Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Sravan Duggaraju <sa...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/02 00:21:57 UTC

[Urgent] Digester and Configuration

Hi,
I am using lot of XML configuration files for my new application,And i was
searching for the tools to read the  structured properties.
I found two tools commons -->digester and configuration.

1)Which one is the appropriate tool to read the XmlConfiguration files.
2)I did not find good examples(documentation) for Commons
configuration.Where can i get the examples?

I really appreciate your responce.

Thanks
SanDi

Re: [Urgent] Digester and Configuration

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
I second what Jacob said, except I *have* used (and continue to use)
Digester, a lot.
I think this article
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/10/23/digester.html was what I
used to learn it.

Hubert

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
There is one final difference between Digester and XmlConfiguration that
I may as well note before this thread finishes.

Digester does reduce the dependencies of an application; the only code
that depends directly on Digester is the initialisation code, and
thereafter an application is accessing "its own" objects. Once
initialisation is complete, Digester code is no longer needed.

Using XmlConfiguration, however, means that *every* part of the app that
wants to access config data will contain direct dependencies on
org.apache.commons.configuration classes.

However digester's benefit comes at the cost of having to write Digester
rules. And if the data is being imported into "temporary" objects
written explicitly to represent the config data, then there's the price
of writing the associated classes too.

So as is often the case, which is better depends upon the goals and
constraints for your project.

Regards,

Simon

Posted by Sravan Duggaraju <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marco Mistroni <mm...@waersystems.com>.
Hello,
	I have also lot of xml config file and I try to use digester as much
as I can..

But  structure of my config files are not

Property=value

It's usually more 'complicated'

Like
<main>
  <elem1>
	<Props>
         <name>
         <value>

And usually I use an xml rule file that lists the rules to apply for
digester

With digester (though you are not forced to do that) you'll need do create
objects that will be mapped to xml elements (anyone pls correct me If I  m
wrong, but usually that's the way to go for digester)

Is It worth for your config files?

If yes, go for digester.....

HTH
	marco