Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2007/03/23 20:33:08 UTC

NFS Question

Is it still safe to say that NFS should be avoided, if possible, for
Lucene use?  I know Mike M. has been doing a lot of work to make the
support better, I'm just wondering what the recommendation is.

-Grant

Re: NFS Question

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
"Grant Ingersoll" <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Is it still safe to say that NFS should be avoided, if possible, for
> Lucene use?  I know Mike M. has been doing a lot of work to make the
> support better, I'm just wondering what the recommendation is.

As far as I know, if you make your own deletion policy (which is far
easier than it sounds -- see eg the TestDeletionPolicy unit test) then
NFS should work fine.  At least there are no further known issues.

However it isn't exactly a well explored area so developers should
"proceed with caution" :)

You do need to have the kind of application where it's simple to
characterize when readers will have refreshed to the most recent
commit and thus capture logic on when it's safe to delete prior
commits.  EG if you know "every night I update the index and every
morning all readers refresh" then you just need a "keep last 2
commits" deletion policy.

Mike