Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2006/07/25 12:34:36 UTC

Geronimo site POC using Confluence & Autoexport

I had been wanting to use Confluence as the primary Geronimo website
for a while now... and finally just went and created proof of concept
that it might actually work... check out:

     http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSITE/

Looks familiar?  It should, cause its the same layout that we have on
http://geronimo.apache.org (with a new minor changes).

I have not done much content wise... but I did get all of the side
navigation pages setup and rendering from "SideNav *" pages (each has
its own page)... though most of those links point to non-existent
pages (hence the +).

Looks like there is a still a bit more work that needs to be done to
refine the autoexpert plugin... like the news links in the "Geronimo
News" section which are Confluence news pages link you to the
Confluence page, not the exported page (http://cwiki.apache.org/
GMOxSITE/2006/07/25/test-news-post.html).

Also some more dynamic stuff, like adding new news does not
automatically export the pages.  I think this is okay, we can auto
export on a periodic schedule to get around this limitation... or
just fix the plugin to be a tad more intelligent.

I've attached the vsl if anyone is interested to see the magic needed
to get autoexport to do this...

  * * *

Anyways, something to think about... I think its got a lot of
potential (or I would not still be up at 3am hacking on it) :-)

--jason

Re: Geronimo site POC using Confluence & Autoexport

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Jason,

This is really great!

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
IMO, there are 2 major issues that need to be resolved before we
could make this work for our main website:

1) Add a scheduled export feature to AutoExport (w/per space
configuration)

2) We need access to the file-system that AutoExport uses to write
static pages so we can massage them a bit and check them into SVN, so
we can use the mechanism on people.apache.org:/www to sync
geronimo.apache.org.

  * * *

#1 also implies what we have access to the local file system to
install a new version of the plugin... and have perms to restart
Confluence to get the changes picked up.

We also need to get the Utilities plugin installed, so that we can
make use of a few other advanced macros which will help us make a
more flexible and dynamic site.

  * * *

I guess if we were forced to.... we could write a cronjob to "click"
export on the admin page to export every hour or so.  Which means
someones account credentials are in the open... :-(

And we could probably use a something to suck down all of the static
pages via http and then use that as the basis for massaging (fixing
hostname, etc) and then check that into SVN.

Though... the sync to people and then the sync that it does to make a
site live will really slow down the edit-view-public cycle.

I wish we had more control over our own websites.... :-(

--jason

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Print and Export to PDF buttons are now enabled too.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Jason Dillon wrote:
> FYI... I've updated to include most of the pages from the main site...
> but have not fully converted them.  But now you can get a better feel
> for how the site might look:
>
>      http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSITE/
>
> --jason

Looks really great!

Regards,
Alan

Re: Geronimo site POC using Confluence & Autoexport

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I used TimTam a long time ago, and it was really cool... but I don't
believe it supports offline editing.

Or is that a new feature?

--jason

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Jul 27, 2006, at 6:42 PM, John Sisson wrote:
> A bit off topic, do you know of any tools to edit pages offline
> (where you can have a WYSIWYG view of the page) other than
> installing a confluence server on my notebook?

Not that I am aware of :-(

I just end up installing a confluence server.

Someone should embed the personal server into a RCP (Eclipse or
NetBeans) and then provide a mechanism to sync one local space to a
remote space (complete pull sync, selective push sync).

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
I think it would be worthwhile continuing to work on this but I think we
need to sort out some of the issues mentioned below before we switch
over so any committer can update the site without requiring assistance
from Infra or yourself.  I also agree with Matt's comment about it being
preferable to be able to make changes to the site but not have the
changes go live instantly.

A bit off topic, do you know of any tools to edit pages offline (where
you can have a WYSIWYG view of the page) other than installing a
confluence server on my notebook?

Thanks,
John

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I wonder if we could go back to running our own Confluence server in
our zone... but only to serve as the editing platform... so we could
install the plugins we want and implement the procedure we need to
sync up to the "real" website.

That... and its a bit safer in that someone won't nuke all of our
content when then accidentally import a different install (not just a
space export).

And it would make it easier for use to backup too... since right new
we are getting timeouts when exporting that Hernan was talking about.

--jason

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2006, at 7:41 AM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
>> anyway, web site authoring aside, what are the benefits of moving all
>> the cwiki content, just a change in the URL? what is the issue if we
>> have pointers back and forth on both sites?
>
> Um what do you mean by "moving all the cwiki content"?

I thought I saw a trend for moving content over the main web site (KB,
maven, ...). Anyway, just my perception.

> Anyway, we use cwiki to edit our main site, the internal URLs need to
> point to geronimo.apache.org or all of our web traffic will end up on
> the cwiki server and infra will be very upset.

Yup, but we are not discussing where to host the web site. As I said in
the previous note, "... I think that the effort of authoring the web
site ( just the web site ) is worth pursuing ..."

>> Just as an example, we initially had the FAQ on the web site (well,
>> had others in the old wiki and spread out throughout the
>> documentation), then we created a KB space in confluence and
>> consolidated all FAQ into that space. Why take it back to
>> geronimo.apache.org/KB? In the web site there is a link on every
>> single page pointing directly to the KB in the cwiki.
>
> IMO, it would be best if we exported the KB space and rewrote the
> internal urls to be within geronimo.apache.org.  This would keep the KB
> traffic on the main apache server.

Do we know how much traffic we have over the KB space now, both view and
edit?

I don't really see the benefit of moving the space into the main site, I
think it is more a personal preference than any other thing, I'm cool
with that.

The way I (personally) see it is that we develop the content on
Confluence and we have it autoexported there. We point to it from every
single page on the main web site, so my question is why should we move
it? The only thing I see is a change in the URL

>> Back to the web site authoring, let's assume we have access to the
>> file system. We would have to copy all the autoexported HTML somewhere
>> else, fix all the links and images ( the autoexport plugin has some
>> "issues" ) and then put it into the svn repository. Once there, we all
>> know the procedure to get it published. One thing to keep in mind is
>> that we would not have the site's source versioned in svn, rolling
>> back from backup may not be an easy tasks.
>
> If we can get cwiki to check the existing content into svn, we can use
> the following steps:
>
> 1) cwiki: write static html
> 2) cwiki: svn commit changes to
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/site/cwiki
> 2) zone*: svn update https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/site
> 3) zone: rewrite cwiki urls
> 4) zone: svn commit changes to
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/site/trunk/docs
> 5) www: svn update http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/site/trunk/docs
>
> This is basically what goopen does to create the xbean site. Except the
> first 5 steps all happen on the goopen server.
>
> * zone is our apache geronimo zone server

see the "Access to cwiki filesystem" thread on infra.

>> I think that the effort of authoring the web site ( just the web site
>> ) is worth pursuing and I'm more than willing to contribute to find a
>> more elegant solution for developing the web site.
>>
>> It would be great if we can all agree on what content belongs to the
>> wiki and what content belongs to the web site ( dynamic vs. static ).
>
> If we have the system above, there is no need to make this type of
> distinction anymore, and we will be able to use powerful tools like
> snippit on our main site (see
> http://geronimo.apache.org/xbean/editing-custom-xml.html)

Note sure I follow, we would still have the main site and the cwiki. My
point was for us to determine what content is static enough to go
directly into the web site and what content is not along with the
ability to promptly edit any content.

Is there any other space, other than KB and obviously SITE, that we
would like to serve directly from the main site?

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
It took us a humongous effort and time to get Confluence to run within
the ASF so we can now have the "cwiki".

Confluence is great and we continue to find more cool features, but the
main goal of the cwiki is to be a "wiki" itself, we use it to document
the project.

First it was just the documentation, then we added more stuffs like the
FAQ ( aka GMOxKB ), now we plan to develop the project's web site
directly in Confluence. So far so  good, Confluence is great for
collaboration and we can add templates and make the autoexported HTML
look even cooler.

I grant that authoring the Web site in Confluence, get it exported to
HTML and served from geronimo.apache.com might be better to what we have
today but I definitively do not agree in moving everything we have
exported as static HTML in Confluence to the main geronimo.apache.org site.

I disagree even more in trying to use an external to the ASF Confluence
installation to generate static HTML and then put it back into the main
site. (Going outside the ASF every time we can't get the things the way
we want should be a separate thread)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:30:01AM -0400, Hernan Cunico wrote:
> At this point I am kinda confused, so forgive me if we discussed this
> already.
> Did we ever discussed in getting the autoexported spaces into a local SVN
> repo on brutus so we then could do an svn up from minotaur (as we do today)?

I don't recall anyone suggesting a SVN repository on brutus be set up.
As I understand it, the plan is to eventually commit generated HTML to
the main Subversion repository. Committing anything to this repo
requires some traceability, hence the talk about CLA groups on
infrastructure@.

I set up the mirror of autoexported HTML at the URL below simply so that
people without brutus access can get involved in setting up the last
"commit to svn" step. It seems Ted (Cc'ed) is most up to date on that
process.

--Jeff

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:30:01AM -0400, Hernan Cunico wrote:
> At this point I am kinda confused, so forgive me if we discussed this
> already.
> Did we ever discussed in getting the autoexported spaces into a local SVN
> repo on brutus so we then could do an svn up from minotaur (as we do today)?

I don't recall it being discussed. I've just raised it on
infrastructure@.

--Jeff

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
After a bunch of hacking and blind stylesheeting, I've gotten the
composition macro to be usable on exported content... tabs at least,
did not try cloaked sections.

I need to clean this up.... but look for new goodies on the next rev
of the POC site :-)

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I was going to, but then I got distracted by other things... and
still unsure I like to hr+ lag that it will take to update a site...
but I will get over that.

--jason

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Aug 25, 2006, at 9:24 AM, Jeff Turner wrote:

> I installed the Composition plugin. See test at
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/test/Index.
> Unfortunately tabs
> ('cards') don't work on the autoexported HTML at
> http://cwiki.apache.org/test/. The CSS and JS URLs are correct so
> I'm not
> sure why - needs some investigation.

That is super cool and exactly what I needed the other day.  I was
writing some docs for xbean-spring and wanted to show a few different
styles of configuration for the same example.  Stacking the examples
would have been a much better layout.  Instead I ended up with a very
long page.

> Discussions are proceeding on infrastructure@ as to how to get
> generated
> HTML into SVN and thus to the live site. It's painful doing
> trailblazing
> but the end goal seems worthwhile. I imagine many other projects
> will be
> interested in this kind of system.

Thanks for all the help Jeff.

-dain

Re: Geronimo site POC using Confluence & Autoexport

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
So, I think all that is needed is a little cleansing of the exported
HTML to get around some issues with the AE plugin.  And then an rsync
and svn magic to resolve whats removed, whats added and changed & ci
then svn up people:/www/*.  Assuming that we still want this in SVN.
Else, the rsync could just update /www/* directly.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I think we'd have to wget the site and the massage it.

--jason

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
I think that as a method for generating (not running) the web site HTML,
confluence is a viable option. I would like to share some considerations
to keep in mind that I had to deal with when setting up the new cwiki
and that are equally important for running the web site.

[...]

These are just a few considerations, not necessarily issues, we have
cwiki runnning don't we!?  :)

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
And, we can also use an extra space like GMXxSITE2 for really radical
changes if needed.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Jul 27, 2006, at 7:35 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
> Maintenance: I doubt we will be using any custom Confluence plugins,
> the infrastructure team doesn't allow that.

We are already using AutoExport... which is custom, and will have to
either patch it or fork it to fix the remaining issues.

Might also want to look more into a direct SVN plugin, to at the very
least commit wiki content to SVN.  That could then be used as the
basis for future work to sync the SVN content back to a space.

Anyways, I don't think we will have a ton of customizations, but I'm
sure that we will need a few.  I was unaware of any restrictions from
infra@ regarding plugins for this puppy.

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 7/27/06, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
> On 7/28/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> > Is there any desire to continue moving in this direction?
> >
> > I personally believe that by having the site in Confluence that it
> > will be much easier for us to keep the content up to date, as well as
> > easily be able to add new content.
> >
> > IMO this is the direction that the Geronimo site should head.
> >
> > The question is... shall I continue to set this up (and collaborate
> > with others) or would that be a wasted effort?
>
> No, definitely not. What I could gather from reading the thread got me
> thinking about its wide range of possibilities a few in our team seem
> to be able to fully leverage and judge how useful they would
> eventually be. I think we need something to keep our web site updated
> where *everybody* contributes and if Confluence helps us moving in
> this direction even a little, I'm happy to give it a shot.
>
> We can always revert changes and go back to what we've got now, cann't
> we? So, unless you're busy with other tasks, I'd ask you to go on.
> Will you? ;-)

This same process is used for both the ActiveMQ and ServiceMix
websites. The websites are completely stored and edited in Confluence
and the same AutoExport plugin is used to automatically export an
edited page to static HTML. The only differences are that we have an
edit link at the very bottom of every page for ease of editing (based
on privs) and some mod_rewrite rules in place for some page names
(IIRC).

Notes to the concerns raised:

Security: Confluence provides it's own users and groups based
security. It's certainly not hardened, but it's good enough.

Performance: The site is not served from Confluence, it's only stored,
edited and exported from there. The site itself is actually static
HTML.

Flexibility: IMO, it's more than flexible enough, especially given
that the Geronimo website shouldn't require anything very
sophisticated. Sure, we could play 'what if' games all week long, but
in the end, it's a static HTML website. Take a look through the
ActiveMQ and ServiceMix websites for further examples.

Maintenance: I doubt we will be using any custom Confluence plugins,
the infrastructure team doesn't allow that. A wiki standard? There is
no such thing and I doubt there ever will be. Migration to any other
wiki requires work just as much migration as does converting Maven's
XDoc format requires for converstion to, say, DocBook.

Versioning: We have never had to roll back the website to this day, so
I'm not too worried about it. But Jason has already proposed a plan
for rsync'ing to Subversion and publishing from Subversion which
sounds like a good plan to me.

Let's not make a moutain out of a mole hill. If the site can be
exported from Confluence and keep the same layout and design, then I
see no issues. Sure, it's different, we'll need to learn a new
process, but someone is willing ot take on the task - that's the
important part. The vast majority of committers have not even touched
the website to date, so to me this is really a non-issue. I say full
steam ahead.

+1

Bruce
);'

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Jul 27, 2006, at 6:17 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> No, definitely not. What I could gather from reading the thread got me
> thinking about its wide range of possibilities a few in our team seem
> to be able to fully leverage and judge how useful they would
> eventually be. I think we need something to keep our web site updated
> where *everybody* contributes and if Confluence helps us moving in
> this direction even a little, I'm happy to give it a shot.
>
> We can always revert changes and go back to what we've got now, cann't
> we? So, unless you're busy with other tasks, I'd ask you to go on.
> Will you? ;-)

Okay, I am glad to see there is some support for this.  I do believe
it is the right direction.

I will continue to work on it when I am not working on m2migration.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 7/28/06, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> Is there any desire to continue moving in this direction?
>
> I personally believe that by having the site in Confluence that it
> will be much easier for us to keep the content up to date, as well as
> easily be able to add new content.
>
> IMO this is the direction that the Geronimo site should head.
>
> The question is... shall I continue to set this up (and collaborate
> with others) or would that be a wasted effort?

No, definitely not. What I could gather from reading the thread got me
thinking about its wide range of possibilities a few in our team seem
to be able to fully leverage and judge how useful they would
eventually be. I think we need something to keep our web site updated
where *everybody* contributes and if Confluence helps us moving in
this direction even a little, I'm happy to give it a shot.

We can always revert changes and go back to what we've got now, cann't
we? So, unless you're busy with other tasks, I'd ask you to go on.
Will you? ;-)

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.net.pl

Re: Geronimo site POC using Confluence & Autoexport

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
IMHO, I like it a lot.  I would like you to continue.

Jeff

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
> security -- how will edit access be restricted?  as you know right now
> only a committer with an ASF account can change the website (which IMO
> is a good thing).   how will that ACL translate to the wiki site and
> how will it be maintained?

We can restrict edit to geronimo-users, which should only contain
commiters... or if needed make a geronimo-commiters group.  Or if we
really want we can create a new plugin to delegate the list of users
and authenticate of them to the main database used by Apache, but
that would take some time to design, implement and convince infra@ to
allow.

So, short-term we limit the entire GMOxSITE space to edit only by
members of geronimo-users (or geronimo-commiters).

> performance -- the site seems pretty snappy to me but I have heard
> some rumblings about confluence performance.  can it handle being
> slashdotted?

Well, the site would not be served from Confluence directly.  The
AutoExport plugin generates static HTML which is served by Apache
HTTPD... which is hopefully slashdot proof/resistant.

This is static:

     http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSITE/

This is Confluence:

     http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxSITE/Index

IIRC there is a minor issue where AutoExport renders images and
attachment links back to Confluence which needs to be resolved along
with the other minor issues.... but that is... well... minor ;-)

Also, not sure exactly how http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSITE/ would
get sync'd up to http://geronimo.apache.org.  Could use a virtual
host and change the CNAME... or probably easier to setup an rsync
that would automatically update SVN to fit into the normal way that
sites work now.

> flexibility -- is the wiki flexible enough to handle any html/css that
> we can throw at it?  for example, the current design was donated by
> Epiq a while back and IIUC integrating it into existing website
> template system was pretty straightforward.  does confluence present
> any limitations that would make this type of activity more difficult?

AutoExport (as well as Confluence itself) use Velocity to render...
which is what the current site uses (via Ankia).  Take a peek at the
GMOxSITE.vsl velocity template I attached in the initial email which
shows how any HTML can be used for the main skin.

So... its basically the same.  With the exception that AutoExport is
using Velocity configured from inside of Confluence and has full
access to the Confluence context variables as well as the plugin
framework which allows other context variables to be added.

One of the main advantages of using Confluence is not not have to
worry about HTML to make great looking pages.  So in most cases we
don't want actually content pages to use HTML, though in some cases
we need to, and it is easy to make a user macro for that.  In fact I
had to do this for the "News Archive" link...

> maintenance -- how much Confluence expertise will it require to
> maintain the site, especially if we start using custom plugins, etc?

Custom plugins will add a certain level of additional knowledge...
enough to well... know how to write custom plugins ;-)

But I don't see that we will be doing very much of that... at least
not right now.  The only custom plugin work that needs to be done is
to get some fixes into the AutoExport plugin (unless they are already
fixed).

> how hard would it be to migrate the site contents to a different Wiki
> system or to revert back to a "standard" website if that became
> necessary?

Well... that all depends on what "standard" means.  If standard means
raw html, then... well no effort, since the site exports to HTML...
only a small change to the template to remove the Confluence page
actions, then regenerate the site and done.

If standard means back to Ankia, then a bit of work to whip up a
template to generate the proper xdocs xml files, then run that once
to generate new files from Confluence and then a tad bit of tidying
up to get it all working from Ankia again.  Not trivial... but not
too difficult either.

As for different wiki... well... I'd rather not go there.  But if we
did need to then it would be very similar to the above, with a custom
velocity template, this one would not render the pages, but just
include the raw wiki.  Then some sort of wiki syntax converter would
be needed to translate to the target wiki's language.

> Again I really like the work you've done and think it shows a lot
> of promise.

Thanks,

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Jason,  nice work!  Using a wiki for the website will make it easier
to make changes to the website. This also allows the website to take
advantage of the many bells and whistles in Confluence.

A few questions:

[...]

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
I totally missed this email when it came out.  This stuff rocks!

-David