Posted to sysadmins@spamassassin.apache.org by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org> on 2017/05/15 20:01:50 UTC

PowerDNS web interface

I setup nesedit and wanted to pass this along.  We can put this in the
wiki after we have properly vetted any security issues but I think I
have it pretty secure.

1. Open an SSH tunnel from your desktop:

ssh -f sa-vm1.apache.org -L 8090:localhost:8090 -N

2. Open http://localhost:8090 from your desktop browser

3. Login with admin/admin

Do we need to change the default admin password?  My thought was it's
not externally accessible (port 8090 listens on 127.0.0.1 and this port
is not opened on the local firewall) and everyone on the server is
trusted by SSH keys and has root access anyway.

I think it's secure from the outside and the default admin password is
fine in this case.

--
Dave

Re: PowerDNS web interface

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.
LP has still not had a data breach to date.  Even if they did, they
don't store anything but an encrypted blob of random bits.  They have
responded quickly to all issues and patched things fast.  The last issue
was reported to them on a Saturday via Twitter and they had it fixed
within 4 hours.  You can't ask for better responsibility by a major
security company like LP.

I guess we need to figure out how to create a recovery key and get the
credentials to that central LP account.

Dave

Re: PowerDNS web interface

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Definitely the latter, and I'll leave it to @fluxo to coordinate with you
on security.

For the former, we could probably arrange some shared groups and whatnot. I
don't recall our specific plan with LP and ability to construct various
groups. And given that we might switch providers, I'm not keen on spending
time to figure it out, beyond a simple archival of your key and passphrase.

Longer term, we could look at more direct support for our PMCs. Not sure
what form that would take, as you're the first to ask for such. (note:
likely not cuz you're the first to need it, but that you're the first with
a security mindset)

Does that work for y'all?

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Kevin A. McGrail <kevin.mcgrail@mcgrail.com

Re: PowerDNS web interface

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.

Re: PowerDNS web interface

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: PowerDNS web interface

Re: PowerDNS web interface

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.

Re: PowerDNS web interface

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
On 5/15/2017 5:37 PM, Dave Jones wrote:

> My concern is I can sign it with your (Kevin's) key and even Brian's
> key so the two of you can open it but what happens if another 5 or 10
> years go by and we 3 are no longer volunteering as SA sysadmins?  The
> next generation of sysadmins won't be able to open these files.
>
> There has to be a better way where we use an encrypted file with a
> master password that we share and is recorded in a save place for the
> future.
>
> I use LastPass for this and I have my master password in an envelope
> in a safe for my wife to open in the event I am no longer on this
> planet. I have instructed her to take this envelope to any of my
> techie friends and they would know how to help her get access of all
> of my online accounts.  We need something like this for this team.

The first consideration is that the method above with SVN is considered
acceptable to the foundation and exists already.  It long predates me
and has a strong encryption pedigree.  It also doesn't rely on a service
being in business since it uses all open source software and files that
you can mirror today.

What I have done that is similar to what you describe is that my
passphrase for my private key is in my safe.  So should I leave this
mortal coil, the data is all recoverable.

Also, we are trying to move away from master passwords as much as
possible.  Sharing of root credentials should be avoided as just a
general security mantra.

Do you feel strongly enough about it to debate it with infra and see
what their thoughts are?

Regards,

KAM

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Asst. Treasurer, Apache Software Foundation

Re: PowerDNS web interface

Posted by Dave Jones <da...@apache.org>.

On 05/15/2017 03:52 PM, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
>
> A) My default answer is always going to be add it to the wiki with
> sensitive portions redacted and point to SVN files that are encrypted.
> This follows in kind to how extremely, sensitive items
>
> B) In my line of work, it is absolutely a failure of any security audit
> to use a default password.  It also shouldn't be written even on this list.

I have changed the default admin password and will put it in the
sysadmins repo properly encrypted.

Re: PowerDNS web interface

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <ke...@mcgrail.com>.
Hi Bryan,