Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by vi...@lightningcast.com on 2003/03/11 21:19:55 UTC

About "Conflicting namespace declaration"

I have a doubt regarding section B.1.2: in the dom 3 core spec and how the new normalization routines will be implemented.

In the example :
<root>
  <ns:child1 xmlns:ns="http://www.example.org/ns1">
    <ns:child2/>
  </ns:child1>
</root>

here child2 intends to use the parent's interpretation of namespace ns ("http://www.example.org/ns1"). THEN,

Using the method Node.renameNode, the namespace URI of the element child1 is renamed from "http://www.example.org/ns1" to "http://www.example.org/ns2".

Here is where the normalization is supposed to happen and the result, as per the standards, is supposed to look like :

<root>
  <ns:child1 xmlns:ns="http://www.example.org/ns2">
    <ns:child2  xmlns:ns="http://www.example.org/ns1"/>
  </ns:child1>
</root>

I am not debating the standards. But logically, doesnt this look incorrect ? I mean, child2 is not specifying the value for the namespace and intends to use the parent's namespace decl. So, if we rename the parent's namespace ns, child should automatically inherit that same name. Logically, I would expect the normalization routine to change nothing in this scenario and let the output be :
<root>
  <ns:child1 xmlns:ns="http://www.example.org/ns2">
    <ns:child2/>
  </ns:child1>