Posted to dev@brpc.apache.org by Jerry Tan <je...@apache.org> on 2022/11/01 01:42:53 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache bRPC (incubating) as a top level project

Dear Apache bRPC Community,

Following the [DISCUSS] thread which has gone 72 hours without any

further issues raised [1]:

All existing PPMC members agree to stay as PMC members,

and we agree that Ge Jun(James Ge)will be the PMC leader.

Our mentors vongosling, Panjuan,jbonofre all agreed to stay as PMC members
after graduation.

So I will call for a Vote now.

This is a call to VOTE on the Graduation of Apache bRPC from the Incubator
to a Top-Level Project (TLP).

Please vote:

[ ] +1: Apache bRPC is ready to graduate to TLP

[ ] 0: No opinion

[ ] -1: Apache bRPC is NOT ready to graduate; please state the reason(s)

If this community vote passes, we will proceed to the next steps. The

graduation process is documented at [2]. The vote will remain open for

at least 72 hours. A minimum of 3 binding +1 votes and more binding +1

than binding -1 are required to pass. The ASF requirements for voting

can be found at [3].

Updates since incubation:

1. We release 1.0.0,1.1.0, 1.2.0, 1.3.0, 4 apache releases and 0.9.6,
0.9.7, 2 disclaim release;  by

different release managers (including Jerry Tan, Zhu Jiashun, Lorin Lee,

Wang Weibing, Liu Shuai, Hu Xiguo) (see it at [4])

2. We add 5 new PPMC members including Jiashun Zhu, Wang Weibing, Cai

Daojin, He Lei, and Lorin Lee.  see it at [4].

Now we have 10 PPMC members altogether, they are from different companies,

Including ByteDance(Ge Jun, He Lei), Baidu(Wang Yao, Wang
Weibing),Google(Zhu Jiashun),  4Paradigm(Jerry Tan), Shopee( Cai Daojin),
Momenta.AI (Chen Zhangyi), Ant Group(Jiang Rujie), Freelancer(Lorin Lee)

3. We add 10 new committers, including Cai Daojin, He Lei, Mou Gaidong,

Lorin Lee, Wang Wei, Wang Weibing, Liu Shuai, Wang Xiaofeng, and Xiguo Hu.
Chen

Guangming. see it at [4]

4. We have 17 members subscribed to the private email list and 61 engineers

subscribed to the dev mail list. The discussion on the dev mail list is
active, including release, roadmap,

committer related topics.  see it at [5]

5. Branding issues have been solved and name searching has been completed.
See it at [6]

6. Assessment of the maturity model is available at

https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc/wiki/Maturity-Assessment-for-bRPC,

All answers to these check items are 'Yes'.

7. bRPC has been widely adopted outside Baidu since incubating, including
iqiyi,bytedance,bilibili,bigo,didi,weibo,vivo,4padradigm,xiaohongshu,ishumei,doris,amap
and etc. And we plan to move on, such as RDMA support has been integrated
into the trunk and will be included in the next release, and extend bRPC
with service mesh features.

Let me express a big ***THANK YOU*** to everyone for helping make this

possible!

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/gd1cdmj527vndl6x7zvztywgby22r52b

[2]
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#graduating_to_a_top_level_project

[3] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

[4] https://incubator.apache.org/projects/brpc.html

[5] https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/brpc

[6]  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-202)

Best regards,

Jerry Tan

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache bRPC (incubating) as a top level project

Posted by James Ge <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding

Best Regards,
James Ge

Posted by Jerry Tan <je...@apache.org>.
+1。
here is my vote.

Posted by Jiashun Zhu <zh...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding

Posted by Zhangyi Chen <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Weibing Wang <ww...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Best regards
Weibing

Posted by 牟盖东 <mo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Best Regards,
Gaidong

Wang Wei <gu...@apache.org> 于2022年11月1日周二 12:47写道:

Posted by Wang Wei <gu...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Xiaofeng <wa...@gmail.com>.
+1(non-binding)

Posted by Hu go <ue...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by lhestz <lh...@163.com>.
+1 (binding)

Best regards,
Lei He
--
helei.sig11@bytedance.com

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache bRPC (incubating) as a top level project

Posted by Lorin Lee <lo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Best Regards,
Lorin Lee

Shuai Liu <se...@apache.org> 于2022年11月1日周二 10:47写道:

Posted by Shuai Liu <se...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Jerry Tan <je...@apache.org>.
thanks,panjuan

Posted by Whistler <wh...@163.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by fisherman <ip...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding

> [...]

> active, including release, roadmap,
>
> committer related topics.  see it at [5]
>

> 5. Branding issues have been solved and name searching has been completed.
> See it at [6]
>

> 6. Assessment of the maturity model is available at
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc/wiki/Maturity-Assessment-for-bRPC
> ,
>
> All answers to these check items are 'Yes'.
>

> 7. bRPC has been widely adopted outside Baidu since incubating, including
>
> iqiyi,bytedance,bilibili,bigo,didi,weibo,vivo,4padradigm,xiaohongshu,ishumei,doris,amap
> and etc. And we plan to move on, such as RDMA support has been integrated
> into the trunk and will be included in the next release, and extend bRPC
> with service mesh features.
>

> Let me express a big ***THANK YOU*** to everyone for helping make this

Best Regards :-)

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache bRPC (incubating) as a top level project

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

Regards
JB

Posted by Jerry Tan <je...@apache.org>.
thanks, Von

Posted by vongosling <vo...@apache.org>.
+1, glad to see our graduation.

Good lucky, bRPC community :-)

--
Best Regards :-)

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache bRPC (incubating) as a top level project

Posted by Mingyu Chen <mo...@apache.org>.
+1 (non binding)
good to see!

Posted by Bear Jiang <jr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Thanks
Rujie Jiang

Posted by lhestz <lh...@163.com>.
+1 (binding)

> [...]
>
> subscribed to the dev mail list. The discussion on the dev mail list is
> active, including release, roadmap,
>
> committer related topics.  see it at [5]
>

> 5. Branding issues have been solved and name searching has been completed.
> See it at [6]
>

> 6. Assessment of the maturity model is available at
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc/wiki/Maturity-Assessment-for-bRPC,
>
> All answers to these check items are 'Yes'.
>

> 7. bRPC has been widely adopted outside Baidu since incubating, including
> iqiyi,bytedance,bilibili,bigo,didi,weibo,vivo,4padradigm,xiaohongshu,ishumei,doris,amap
> and etc. And we plan to move on, such as RDMA support has been integrated
> into the trunk and will be included in the next release, and extend bRPC
> with service mesh features.
>

> Let me express a big ***THANK YOU*** to everyone for helping make this

Best regards,
Lei He
--
helei.sig11@bytedance.com