Posted to repo-maintainers@maven.apache.org by Contegix Support <su...@contegix.com> on 2008/09/10 10:10:45 UTC

[CNT-20080910.71828]: [sonatype03] - Apache Availibility

Team,

We've received alerts for Apache on Sonatype03 due to max clients being reached. I've bumped the max clients up to 512 to return the site to a usable state, which seems to be working out so far. Unfortunately, unlike what we normally see, there isn't any one IP doing that much damage. It instead appears to just be a barrage of different IPs all holding 30 or less connections. Please let us know if you'd like any further action taken at this time.

Thanks,
-Mark

Mark Rogers
Contegix
Beyond Managed Hosting(r) For Your Enterprise

Re: [CNT-20080910.71828]: [sonatype03] - Apache Availibility

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi repo mainteners & PMCs,

What do you think about this proposal ?
I think it could be a good solution to keep the quality of service of the
central repo ?

arnaud

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Contegix Support <su...@contegix.com>wrote:

> [...]
> maximum ip connections within location tags, so that would allow fine
> grained control over which locations you wanted to limit.
>
> Also, when an ip is maxing out the limit you define, it will force apache
> to return a 503 response code.  You could then define your 503 ErrorDocument
> to be whatever you like.  Even customize it to look like the site itself,
> but of course display an error message saying that you've exceeded your
> connection limit.  Please look this over and let me know if you thing this
> will meet your needs.
>
> Thanks,
> -Chris
>
> ---
> Christopher M. Geers
> Contegix
> Beyond Managed Hosting(r) for Your Enterprise
>

> aheritier@apache.org wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> >   Couldn't we reduce the maximum number of connections from an IP to 20
> or
> > 10 ?
> >   Actually maven doesn't support // downloads.
> >   It can be a problem for corporate environment if a lot of users are
> > downloding artifacts at the same time, they will have the same IP from
> the
> > central point of view.
> >   But we could alert them to install a repository proxy. Could we have a
> > custom error message when an IP exceed its quotas ? What is the HTTP
> error
> > code sent to the user ?
> >
> > Arnaud
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Contegix Support <support@contegix.com
> >wrote:
> >

> >> Team:
> >>
> >> We've received alerts for Apache on Sonatype03 due to max clients being
> >> reached. I've bumped the max clients up to 768 to return the site to a
> >> usable state, which seems to be working out so far. Unfortunately,
> unlike
> >> what we normally see, there isn't any one IP doing that much damage. It
> >> instead appears to just be a barrage of different IPs all holding 30 or
> less
> >> connections. Please let us know if you'd like any further action taken
> at
> >> this time.
> >>

> >> Thanks,
> >> -Chris
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Christopher M. Geers
> >> Contegix
> >> Beyond Managed Hosting(r) for Your Enterprise

> >> reached. I've bumped the max clients up to 512 to return the site to a
> >> usable state, which seems to be working out so far. Unfortunately,
> unlike
> >> what we normally see, there isn't any one IP doing that much damage. It
> >> instead appears to just be a barrage of different IPs all holding 30 or
> less
> >> connections. Please let us know if you'd like any further action taken

Arnaud HERITIER
OCTO Technology - aheritier AT octo DOT com
www.octo.com | blog.octo.com
ASF - aheritier AT apache DOT org
www.apache.org | maven.apache.org

[CNT-20080910.71828]: [sonatype03] - Apache Availibility

Posted by Contegix Support <su...@contegix.com>.
Arnaud:

Posted by Contegix Support <su...@contegix.com>.
I'm reviewing this and will reply shortly.

Thanks,
-Chris

---

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@apache.org>.
Hi guys,

Posted by Contegix Support <su...@contegix.com>.
Team:

We've received alerts for Apache on Sonatype03 due to max clients being reached. I've bumped the max clients up to 768 to return the site to a usable state, which seems to be working out so far. Unfortunately, unlike what we normally see, there isn't any one IP doing that much damage. It instead appears to just be a barrage of different IPs all holding 30 or less connections. Please let us know if you'd like any further action taken at this time.

Thanks,
-Chris

---