Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> on 2004/05/04 15:40:48 UTC

groups syncing to ibiblio

Howdy,

Currently we have Apache devs depositing artifacts into a directory
which gets sync'd to ibiblio. Mark Diggory has ironed out the scripts
that we're using from the ibiblio machine so I would like to open up the
option that Apache is using to other groups. The first group I would
like to try this with is Codehaus. So I would like to do the exact same
thing, let them have a directory on their server which is accessible via
rsync and pull artifacts into ibiblio.

In this case it is a matter of trust and I don't think there is a
problem with Codehaus and it would take a chunk of the requests out of
JIRA.

Also, are there any other candidates for this? ObjectWeb possibly, it's
really a matter of who the devs here know personally.

This, of course, is only a stopgap until the automated uploads work but
it will take a little bit of the burden off.

Anyone object to having a sync setup for Codehaus --> ibiblio?

I would like to set it up ASAP.

+1

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

Re: groups syncing to ibiblio

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Mauro Talevi wrote:

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> No, you missunderstood me, we're not breaking up the repository, its
>> still all one, just organizing it better for management purposes, the
>> directory structure is not different virtual machines.
>>
>> maven.ibibilio.org/apache/<project>
>> maven.ibibilio.org/codehaus/<project>
>>
>> same thing as
>>
>> www.ibibilio.org/maven/apache/<project>
>> www.ibibilio.org/maven/codehaus/<project>
>>
>> Ultimately the issue here is in organization/group/artifact id's
>> being more hierarchical, not separating out into separate repositories.
>

> I undestand what you're saying, but from the point of view of the
> maven client these are two separate remote repos.
>
> I saw the big advantage of ibiblio as being a source-agnostic
> repository of projects artifacts with a flat structure.
> Else you would need a "all others" organization level for projects
> that don't fit into any other category.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is if the benefits of the organizational
> structure are outweighted by the loss of simplicity and generality.

We are discussing the future Maven2 client/repository here, not the
current client. In the future Repository URI syntax there is a
positional space in the uri for "organization" so that the content can
be organized by the following

Sorry if this caused confusion,
Mark

Re: groups syncing to ibiblio

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Mauro Talevi wrote:

> Mark,
>
> separating maven repositories by organizations sort of defeates the
> point of putting them in a common unique place such as ibiblio.
> That is, once could two different url, say
> dist.apache.org
> dist.codehaus.org
> and those can be set on the client side as the maven repos
> (this is done to access the codehaus.org jars currently)
>
> The nice thing about the maven repository is that it agnostic of
> the origin of the artifacts, it just cares about the name of the
> artifact group, ie the structure underneath ibiblio.org/maven.
>
> That said, one could - for operational/organizational purposes -
> have different upload areas for different orgs, but
> then the artifacts themselves should really be put into a single repo.
>
> Cheers,
> Mauro

No, you missunderstood me, we're not breaking up the repository, its
still all one, just organizing it better for management purposes, the
directory structure is not different virtual machines.

maven.ibibilio.org/apache/<project>
maven.ibibilio.org/codehaus/<project>

same thing as

www.ibibilio.org/maven/apache/<project>
www.ibibilio.org/maven/codehaus/<project>

Ultimately the issue here is in organization/group/artifact id's being
more hierarchical, not separating out into separate repositories.

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Re: groups syncing to ibiblio

Posted by Mauro Talevi <ma...@aquilonia.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 08:53, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> I think its a great idea to have other organizations who wish to rsync
> use the script. But this should be a decision within those groups, if
> you are a member of that groups and you object, you should take it up
> with that group. The rsync is a management tool to make the repository
> managers jobs easier.

This is exactly the tact taken with the Codehaus artifacts. In this
particular case Maven is closely connected with Codehaus, but I still
discussed things with Bob (the codehaus despot) to arrange everything.

> The goal here is to build a stable and scalable repository of trusted
> content, not to have a "anarchy" diskspace where you can't trust anyones
> content. To do this requires stronger "institutional" management of the
> larger groups like Apache, Codehaus etc. and the proper signing (both
> md5 and pgp) of artifacts...

Having a sync from Codehaus would infact be a step in the right
direction.

> With this is mind, Jason, how close are we to having "hierarchical"
> organization/group directories? My point is that it would be far easier
> for us to control any overlap in projects if the organizations were
> isolated into separate directories.
>
> for instance
>
> www.ibiblio.org/maven/apache/<project>
> www.ibiblio.org/maven/codehaus/<project>
>
> also, is it possible to get virtual host names out of Ibiblio, ie
>
> maven.ibiblio.org/apache/<project>
> maven.ibiblio.org/codehaus/<project>
>
> Maybe this is something we can really push for version two, before there
> are too many dependent projects?

It's one of the things on the list but will be more a requisite for the
first beta release of maven2. The first alpha will use the existing
format. It's really not a technical problem, more a matter of deciding
the format which will most likely come to the fore when the first alpha
of wagon goes out the door

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
I have a sense that someone is misinterpreting the purpose of rsyncing
between Apache and Ibiblio. We setup the rsync based on the the
following criteria/decisions:

1.) Organizational Management: Apache has to be the canonical release
point for all Apache content. This means that if there is an Apache
package in ibiblio that is not placed there via the rsync process, then
we should discuss means of getting it back over on Apache. No Apache
project now actually requires a ibiblio account to get its content onto
ibiblio, they already have apache accounts and can easily do it there.
No rouge developers should put Apache content into the ibiblio
directory, they should consult with Apache to get it added to our
repository which is then rsynced.

2.) Scalability and Workload: Having either "everyone" with a project
have an account at ibiblio or send email/jira requests in that have to
be "manually" processed is not scalable. The goal behind the Apache
rsync is to alleviate also this problem. Apache has a fairly high trust
relationship between its developers and with mirroring/rsync already
available throughout the world, this is just an extension of that trust
relationship.

Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

RE: groups syncing to ibiblio

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 11:48, Vincent Massol wrote:

> > Why should aspectwerkz artifacts that you place in ibiblio take
> > precedence over what the AspectWerkz developers actually have moved to
> > ibiblio?
>
> Whatever is newer should take precedence.

Not if the difference is between the project and third party. We're only
starting to have the capability to allow projects govern their own
artifact deployment to Ibiblio. In the cases where projects have direct
control we no long have any say. What they deploy rules.

> Anyway, here are my 2 reasons:
>
> 1/ Simply because otherwise I won't be able to help on this subject. A
> pity I think as I could have helped as I was currently doing (and I've
> done my share of ibiblio uploads).

You don't need to for projects that have direct access, but all the
other requests you can still certainly help.

> 2/ Because if a project jar is released by the project under an open
> source license I don't see why it matters to get the authorization from
> that project to put it up on ibiblio.

You don't legally, it's a matter of courtesy. If the project has access
to ibiblio they should dictate what goes into ibiblio and this will be a

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

that project to put it up on ibiblio. Ideally I agree it would be nice,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.