Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Dan Lester <da...@danlester.com> on 2008/02/07 17:39:15 UTC

Getting Gadget Info without rendering gadget

Let's say I have a directory of gadgets that users might want to run on
my site, entered only by URL. I want to display more information about
each gadget to the user so they can make a choice about which gadgets
they might want to run - so, I would want to extract information from
the XML such as author name, thumbnail, description.

So far, I have ripped out bits of code from GadgetRenderingServlet.java,
doing most of the same things as the /ifr servlet except for actually
rendering the gadget. This seems to work, and even uses the same cache I
think. But I just thought there must be a better way? If not, is it
worth adding a class to do this?

I've decided to build the whole site in Java so that I can do things
like this. I'm not sure what I'd do if I was using another language for
the rest of my site.

Thanks for any guidance!

Dan

Re: Getting Gadget Info without rendering gadget

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Dan Lester <da...@danlester.com> wrote:

> Just a thought: rpc should cater for the 'nocache' attribute - either in
> another input field or with query /rpc?nocache=1.

Yes, this will be added. We should probably open JIRA issues for these
things. Right now it can be resolved by making it so that instead of passing
a dummy ProcessingOptions down to GadgetServer, it passes an
HttpProcessingOptions, which will extract nocache params (amongst other
things).

Eventually, I'd like to refactor the JsonRpc stuff to a generic Rpc
interface so that we can support any wire format (JSON, XML, SOAP,
whatever). This is especially important to large organizations using shindig
that already have custom rpc infrastructure.

--
~Kevin

If you received this email by mistake, please delete it, cancel your mail
account, destroy your hard drive, silence any witnesses, and burn down the
building that you're in.

RE: Getting Gadget Info without rendering gadget

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Akash Xavier <ak...@gmail.com>.
Dan,
Are you working on a php container?
Can u share some details with others on how you implemented it?

--
Akash Xavier
akashmanohar@gmail.com

RE: Getting Gadget Info without rendering gadget

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.