Posted to xap-dev@incubator.apache.org by Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com> on 2007/02/02 20:52:46 UTC

XAP 0.3.0 Release Candidate Vote

Thanks for the work over the last week to get the release together and
fix all the issues that were found.

One thing to note:  RAT has been run on all source files and any license
issue related to XAP has been fixed.  Robert, thanks for looking at the
licensing and introducing the RAT tool it was a big help. Some template
files (.html and .css) under Dojo don't have a license and don't in the
Dojo repository.

I have posted a release candidate at:
http://people.apache.org/~bbuffone/xap-release/

Please vote on releasing these packages as Apache XAP 0.3.0.

The vote is open for the next 72 hours, and passes if at least three
+1 votes are cast.  Then the Apache Incubator must vote to allow this
release.  For more information on the voting process, please review
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes.

[ ] +1 Release the packages as Apache XAP 0.3.0 [ ] -1 Do not release
the packages because...

Here is my +1

Bob (Buffone)

Re: XAP 0.3.0 Release Candidate Vote

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/7/07, Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com> wrote:

<snip>

> From now on let's be diligent about making sure the licensing is correct
> on all files and packages going into the repository.  Waiting to the
> last minute just makes it harder.
>
> I guess this is why things are put into incubation first; this way we
> can all learn the lessons.

preparing for the first release proves difficult for most podlings

open source releases have quite a different rhythm from closed source
ones: the tendency is to trade time for quality. good or bad, releases
with my name on keep turning up years down the line. i've come to the
conclusion that the extra effort required to produce a release which i
can feel proud of is worthwhile.

- robert

RE: XAP 0.3.0 Release Candidate Vote

Posted by Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com>.
All of the recommended changes have been committed to the repository.

1.) Headers in the files are now compliant with
http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

Trevor:  Thanks for creating the PHP code to update all the files.

2.) The license and notice file has been updated based on the feedback.

Michael: Can you run the RAT tool on the project to double check the
files are complaint. If everything looks good I will post another build
an open up the voting again.

Is there anything else needed?

Thanks for the work on fixing these things.

From now on let's be diligent about making sure the licensing is correct

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/2/07, Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the work over the last week to get the release together and
> fix all the issues that were found.

+1

sorry for not really prioritising a complete analysis: i will do for
the next few days

> One thing to note:  RAT has been run on all source files and any license
> issue related to XAP has been fixed.  Robert, thanks for looking at the
> licensing and introducing the RAT tool it was a big help. Some template
> files (.html and .css) under Dojo don't have a license and don't in the
> Dojo repository.

that's fine: it's wrong to add new headers

maybe someone might volunteer to let DoJo know (always good to feed
back to upstream)

in the current source,
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/xap/trunk/NOTICE.txt still
needs updating. unless you prefer a separate DISCLAIMER.txt, the
standard incubator disclaimer needs to be included (as well as the
usual apache stuff).

from what i can tell,
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/xap/trunk/buildsystem/JSDoc-1.9.9.2
is licensed under the GPL. from what i can tell, this is only used as
part of the build process. hopefully, people will jump in and correct
any misunderstandings i've made.

this means that we only have policy worries, not legal ones :-)

storing GPL'd code in an apache repository is against policy. users
expect that they can modify any apache source and include it within
their applications without worrying about viral licensing conditions.

i'd recommend removing the source and ask that XAP builders install a
version locally.

- robert

RE: XAP 0.3.0 Release Candidate Vote

Posted by Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com>.
On 2/5/07, Coach Wei <co...@nexaweb.com> wrote:
> I'd recommend continuing on this vote with NOTICE.TXT removed.

here are some personal observations (mentor hat removed)

i usually start new VOTE threads in a situation like this since i find
it easier for myself and others to tally but there's nothing
particular wrong with the suggested approach: whatever works is good.

traditionally, vote threads are subjects prefixed with [VOTE]. ATM the
xap development mailing list is low volume so it's not a problem but
once project momentum starts to build up, only a limited number of
developers will read every email exchange promptly.

--------------------------
We will incorporate the [VOTE] prefix into these types of emails from
now on.

Also there was only one conditional +1 (Coach), on removing JRoller from
the NOTICE.TXT file and adding XAP information.  This has been done and
uploaded so we should be good to go.
--------------------------

> +1 Release the packages (with NOTICE.TXT removed) as Apache XAP 0.3.0

(mentor hat replaced)

getting the NOTICE.txt content right is important. (given the project
style) it needs to contain the apache notices and the incubator
disclaimer. if any licenses composing the release require attribution
then these should be included in the NOTICE.

(the NOTICE replaces the advertising clause found in AL1.0 and AL1.1.
AL2 requires that downstream repackages and modifies retain this file.
some compatible licenses require attribution and this is the right
place for these.)

----------------------------------
The NOTICE.TXT file has been updated with the correct information.
----------------------------------

- robert

Re: XAP 0.3.0 Release Candidate Vote

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Coach Wei <co...@nexaweb.com>.
Great. +1.

It
> is now correct in the repository as well as the release build.
>
> Bob (Buffone)

The

Posted by Bob Buffone <rb...@nexaweb.com>.
Coach,

Posted by Coach Wei <co...@nexaweb.com>.
I'd recommend continuing on this vote with NOTICE.TXT removed.

+1 Release the packages (with NOTICE.TXT removed) as Apache XAP 0.3.0

content of these two "samples" directories are very similar. Is there a

Posted by Coach Wei <co...@nexaweb.com>.

Posted by Scott Boyd <sc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Great work everyone.  All the samples/demos seem to be working fine in
IE 6, IE 7, and FF 2.0.  The logging enhancements James checked in
have a noticeable impact on performance for the widget tests.

Perhaps we can write some Ant tasks which will retrieve the required
version of JSDoc and any other dependencies from their respective
repositories, to assist developers in the task of configuring their
local environment.

I deleted the tag 0.3.0, and created a new tag XAP_0.3.0 to reflect
this release candidate.  I think [product_version] is a better tag
name than simply [version].

-Scott Boyd

Logging, ContainerLifeCycleObject, misc

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
1. I checked in the new logging stuff, without checking in any code that
uses it. That code will be checked in after this release as I don't want
to destabilize stuff right now.

The logger I checked in should be very similar to log4j.

2. I want to remove ContainerLifeCycleObject. It isn't very useful and
using base classes for custom logic is not intuitive in javascript. Here
is what I want to do instead:

When any custom class is put into a container, call "addedToContainer"
on it. (We do this already)
When any custom class is removed from a container, call
"removedFromContainer" on it. (We do this already)
When any custom class is put into a container, if it does not already
have a "getSession" method on it inject one that does the right thing.
(This would be a new behavior)

The third part is the key. The only thing the ContainerLifeCycleObject
really does is automatically provide a getSession(), but we can do that
through injection. (Reminder: right now in an event handler the only way
to get the session is to get it off the event object, or else have
extended ContainerLifeCycleObject.)

We only use ContainerLifeCycleObject in a handful of places and it would
be very easy to remove. I'm all for less code, especially if the code
being removed doesn't really do much anyway.

James Margaris

Vertical and horizontalBoxPane redux

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
After much struggle I think these both should be working well.

The "boxFlex" attribute is now supported, allowing multiple components
within the layout to stretch in proportion to their box flexes.

It seems to work on IE6, IE7 and FF.

James Margaris

Changes to BorderPane

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
Right now BorderPane uses a passive layout rather than an active one.

Passive layout: A layout based on tables or CSS that the browser can
handle without code.
Active layout: A layout that is performed by code that must be called
when the container changes size.

Passive layouts are a better strategy in general because they don't
suffer from weird visual quirks during resizing, don't require code, and
integrate better with plain HTML and other HTML widgets. For an active
layout you have to detect when the size of something changes and cascade
that down to children, which is tricky.

However, certain things are simply not achievable with a passive layout.

The BorderPane we have today works well in Mozilla but in IE it does not
work, it sizes too large vertically. (It does work in quirks mode in IE,
but quirks mode has plenty of other problems)

Our strategy was to divide a border pane into three rows, with the
middle row set to height 100% and the middle cell of the middle row set
to width 100%. In IE this will unfortunately ALWAYS make the center row
100% of the table size as set, which then forces the table to grow
vertically. So if you try to make a 300x300 table it might size to
300x360 instead. (If the the top and bottom rows are both 30px tall)

Converting BorderPane to an active layout fixes these problems. I'm
going to check in a new BorderPane that uses active layout, I've tested
all the samples and they seem to work ok.

I would expect some difference in behavior if you don't set the size of
the BorderPane initially or put it in something like a splitPane that
fixes the size. Under the old scheme the size of the borderPane would
end up calculated as relatively correct because the components were
stuck in a table with the appropriate structure. Now all the children
are just random stacked divs until the borderPane performs layout.

This is annoying, but I would rather have a borderPane that works the
same on all browsers than one with some better edge-case behavior that
doesn't work for simple cases in IE.

James Margaris

Some class name changes

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
Just a head's up, I am changing JsFormatterImpl to AbstractFormatter to be in line with our existing naming, so anyone extending that class needs to make that change. Of course I am changing all the checked-in code to reflect this.

I am also removing DataSetFactory but I doubt any external code would use this.

James Margaris

Re: XAP 0.3.0 tag

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/10/07, James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com> wrote:
>  So I created a 'XAP_0.3.0_RC2'
>
> If nobody objects I will delete the old one, as it serves no purpose.
> And start checking things into trunk again. I'll wait till at least
> Sunday afternoon/evening EST to do either.

subversion tags are cheap so there are no good reasons to delete them
but many good reasons to keep them. here are a couple:

the tag serves as a record of the process which create the release.
public development allows anyone who's interested to follow the
process now or at some time in the future. even given our best
efforts, real development is a messy and imperfect process. there is
no reason to hide this from the community.

there are pragmatic reasons for retention. occasionally, rogue
artifacts turn up possibly years down the line. it's a lot easier to
verify and understand them if the original tags are preserved.

- robert

Re: If you see a ton of changes next time you diff trunk blame me...

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 2/10/07, James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com> wrote:
> So I accidentally deleted trunk...(I blame eclipse, I swear I did not
> even touch my trunk checkout at all)

wow! would that be a bug or just an undocumented feature ;-)

what version of which plugin are you using for svn access?

> It should be back now to the state it was directly before I deleted it.
> On my machine after doing a diff I see a bunch of incoming files but
> when I compare the two files I see no actual changes...just a
> consequence of the delete and revert?

i've take a quick look and it's beyond me

a number of the subversion developers are in the apache infrastructure
team. might be worth seeing if anyone's hanging out on IRC who might
be able to shed some more light on what exactly happened...

- robert

Adding a new component to bug database

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
I'm adding "layouts" as separate from widgets. Will move existing bugs
there as applicable.

James M

Where to next and using JIRA for task tracking.

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
1. We should use JIRA for task tracking, not just bugs. Will make life easier for coordination, testing, etc.

2. We should start a discussion about next steps. Some thing I have in mind:

Performance of all kinds. (Startup and shutdown, memory, etc)

Drag drop support

Better table/tree/treeTable

General rounding out of widgets

Continuous code cleanup

Better documentation, both jsdoc and more general how to build, run, get started, etc

Potentially integrating some Yahoo UI widgets.

---

The last one requires a bit of explanation. YUI has come a long way in a short amount of time, as has YUI-EXT. (Extra widgets and functionality) YUI code is very nice and the documentation is also very nice. YUI widgets also look very nice and seem pretty stable and functional.

I am particularly interested in tree and table. (And some combination of those into a treetable??) A proper table has a lot of functionality - column sorting, resizing, swapping, one-click editors, etc. Maintaining our own table is pretty painful.

However there are some benefits in that our table is a combined tree/table/treeTable in one set of code. AFAIK neither Dojo nor YUI have a good tree table.

I would like to at least do some investigation into YUI. There are many factors to consider - will it integrate with Dojo loading code (and do we even want to do that), is it easier to work with?

The main thing I like about YUI is the level of polish it has. It doesn't cover nearly the breadth of the Dojo libs but what it does do it seems to do better.

James Margaris

Don't bother trying my box pane "fixes"

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
The fixes I made hang IE6 and content comes out the wrong height on IE7...

I'll check in a better set of fixes in the next 24 hours, as soon as I can work through a dojo bug where setOuterHeight() doesn't work for tables...

James Margaris

Whole bunch of changes

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.
Ive checked in all the changes I've made recently, including the new
logging stuff and removal of a bunch of old/unused junk, along with some
refactoring.

Unit tests run but I'm sure I messed something up in the merge. Will
check again tonight on my home machine for incoming changes and try all
the samples/demos.

James Margaris

RE: XAP 0.3.0 tag

XAP 0.3.0 tag

Posted by James Margaris <jm...@nexaweb.com>.

To clarify a bit, dojo has some supporting files that are html and css
only, no code. These do not have any license headers, although they are
clearly part of the dojo codebase.

I don't think it makes sense for us to slap on an Apache license, nor
does it make sense to slap on a dojo license.

It seems to me that if dojo can distribute these files without a license
header that we should as well?

James Margaris

Posted by Michael Turyn <MT...@nexaweb.com>.
+1 vote for the release from me.