Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Clarence GUO <cl...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/14 07:47:07 UTC

For XLS, how does Excel represent a array data source of chart in the binary format?

For Excel chart data source, there are 3 kinds of data source.
1) Reference a cell range directly
2) Reference to a name which is a cell range or a formula which returns a
cell range reference or returns a matrix.
3) Assign arrays to individual data series, for example a series was
assigned {1,2,3} as chart data.

>From MSDN, I know Excel 2003 uses BRAI record to specify data source of a
series. For case 1 and 2, it is that like the description. But for case 3,
I find many fields of BRAI record are empty but they are not in case 1 and
2. These fields should be used to represent valid data series souce.
I'm trying to support case 3 in Symphony, but I don't know how Excel 2003
represents a array in data series. Could anybody who knows it tell me?

Clarence

Re: For XLS, how does Excel represent a array data source of chart in the binary format?

Posted by Clarence GUO <cl...@gmail.com>.
I got the answer.
MS Excel uses cache mechanism for chart data source. In general, it uses
BRAI record to store the cell references or formulas which is used by chart
data source. At meanwhile, at the end of the chart sub-stream, the cached
data will be also stored by Dimensions record and  a series of Number
records and SIIndex records.
For matrix chart data source, there's no valid data in BRAI records. But
the matrix data will be stored in Number records. Each record is a double
value of a chart data point. And Dimensions record is used to represent the
dimensions of the matrix.