Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/30 21:29:22 UTC

Automated Release Audit Reports [Re: Release Audit Report 2008-01-29]

you probably have noticed a number of emailed audit reports (see
below). i've been doing some testing (apologies for the SPAM) but
think that everything's working ok now.

1. frequency: weekly? biweekly? monthly?
2. format: too long? too short?
3. web page: too concise? too verbose?

opinions appreciated

improvements and suggestions also welcomed (other than learning how to
write python properly ;-)

- robert

Re: Automated Release Audit Reports [Re: Release Audit Report 2008-01-29]

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Jan 30, 2008 10:29 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. web page: too concise? too verbose?

The repeating directory path in the "<file> in <directory>" list items
could be avoided by grouping the list of files by directory.

<example>
Added

in /www/archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/cxf/2.0.4-incubator:

    * apache-cxf-2.0.4-incubator.pom
    * apache-cxf-2.0.4-incubator.tar.gz
    * apache-cxf-2.0.4-incubator.zip
    * apache-cxf-2.0.4-incubator-src.tar.gz
    * apache-cxf-2.0.4-incubator-src.zip
    * apache-cxf-2.0.4-incubator.pom
    * apache-cxf-2.0.4-incubator.tar.gz
    * apache-cxf-2.0.4-incubator.zip
    * apache-cxf-2.0.4-incubator-src.tar.gz
    * apache-cxf-2.0.4-incubator-src.zip

</example>

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Automated Release Audit Reports [Re: Release Audit Report 2008-01-29]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 30, 2008 10:37 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > 3. web page: too concise? too verbose?
>
> Please include checksums or signatures of the release packages. That
> way we'll have easier time tracking things if the release artifacts
> change for one reason or another.

the raw data is already stored and signed in subversion but the format
is custom xml. if i switch to using xhtml+microformat then the raw
data will be more easily accessible (and yes, i have been reading
restful web services recently). i should be able to add links to the
various sums the audit computes.

> Also, as a general after-the-fact audit, it would be great if the tool
> could do some basic release checks and include the results in the
> report. For example verify that all the checksums and signatures
> included in the dist directory are correct.

henk's scanner already checks signatures and sums but he only posts to
the podling list. he also has some good proposals for hierarchical
signature protection.

but unless someone volunteers, this will have to wait until RAT is
working more completely later this year

> It would be even cooler if
> there was some way (perhaps with explicit release metadata) that would
> link the reported release artifacts to the related vote threads.

would be good but not sure how to do it (quickly). any ideas

- robert

Re: Automated Release Audit Reports [Re: Release Audit Report 2008-01-29]

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> you probably have noticed a number of emailed audit reports (see
> below). i've been doing some testing (apologies for the SPAM) but
> think that everything's working ok now.
>
> 1. frequency: weekly? biweekly? monthly?

Biweekly or monthly would be better at least IMHO. If it's more often
I'll just start ignoring the messages.

> 2. format: too long? too short?

Too short. Include the details right there in the message instead of
putting them behind a URL. One less click for lazy people like me...

> 3. web page: too concise? too verbose?

Please include checksums or signatures of the release packages. That
way we'll have easier time tracking things if the release artifacts
change for one reason or another.

Also, as a general after-the-fact audit, it would be great if the tool
could do some basic release checks and include the results in the
report. For example verify that all the checksums and signatures
included in the dist directory are correct. It would be even cooler if

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 31, 2008 12:15 AM, Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de> wrote:
> On 30.01.2008, at 21:29, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

<snip>

> An overview page linking to all the previous reports (ok, autoindex
> works too but isn't as nice)...?

the scripts that generate the sitemap for the infrastructure site will
probably do the job. (i've been meaning to port them over here so that
a sitemap can be generated anyway.)

- robert

Re: Automated Release Audit Reports [Re: Release Audit Report 2008-01-29]

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 31, 2008 12:15 AM, Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de> wrote:
> On 30.01.2008, at 21:29, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
> > you probably have noticed a number of emailed audit reports (see
> > below). i've been doing some testing (apologies for the SPAM) but
> > think that everything's working ok now.
> >
> > 1. frequency: weekly? biweekly? monthly?
>
> Maximum one per week I'd say; bi-weekly is also fine but monthly is
> probably too rare.

<snip>

i'll try to run the scripts once a week but will alter the scripts so
that they only mail if there have been changes

> Maybe make also sure to not send anything if there's nothing to
> report... (I know it's useful to see that it's still there and still
> working but we don't need to spam the whole list then.)

bit worried that without any feedback when the script thinks that
there are no changes, no one will notice if the scripts misses changes
or isn't run for a while. probably good enough to limit a 'no changes'
mail to once a month. in this case, the summary should indicate that
there are no changes.

- robert

Re: Automated Release Audit Reports [Re: Release Audit Report 2008-01-29]

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 30.01.2008, at 21:29, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> you probably have noticed a number of emailed audit reports (see
> below). i've been doing some testing (apologies for the SPAM) but
> think that everything's working ok now.
>
> 1. frequency: weekly? biweekly? monthly?

Maximum one per week I'd say; bi-weekly is also fine but monthly is
probably too rare.

> 2. format: too long? too short?

What Jukka said; but the link can stay as an alternative.

> 3. web page: too concise? too verbose?

An overview page linking to all the previous reports (ok, autoindex
works too but isn't as nice)...?

> opinions appreciated
>
> improvements and suggestions also welcomed (other than learning how to
> write python properly ;-)

Maybe make also sure to not send anything if there's nothing to
report... (I know it's useful to see that it's still there and still
working but we don't need to spam the whole list then.)

Nice work!

Cheers,
Erik