Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Miguel Ferreira <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2013/10/03 15:54:41 UTC

blurry fonts

hi,
someone 2 years ago raise this problem:http://forums.adobe.com/thread/786727
Blurry fonts on spark vs halo components.
There is a way to prevent this?
I am finalizing a updated to my costumer from flex 4.1.0 to flex 4.10.0 and the fonts really look horrible.I am also using the MXFTEText.css   to force the rendering.
There is some way to make it better... is like the users will have headaches reading this text.

Thank you in advance.Miguel

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Nemi <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I have that problem also. For example I can't find a way to use pixel fonts
with Spark Label, without font to be blurry. It works ok with MX Label.
Could it be that this issue is related to ugly text spacing when scaling
Spark components: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4919330

Did you find a solution?

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Simon Gladman <sg...@gmail.com>.
Loads of my personal work used Gill Sans without a problem - check out
http://flexmonkey.blogspot.com/

Simon
_________________________
+44 (0) 7973 669691
sgladman@gmail.com

RE: blurry fonts

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I'm not an expert in this area, but my understanding is that an OTF file can contain TTF or CFF data.  CFF uses different curvature control points than TTF.   If the data is in TTF format, the curves have to be converted and there could be fidelity issues.  If the data is already in CFF format then you should be seeing it as good as it gets.

-Alex
src:url("Fonts/ArialUnicodeMS_Regular.otf");
unicodeRange: U+0020-007E, U+03A9;
embedAsCFF: false;
fontStyle:normal;
fontWeight:normal;
}

How I embed for Spark:

@font-face {
fontFamily:arial_s;
src:url("Fonts/ArialUnicodeMS_Regular.otf");
unicodeRange: U+0020-007E;
embedAsCFF: true;
fontWeight:normal;
fontStyle:normal;
}

Doesn't the "embedAsCFF:true;" line above implement the glyph conversion requirement that you're referring to?

Or, are you saying I need to use a source file having a .cff extension instead of .otf (or .ttf)?
All the documentation I've seen just says to set the embedAsCFF switch as above. For example:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf69084-7f5f.html

Let me know if I'm missing something.

It occurs to me that the issue may be in the transcoding of the font. The Spark components use the underlying flash.text.engine classes which use CFF fonts. If you are embedding TTF, then I believe a glyph conversion has to happen. It may be that if you can find a font file that has its glyphs encoded as CFF it will look better.

-Alex

Hi all thank you for all the information.

I was out and just today i came back to the office.

So, i will write a resume of my working solution.

Font: OpenSans link:<a href="http&#58;&#47;&#47;www.google.com&#47;fonts&#47;specimen&#47;Open&#43;Sans" target="_blank" class="newlyinsertedlink">http&#58;&#47;&#47;www.google.com&#47;fonts&#47;specimen&#47;Open&#43;Sans</a>

on the global css turned off the kerning:

global
{
kerning: off;
fontFamily: main;
fontSize: 11;
}

how the fonts are embebed:

@font-face
{
src: url("assets/fonts/OpenSans-Regular.ttf");
fontFamily: AppFont;
fontStyle: normal;
fontWeight: normal;
embedAsCFF: true;
}

@font-face
{
src: url("assets/fonts/OpenSans-Italic.ttf");
fontFamily: AppFont;
fontStyle: italic;
fontWeight: normal;
embedAsCFF: true;
}

@Alex: Thanks for the info about the playerglobal.
i tried with the version 10.2 when it worked well,but when i tried the configuration above and the result was also good in the version 11.8 i choose for the last version.

In this moment i will have to change components to spark like forms, datagrid, images, spacers, etc...
And for the next release is +1 application on Apache Flex SDK 4.10!

Thanks for all that help and that maintain the community alive!

Best regards,
Miguel

> From: mihai.chira@gmail.com
> Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 19:52:01 +0100
> Subject: Re: blurry fonts
> To: users@flex.apache.org
>
> The way I did it was to edit the font file directly using Type
> Light<http://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html>.
> I went into Font->Font Options..., deselected Kerning and saved it on top
> of the original font file. With this treatment, the font does not trigger
> the bug I mentioned, yet is still readable. I did not turn off kerning as
> suggested by Maurice. I'm not even sure it would have made a difference now
> that the font did not have this information to begin with.
>
> If you're using another OS, I'm sure there is another good font editor that
> you can use to make this change.
>
> Hope it helps.
>

> On 4 October 2013 18:43, Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>wrote:
>
>> Ah, ok.

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by mo...@comcast.net.

RE: blurry fonts

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Nemi <ne...@gmail.com>.
I still got blurry fonts issue, but I got it less blurry, especially for
small sizes, with liberation-sans.ttf font.

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by mo...@comcast.net.

RE: blurry fonts

Posted by Miguel Ferreira <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Mihai Chira <mi...@gmail.com>.

RE: blurry fonts

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Ah, ok.

Mihai's post below states to remove kerning to avoid a bug:

However, if you're going to use it, make sure you remove the kerning information inside it until we have a resolution for this bug< https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-33779 > .

However, usually text is more readable when kerning is on, especially for some letters combinations, eg AV and things like that.
So why would you turn it off?

Maurice

I like peoples suggestions for embedded fonts that look nice.

Just curious though, how does one remove the kerning? Do you need special font software to manipulate this? Or, is it done directly in the font file somehow? Or, done using actionscript code? etc.

> But the question for me is, that will depend of the user player?
> For the older version is more redable but even so with the font opensans
> the difference is smaller.
> There is some font that the guy from the new renderer adivce?Because if
> they say that is better they should have some study cases were they can
> prove that.
> So maybe they can advice on good font for a flex enterprise
> application.Where the user work with it between 4 to 8 hours per day.
> Because with that blurry foggy fonts will be a nightmare.
> Thanks alex for be always available... almost 24/7
> Miguel
> > From: aharui@adobe.com
> > To: users@flex.apache.org
> > Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 23:40:44 -0700
> > Subject: Re: blurry fonts
> >
> > Did you try it with an older swf version?
> >
> > On 10/3/13 11:08 PM, "Miguel Ferreira" <mi...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Thank you all,
> > >I am trying with another font type to see if i can have a better
> > >results.Because of the "better" rendering was one of my key issues to
> > >update to the last version to try to keep up with the Apache evolution,
> > >but after the project manager saw the result was really hard to convince
> > >him that we are on the right path following the steps and evolution of
> > >Apache releases.
> > >I tried OpenSans and i have a better result but on the edges if we go to
> > >detail we can see that is not perfect is still a little bit foggy!
> > >Another font suggestion is always welcome?
> > >@tom
> > >"- it took some experimenting with the various hinting options for
> > >can you tell what combinations you did that worked out?
> > >Thanks,Miguel

> no
> not
> spacing.

> Flex

> and
> an
> an
> try

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by mo...@comcast.net.

RE: blurry fonts

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
global {
    kerning: off;
}

However, usually text is more readable when kerning is on, especially for some letters combinations, eg AV and things like that.
So why would you turn it off?

Maurice

I like peoples suggestions for embedded fonts that look nice.

Just curious though, how does one remove the kerning? Do you need special font software to manipulate this? Or, is it done directly in the font file somehow? Or, done using actionscript code? etc.

> But the question for me is, that will depend of the user player?
> For the older version is more redable but even so with the font opensans
> the difference is smaller.
> There is some font that the guy from the new renderer adivce?Because if
> they say that is better they should have some study cases were they can
> prove that.
> So maybe they can advice on good font for a flex enterprise
> application.Where the user work with it between 4 to 8 hours per day.
> Because with that blurry foggy fonts will be a nightmare.
> Thanks alex for be always available... almost 24/7
> Miguel
> > From: aharui@adobe.com
> > To: users@flex.apache.org
> > Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 23:40:44 -0700
> > Subject: Re: blurry fonts
> >
> > Did you try it with an older swf version?
> >
> > On 10/3/13 11:08 PM, "Miguel Ferreira" <mi...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Thank you all,
> > >I am trying with another font type to see if i can have a better
> > >results.Because of the "better" rendering was one of my key issues to
> > >update to the last version to try to keep up with the Apache evolution,
> > >but after the project manager saw the result was really hard to convince
> > >him that we are on the right path following the steps and evolution of
> > >Apache releases.
> > >I tried OpenSans and i have a better result but on the edges if we go to
> > >detail we can see that is not perfect is still a little bit foggy!
> > >Another font suggestion is always welcome?
> > >@tom
> > >"- it took some experimenting with the various hinting options for
> > >can you tell what combinations you did that worked out?
> > >Thanks,Miguel

> no
> not
> spacing.

> Flex

> and
> an
> an
> try

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by mo...@comcast.net.

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Mihai Chira <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hey Miguel,

RE: blurry fonts

Posted by Miguel Ferreira <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
And, by the way, the ability to configure your SDK to an older player
version is a feature only in Apache Flex, so this is a good reason to have
switched.

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: blurry fonts

Posted by Miguel Ferreira <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 04/10/2013 07:08, Miguel Ferreira wrote:
> Another font suggestion is always welcome?
We like Roboto Medium.

Tom

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: blurry fonts

Posted by Miguel Ferreira <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you all,
I am trying with another font type to see if i can have a better results.Because of the "better" rendering was one of my key issues to update to the last version to try to keep up with the Apache evolution, but after the project manager saw the result was really hard to convince him that we are on the right path following the steps and evolution of Apache releases.
I tried OpenSans and i have a better result but on the edges if we go to detail we can see that is not perfect is still a little bit foggy!

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I can't find the email thread, but the answer I got was that there is no
equivalent of gridFitType because the new font rendering algorithm is
"better".  IIRC, it is "better" because it employs some anti-aliasing
algorithm on all edges, not just one ones that are unlucky enough to not
fall on pixel boundaries, and doesn't mess with inter-character spacing.

That said, several folks are unhappy with this algorithm.  One experiment
for you to try now that we have more version flexibility in Apache Flex is
to set your player/air versions back to whatever it was in 4.1 or even
4.0.  That might cause the player to select an older rendering algorithm.

HTH,
-Alex

On 10/3/13 7:24 AM, "modjklist@comcast.net" <mo...@comcast.net> wrote:

>I've always had problems with embedded fonts in 4.5.1 SDK. I've tried so
>much to overcome it. Seems no matter which version of Arial or Helvetica
>I embed, the spark text always looks shorter and fat (e.g. blurry), and
>the mx text looks tall and skinny. The hinting options, while having an
>effect, don't seem to correct this. If anyone has settings that make an
>embedded font (Arial or Helvetica) look normal, I'd really like to try
>them.

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by mo...@comcast.net.

Re: blurry fonts

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

RE: textflow configuration manageTabkey

Posted by After24 <vi...@after24.net>.
Hi Miguel,

Another option may be to handle the tab key by assigning a custom
EditManager (extending flashx.textLayout.edit.EditManager) to the TextFlow :

	/public class CustomEditManager extends EditManager
	{
		override public function keyDownHandler(event:KeyboardEvent):void
		{
			if (event.keyCode == 9)
			{
			 	// Your implementation
			}
		}
	}/

And assigning this custom EditManager to the TextFlow :

/yourTextFlow.interactionManager = new CustomEditManager();
/

Miguel Ferreira wrote