-tools/
> -1 this one builds doxia-tools from svn (code not migrated to git)
>
>> 6. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/doxia-linkcheck/
> +1
>
>> 7. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/doxia-eclipse-editor/
> -1 like doxia-tools: code in svn
>
>> 8.
>> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-m
>> aven-3-embedded/
> +1
>
>> 9.
>> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-master-release-statu
>> s-test-plugins-windows/
>> 10.
>> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-master-release-statu
>> s-test-shared-windows/
> why not all the maven-master-release-status*? which test on components in git,
> then don't really test on latest code in git...

Yes removing them based on SVN usage..of course..

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le samedi 20 janvier 2018, 23:23:04 CET Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
> Hi,

great first removal: yes, let's work on next parts

> so now the next parts:
>
> I would like to delete the following jobs on wednesday 24. january 2018
> if no objections are coming up:
>

> 1. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugin-testing/
> 2.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-resolver-ant-tasks/
+1 on these 2

> 3.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-m
> aven-3-embedded/
I'd like to keep this one, since it's a reference in embedded mode (faster
execution)

> 4.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-it-maven-3-win/
+1

> 5. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/doxia-tools/
-1 this one builds doxia-tools from svn (code not migrated to git)

> 6. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/doxia-linkcheck/
+1

> 7. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/doxia-eclipse-editor/
-1 like doxia-tools: code in svn

> 8.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-m
> aven-3-embedded/
+1

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-master-release-status-test-shared-windows/

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le vendredi 12 janvier 2018, 20:21:38 CET Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I think the following build jobs can be deleted as well:
>
> 1. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-2.2.x/
> 2. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.0.x/
> 3. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.x/
> 4. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-ant-tasks/
> 5. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-archetype-m2/
> 6.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-m
> aven-3/ 7.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-pipeline-test/ 8.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins-ITs-m3/ 9.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins-ITs-m3-windo
> ws/ 10.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins-ITs-m3.0.4/
> 11.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins-ITs-m3.0.5-w
> ith-maven-plugin/ 12.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins-ITs-m3.1.x-w
> ith-maven-plugin-jdk-1.8/ 13.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins-ITs-m3.1.x-w
> ith-maven-plugin-jdk-1.8_windows/ 14.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins-ITs-m3.2.1-w
> ith-maven-plugin-jdk-1.7/ 15.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins-windows/
> 16. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-pipeline-test/
> 17. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-shared/ 18.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-shared-windows/ 19.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.2-release-status/
> 20.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.2-release-status-b
> uild/ 21.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-3.2-release-status-t
> est/ 22.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-m
> aven-3-solaris/ 23.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-m
> aven-3-osx/ 24.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-m
> aven-3-jdk-1.8/ 25.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-m
> aven-3-jdk-1.7/ 26.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-m
> aven-3-jdk-1.6-windows/ 27.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-scm-provider-svnjava
> / 28. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-scm/
> 29. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-scm-windows/
>

> I would delete the above jobs at Saturday 20. January of 2018...if no
> [...]
+1 from me

> A. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins/
>   => I don't know why so many other projects are triggered by that Job?
>      any idea about that?
this is the good old great Maven job that knows about SNAPSHOTs dependencies
then triggers even if code of plugin themselves did not change
This does not change anything about the conclusion: to be deleted since
plugins code evolves now in Git

> B. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-wagon-benchmarks/
> Is this needed? If yes ?
> C. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-wagon-jetty8/
>      Any idea?
IIRC, these ones were Olivier Lamy's tentative Wagon improvements. But not
really worked on nowadays.

thanks for the cleanup: that's a complementary task to Git migration that I'm
happy not to lead :)

Regards,

Hervé

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

so cleaned up Jenkins from the following list of Jobs..

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Old Style Build Jobs

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
On Fri 12 Jan 2018 at 19:21, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> [...]
> 25.
>
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-maven-3-jdk-1.7/
> 26.
>
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/core-integration-testing-maven-3-jdk-1.6-windows/
> 27.
>
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-scm-provider-svnjava/
> 28. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-scm/
> 29. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-scm-windows/
>

> I would delete the above jobs at Saturday 20. January of 2018...if no
> one has objections about it...

+1 from me

> A. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-plugins/
>   => I don't know why so many other projects are triggered by that Job?

It’s *evil* job type so will pick up SNAPSHOT triggering.

> B.
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-wagon-benchmarks/
>      Is this needed? If yes ?

I think if we want something like this we should set up a job for this by
using a specific branch with a custom Jenkinsfile (or a separate repo)

I’d say hold off on this until we figure out what it’s doing.

> C. https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-wagon-jetty8/
>      Any idea?

No clue!

> D.
>
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-wagon-jetty8-windows/
>
> Any feedback / information would be great..

Well the new jobs are on a matrix of OSes so “in theory” we shouldn’t need
a Windows specific job any more... but given we do t know about C above...

> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
>
> On 12/01/18 19:57, Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > now I found another one which I have removed.
> >
> > The old build Job:
> > https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-indexer-5.x/
> >
> > The new one:
> >
> > https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-wip/job/maven-indexer/
> >
> > So I have deleted that job..
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz Marbaise
> >

> > On 30/12/17 19:34, Robert Scholte wrote:
> >> Yep, if you can confirm the jobs are covered by the TLP Jenkins
> >> script, then they can be removed.
> >> I don't think there's a reason to keep the historic statistics.
> >>
> >> +1
> >>
> >> Robert

> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-box/job/maven-enforcer/

Sent from my phone