Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> on 2006/05/05 18:51:19 UTC

multi-project aggregation of reports

Is there a default policy or setting for report plugins to aggregate
reports from the modules?
I know the javadoc plugin should support that via

      <plugin>
        <configuration>
          <aggregate>true</aggregate>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>

...unfortunately it does not for me :-/

But I would be great to have it for

  javadoc
  surefire
  taglist
  pmd
  jxr

What's the status for those?

And how can I prevent that reports defined in the parent pom get also
executed in the childs?

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: multi-project aggregation of reports

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Correct.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> You need a snapshot of the plugins from SVN for this (though I am
> working on the releases right now). Only JXR and Javadoc support it as
> its a piece of functionality that must be implemented for each plugin
> at a time.
>
> The logic says that if aggregate = true and project is not the root
> project, then do nothing. This ensures only the aggregate javadoc /
> xref is generated.

What means "root of the project"? We use a Super POM in our company for all
our projects and therefore even all our multi module root POMs have a
parent.

- Jörg

Re: multi-project aggregation of reports

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 6 May 2006, Torsten Curdt wrote:

I added a comment on the JIRA issue on this.

-- Kenney

> > > Ok ...here is number one:
> > >
> > > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPMD-28 :-)
> >
> > Number two:
> >
> > http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MTAGLIST-6
>
> Number three has a bigger impact
>
>  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2280
>
> ...and I am also not totally sure it is the correct way of
> doing it. The other option was to create an AbstractXXXReport
> in the project info plugin and then have all the reports extend that.
> The check could be in that abstract class.
>
> On the other hand I think it is a quite common requirement to control
> execution in a multi project environment. So this AbstractXXXReport
> should then at least go into the reporting component.
>
> Somehow it would be nice to have better control of the inheritance.
> What about a special attribute for applicable for ALL tags?
>
> <plugin inherit="no">
> </plugin>

> <organization inherit="yes">
> </organization>
>
> WDYT?
>
> cheers
> --
> Torsten

Kenney Westerhof
http://www.neonics.com
GPG public key: http://www.gods.nl/~forge/kenneyw.key

Re: multi-project aggregation of reports

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
the project info reports are special as they are included by default.

You want:
<reporting>
   <excludeDefaults>true</excludeDefaults>

in your root pom as well.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> Somehow it would be nice to have better control of the inheritance.
> What about a special attribute for applicable for ALL tags?
>
> <plugin inherit="no">
> </plugin>

You can already do this with <inherited>false</inhertied>.

> <organization inherit="yes">
> </organization>
>
> WDYT?

Can you cite a use case where this would be useful for something other
than plugins? Since anything can be overridden, it would basically be
something that must be removed from a child pom but present in a parent.

- Brett

Re: multi-project aggregation of reports

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Check out the surefire project from
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/surefire/trunk
> and mvn install that.

ah ..so plugins are pretty much just wrappers around the
"real" surefire. Alright

Thanks, works now

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
On 5/6/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> You seem to have an older snapshot of the surefire plugin 2.2 installed.
> I'd either update, or remove it to go back to 2.1.3.

Nope ...latest trunk (from apache not mojo)
Rebuild and installed the surefire plugin and report-plugin just a few
seconds ago

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Right.

The technique in JXR and Javadoc is going to be similar to PMD and
taglist. Same for checkstyle too.

Surefire report will be somewhat different as it has to merge xml
files instead of just changing the input source directories.

- Brett

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.