Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/01/01 17:59:42 UTC

What does "supported" mean for us?

When a commercial software vendor says a configuration is "supported"
it means something, typically that to the extent the software license
includes an entitlement to support, that the vendor will provide that
service for that configuration.  So saying something is "supported" is
essentially an obligation.

With a volunteer-run, open source project, "supported" cannot mean
quite the same thing.   We're not obligated, in any contractual sense,
to provide anyone with anything.  That's the nature of a volunteer
effort.

However, users and organizations considering OpenOffice will naturally
think in terms of "support", even if they user that term loosely.  We
use that term as well, in our release notes, etc.  But I think we
ought to have a more precise definition of what we mean when we say
something is "supported", in order to avoid any confusion.   This
question has come up recently, with regards to the status of Windows
8, where that OS had not been released at the time AOO 3.4.1 was
released.

So here's a strawman proposal for what "supported" means for us.

1) "Supported" is a statement we make about a specific version of AOO
used with a specific platform, e.g., AOO 3.4.1 with Windows XP SP3 or
AOO 3.4 with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

2) "Supported" means we encourage use of AOO in that configuration.
We have high confidence that the combination is stable, that it works
well and is safe.

3) Our confidence in stating something is supported should have a
solid basis in testing.  Something is not "supported" by us guessing
it should work.  It is supported only after we have successfully
completed testing of that release with that platform.  We probably
should define exactly what level of testing is required.

4) "Supported" also implies that the supported configuration is
sufficiently available and there is sufficient expertise that we have
confidence that users will have a high quality experience seeking
support on the forums and user list.

5) "Supported" also implies that we stand behind that release and will
take necessary steps to correct *critical* bugs, especially security
flaws, via rapidly produced point releases where necessary.

Note that these are all expectations that a user might have, though
any given user might think that "supported" means only a subset of
these.

What we probably really need is more of a lifecycle statement,
including when support for a configuration ends.

-Rob

Re: What does "supported" mean for us?

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:39 AM, Ian C <ia...@amham.net> wrote:
> A corollary to this is also the notion of End of Life, or when is a
> release no longer "supported".
> In a volunteer framework that may be never, someone may always be
> fiddling with an older version?
> Are older releases archived forever?
>
> When do we say "Sorry that will not be fixed, please upgrade to a
> newer version that already addressees the issue"?
> I wrestle with this in a commercial environment all the time.
> Sometimes upgrading is a time consuming task and one in which the user
> needs to the have confidence in the product to do it.

I believe this is material in an enterprise environment. It's not rare
to see vendors supporting commercially an open source platform to
offer long-time support services for older versions. As a matter of
fact users and paying customers need that. It would be good to give
people an option, if the community doesn't support older versions
maybe there are vendors doing that.

Roberto thinking loud too

--
====

Re: What does "supported" mean for us?

Posted by Ian C <ia...@amham.net>.

--
Cheers,

Ian C

Re: What does "supported" mean for us?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
HI Rob,

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 7 January 2013 21:15, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> > When a commercial software vendor says a configuration is "supported"
> > it means something, typically that to the extent the software license
> > includes an entitlement to support, that the vendor will provide that
> > service for that configuration.  So saying something is "supported" is
> > essentially an obligation.
> >
> > With a volunteer-run, open source project, "supported" cannot mean
> > quite the same thing.   We're not obligated, in any contractual sense,
> > to provide anyone with anything.  That's the nature of a volunteer
> > effort.
> >

> For comparison, I came across this page for GNU Octave, where it
> defines "Support Expectations":
> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/support-expectations.html
>
> Maybe that is a good way to think of it, defining expectations?

That is much better than "support", it goes well with what the users think
and does not make the link support = obligation.

The page you refer to it well written, but in my opinion, talks to much
about donations and does not concentrate on the issue..

-Rob

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Coming into this way late, but...
>
> Perhaps you shouldn't even use the word "supported".  How about
> "validated"?  As in, "We can say that we tested this software under
> this environment, and it worked for us.  We will be receptive of
> reports to the contrary."  "We have developed for and validated on the
> following platforms..."

We could use another word, certainly, but users will still ask if X is
"supported", so we cannot escape the term entirely.

-Rob

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 18:06:38 +0100
janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > completed testing of that release with that platform.  We probably
> > should define exactly what level of testing is required.
> >
> > 4) "Supported" also implies that the supported configuration is
> > sufficiently available and there is sufficient expertise that we have
> > confidence that users will have a high quality experience seeking
> > support on the forums and user list.
> >
> > 5) "Supported" also implies that we stand behind that release and will
> > take necessary steps to correct *critical* bugs, especially security
> > flaws, via rapidly produced point releases where necessary.
> >
> > Note that these are all expectations that a user might have, though
> > any given user might think that "supported" means only a subset of
> > these.
> >
> > What we probably really need is more of a lifecycle statement,
> > including when support for a configuration ends.

Supported should mean also that it works with an "out of the box" install of the "supported" operating system.

We must remember that the average user is relatively unskilled in computer knowledge and terminology; they want to press the button of the install package and have it install a working OpenOffice without intervention on their part.

Such behaviour also as a good spin-off in terms of less User support being needed; lurking on the Forum one will quickly see that many awkward support cases are caused by insufficient computer knowledge of the users, as also by attempts on their part to out-guess the install process.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: What does "supported" mean for us?

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

> So is Vista supported?   It certainly isn't deprecated.  But neither
> is it getting the full QA treatment.  Similar questions for Linux
> releases.  We don't test every release of every distro.  We pick the
> major ones, such as the Ubuntu LTS releases.

on Vista I would be surprised if AOO won't run on it.
On Linux if AOO picks a defined version of a Linux distro as a
'supported' one then this would be the wrong decision. 'Supporting' has
to be seen in a more technical manner not from the 'commercial support'
POV. In the past OOo was built by using a build infrastructure that
allowed OOo to run the binary on most of the Linux distributions. There
were just a few distros that failed because they were incompatible to
everything else.

Platform compatibility depends on some prerequisites (just some examples):

glibc versions supported
system dependent system integration (eg. on KDE, Gnome, etc.)
drag&drop support
clipboard support
sane support on that platform
java dependencies on that platform (eg. Sun Java version, OpenSource
derivates)

The more important question is: Is AOO a LSB compatible application ?

Kind regards, Joost

Re: What does "supported" mean for us?

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 1 January 2013 19:03, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> the

> can
> >> of
> critical
> >> >

> >> And thinking a little further, there might be something between
> >> "supported" and "deprecated", or at least there might be different
> >> levels of confidence we might have.
> >>
> >> For example, I don't think we're doing any testing with Widows Vista.
> >> We tested Windows XP, 7 and preview version of 8.  We have limited
> >> resources.
> >>
> >> So is Vista supported?   It certainly isn't deprecated.  But neither
> >> is it getting the full QA treatment.  Similar questions for Linux
> >> releases.  We don't test every release of every distro.  We pick the
> >> major ones, such as the Ubuntu LTS releases.
> >>
> >> One way of handling this could be:
> >>
> >> 1) Define our "Class A" platforms, the ones that we give the full test
> >> attention to.  Similar to how we treat translations, this list can
> >> grow given sufficient volunteers to cover the testing, and (if bugs
> >> are found) the fixes.
> >>
> >> 2) Class A platforms (or "primary platforms" or "tested platforms" or
> >> "supported platforms" -- whatever we call them) are the ones we
> >> encourage users to use.
> >>
> >> 3) For other platforms we make a wiki-page per platform, were we can
> >> track notes from users on an unique issues they find on that platform.
> >>  These combinations are not supported, but may often work.  But we
> >> make it easy to collect observations about AOO on that platform, and
> >> make it easy for users to find that info.
> >>
> >> If we do this, then our support statement could read something like:
> >> "We have tested and qualified Apache OpenOffice X.Y on the following
> >> operating system versions.  Other operating system versions may work
> >> as well, but may require additional configuration.  For the latest
> >> information please consult the following wiki page..."
> >>
> >> -Rob
> >>
> >> I do not know this, but would it be possible to make a QA package
> (script
> > or something) that would make it easy for skilled users to do QA of a
> > platform (e.g. vista). I have f.x. vista running and could do it, but I
> do
> > not have a clue what should be done, and there could be other users like
> me
> > out there.
> >

> We have some automation, but not enough to fully test a release. It is
> more at the level of checking a build to make sure it did not have
> gross defects, so more of a "smoke test".  Most of the testing is
> manual.  So if we had a model where a set of volunteers wanted to bump
> a new platform up to a "fully supported" platform, then we would have
> a set of automated and manual tests that the volunteers would need to
> run.

Do we need a full release test to make sure a platform works, isnt it more
a "feature" test ? I might be wrong but to me there is a difference whether
we test if our code works, or if already tested code works on a new
platform, this should be a lot simpler.

Would this not be a great task for some of our new QA people, to make a
minimum test suite automated, that would secure that AOO works on a
platform.

I know it is easy for me to say, without sufficient knowledge, but I think
it would be more than just a neat feature ("run this, to test if your
system works with AOO").

Jan I.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> When a commercial software vendor says a configuration is "supported"
> it means something, typically that to the extent the software license
> includes an entitlement to support, that the vendor will provide that
> service for that configuration.  So saying something is "supported" is
> essentially an obligation.
>
> With a volunteer-run, open source project, "supported" cannot mean
> quite the same thing.   We're not obligated, in any contractual sense,
> to provide anyone with anything.  That's the nature of a volunteer
> effort.
>
> However, users and organizations considering OpenOffice will naturally
> think in terms of "support", even if they user that term loosely.  We
> use that term as well, in our release notes, etc.  But I think we
> ought to have a more precise definition of what we mean when we say
> something is "supported", in order to avoid any confusion.   This
> question has come up recently, with regards to the status of Windows
> 8, where that OS had not been released at the time AOO 3.4.1 was
> released.
>
> So here's a strawman proposal for what "supported" means for us.
>
> 1) "Supported" is a statement we make about a specific version of AOO
> used with a specific platform, e.g., AOO 3.4.1 with Windows XP SP3 or
> AOO 3.4 with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.
>
> 2) "Supported" means we encourage use of AOO in that configuration.
> We have high confidence that the combination is stable, that it works
> well and is safe.
>
> 3) Our confidence in stating something is supported should have a
> solid basis in testing.  Something is not "supported" by us guessing
> it should work.  It is supported only after we have successfully
> completed testing of that release with that platform.  We probably
> should define exactly what level of testing is required.
>
> 4) "Supported" also implies that the supported configuration is
> sufficiently available and there is sufficient expertise that we have
> confidence that users will have a high quality experience seeking
> support on the forums and user list.
>
> 5) "Supported" also implies that we stand behind that release and will
> take necessary steps to correct *critical* bugs, especially security
> flaws, via rapidly produced point releases where necessary.
>
> Note that these are all expectations that a user might have, though
> any given user might think that "supported" means only a subset of
> these.
>
> What we probably really need is more of a lifecycle statement,
> including when support for a configuration ends.
>
> -Rob

I agree these 5 points are very good and needed. If we don't have an
explicit entry for something like this, we definitely need to create
something (off the Download page? elsewhere?)

Since this is "free" software, I see 4. and 5. as critical to end users. #3
should go without saying -- this seems standard practice to release
anything. There are certain areas of AOO that need more of this -- the DB
connectivity aspects for example. Some of this is difficult for many
volunteer testers without access to some environments.

OK, many more interesting points made already. I am also assuming that
commercial users have a slightly different set of priorities in this
regard. But something like this list is needed.

MzK

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted."
                                                                         --
Aesop