Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by VMiklos <vm...@frugalware.org> on 2006/01/06 21:43:11 UTC

svn (even 1.3) smp build problems

hi

is a known issue that svn (even 1.3) does not compile with make -j2?

you can reach the end of the build log at
http://frugalware.org/~vmiklos/logs/subversion-1.3.0-1-i686.short.log

using make -j1 solves the problem

if you want, i can put out the full buildlog

i'm not subscribed, so pls cc me

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

--
Developer of Frugalware Linux, to make things frugal - http://frugalware.org

Re: svn (even 1.3) smp build problems

Posted by Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>.
[VMiklos]
> you don't use -jfoo during make install, just for make. and as i said
> the problem occurs during the install target

Well, it's not like -j is *useful* during 'make install'.  At that
stage you're dealing in disk bandwidth, not CPU power.

Re: svn (even 1.3) smp build problems

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Saturday 07 January 2006 14:17, VMiklos wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 09:33:44AM +1100, Samay <ge...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> > builds & works fine for -j2/3/4/5/ scenarios with our setup. below is
> > abridged "emerge info" snap-shot fyi ..
>
> cmiiw, but as far as i see, you don't use -jfoo during make install,
> just for make. and as i said the problem occurs during the install
> target

I use it all the time and have never seen this problem. *shrug*

-john

Re: svn (even 1.3) smp build problems

Posted by VMiklos <vm...@frugalware.org>.

Posted by Samay <ge...@hotmail.com>.
> is a known issue that svn (even 1.3) does not compile with make -j2?
>
> you can reach the end of the build log at
> http://frugalware.org/~vmiklos/logs/subversion-1.3.0-1-i686.short.log
>
> using make -j1 solves the problem
>
> if you want, i can put out the full buildlog
>
> i'm not subscribed, so pls cc me
>
> udv / greetings,
> VMiklos
>
> --
> Developer of Frugalware Linux, to make things frugal -
> http://frugalware.org

builds & works fine for -j2/3/4/5/ scenarios with our setup. below is
abridged "emerge info" snap-shot fyi ..

default-linux/x86/2005.0, gcc-3.4.4-hardenednopiessp, glibc-2.3.5-r2,
2.6.12-gentoo-r6 i686
System uname: 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
dev-lang/python:     2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.12
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.20
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -fomit-frame-pointer"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"

Re: svn (even 1.3) smp build problems

Posted by VMiklos <vm...@frugalware.org>.
On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:47:28PM +0000, Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> wrote:
> VMiklos <vm...@frugalware.org> writes:
>
> > is a known issue that svn (even 1.3) does not compile with make -j2?
>
> 'make -jN' certainly works for building Subversion.  If you are
> building neon/apr/bdb then it may still be necessary to build the
> 'external-all' target before building 'local-all' or 'all'.
>
> > you can reach the end of the build log at
> > http://frugalware.org/~vmiklos/logs/subversion-1.3.0-1-i686.short.log
>
> You failed to state exactly which command you tried :-(  It looks like
> it's 'make install' that's failing, it's possible that the 'install'
> target doesn't support parallel builds.

make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/fst/pkg install is the command which fails

udv / greetings,
VMiklos

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.