Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Andrew Chen <ac...@cobaltgroup.com> on 2000/07/20 22:31:51 UTC

Re: PerlRun question [RESOLVED]

Perrin, Ken, Honza, and all others that helped:

The problem was actually that I wasn't clearing %INC properly after
flushing out all the dirty modules. After doing that everything started
working properly.

So anyway, I wrote an Perl script and installed it as an
PerlCleanupHandler. I stole code from the PerlRun source code so that,
instead of just flushing it's immediate variables, it actually actively
looks around into other packages and clears them out as well. Thus we are
flushing out some of the dirty modules that were causing us problems while
keeping the clean modules in memory. Basically we have the advantages of
PerlRun with PerlRunOnce Off without the headache of changing the existing
codebase (even though there is a little overhead with this cleanup
script).

The affect of this is that we have database pooling as well as a
significant performance boost (between 50%-200%) without having to change
a single line of code. We plan on slowly migrating all our code to add to
our "keep" list, which will increase performance even more.

Another mod_perl success :)

Anyway, thanks a lot-- this mailing list really did help a lot.

Andrew

Re: PerlRun question [RESOLVED]

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@primenet.com>.
On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Andrew Chen wrote:
> Another mod_perl success :)

Congratulations!  If you have a chance, you might want to write a brief
desccription for the Success Stories page at
http://perl.apache.org/stories/.

- Perrin