Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com> on 2001/02/13 17:57:16 UTC

web-app_2.2.dtd - how get a local copy?

Hello, all,

Maybe this question for Tomcat developers.

As you know we are all using web.xml file for a servlet container. This
file has the following lines :

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">

Every time when you start Tomcat, for example, you are getting the file
web-app_2.2.dtd from java.sun.com site. Tomcat does not have this file
itself. When I have got it from java.sun.com, the file has the following
a Copyright:
--------------
<!--
Copyright 1999 Sun Microsystems, Inc. 901 San Antonio Road,
Palo Alto, CA  94303, U.S.A.  All rights reserved.

This product or document is protected by copyright and distributed
under licenses restricting its use, copying, distribution, and
decompilation.  No part of this product or documentation may be
reproduced in any form by any means without prior written authorization
of Sun and its licensors, if any.

Third party software, including font technology, is copyrighted and
licensed from Sun suppliers.
--------------

I would like to have a local copy of this file, and not download it
every time with Tomcat startup. How can I do it?

Thanks,

Maya

Re: web-app_2.2.dtd - how get a local copy?

Posted by Craig Tataryn <Cr...@msdw.com>.

> <!DOCTYPE web-app
>     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN"
>     "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">

Are you sure?  It may not actually go get the .dtd from the URI.  Tomcat may
just internally recognize this URI.  If you download the Servlet 2.2 spec
and goto sections 13.1.1-13.2,  the DTD for web.xml is layed out in full.

Servlet 2.2. spec: http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html

Craig.
--
I've been trying to change the world for years, but they just won't give me
the source code....

RE: web-app_2.2.dtd - how get a local copy?

Posted by "Ludwig, Pat" <pl...@silverstream.com>.
Maya,
	would you please stop posting your questions simultaneously to both the
Struts-user and Struts-dev mailing lists.  based on my experience, one copy
of your question is usually sufficient to garner an answer and would
appreciate not getting the additional mail.

thanks,
Pat Ludwig

Posted by "Ludwig, Pat" <pl...@silverstream.com>.
Maya,

Posted by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com>.

Posted by Maya Muchnik <mm...@pumatech.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Maya Muchnik wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> Maybe this question for Tomcat developers.

That's true, although there is overlap here ... :-)

> As you know we are all using web.xml file for a servlet container. This
> file has the following lines :
>
> <!DOCTYPE web-app
>     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN"
>     "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">
>
> Every time when you start Tomcat, for example, you are getting the file
> web-app_2.2.dtd from java.sun.com site. Tomcat does not have this file
> itself.

Check inside "webserver.jar" -- you'll see a resource file named
"org/apache/tomcat/resources/web.dtd" that contains this text.  Otherwise,
Tomcat would not be able to start and run on an offline computer.  Tomcat
registers this resource file within the XML parser it uses, in effect saying
"when you see this public identifier, use my local copy instead of going out
across the network."

> When I have got it from java.sun.com, the file has the following
> a Copyright:

That's an oversight when the original Tomcat code was published.

> Maya

Craig

Re: web-app_2.2.dtd - how get a local copy?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Maya Muchnik wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> Maybe this question for Tomcat developers.

That's true, although there is overlap here ... :-)

> As you know we are all using web.xml file for a servlet container. This
> file has the following lines :
>
> <!DOCTYPE web-app
>     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.2//EN"
>     "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd">
>
> Every time when you start Tomcat, for example, you are getting the file
> web-app_2.2.dtd from java.sun.com site. Tomcat does not have this file
> itself.

Check inside "webserver.jar" -- you'll see a resource file named
"org/apache/tomcat/resources/web.dtd" that contains this text.  Otherwise,
Tomcat would not be able to start and run on an offline computer.  Tomcat
registers this resource file within the XML parser it uses, in effect saying
"when you see this public identifier, use my local copy instead of going out
across the network."

> When I have got it from java.sun.com, the file has the following
> a Copyright:

That's an oversight when the original Tomcat code was published.

> Maya

Craig

Re: web-app_2.2.dtd - how get a local copy?

Posted by Craig Tataryn <Cr...@msdw.com>.