Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Matt Baron <mb...@fastmail.com> on 2020/05/27 02:11:19 UTC

[java] [tomcat] Is there a trick to deploying a web app to Tomcat?

Software: NetBeans 11.3, Tomcat 8.8.55.

I have a simple, out of the box Maven web/servlet app that is effectively a "Hello world" app.

When I set it up to run in a Wildfly or GlassFish server it deploys and runs fine, with no special configuration other than setting up the "Server" in NetBeans.

When I set it up to run in Tomcat, the entire deployment (as in when I hit the Run button) seems to hang. It will start the Tomcat server, but the war file is never copied anywhere in $CATALINA_HOME. The NetBeans GUI hourglasses, saying "Waiting for tomcat", despite the Catalina log saying the server started just fine.

If I manually copy the war file to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps, Tomcat will automatically deploy the war file with no issues.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

Re: [java] [tomcat] Is there a trick to deploying a web app to Tomcat?

Posted by Matt Baron <mb...@fastmail.com>.
Running 12.0 Beta 5, I had no issues at all with these versions of Tomcat. Thanks again!

apache-tomcat-8.5.55/

apache-tomcat-9.0.30/

apache-tomcat-9.0.35/

--
 Matt Baron
mbaron.netbeans@fastmail.com

Posted by Matt Baron <mb...@fastmail.com>.

Posted by zeugme <ze...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I can confirm.
There is a bug on Tomcat launch with previous version of NB, at least
version 11.
It works fine with version 12 beta.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Baron <mb...@fastmail.com>.
Thank you Rene! Tomcat 9.0.30 worked perfectly.

Posted by René Aravena <re...@gmail.com>.