Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Nelson Minar <ne...@monkey.org> on 2004/01/21 02:56:41 UTC

Axis and Basic Profile 1.0a

I've read WS-I Basic Profile 1.0a and got the religion. I'm all ready
to build nice, clean services without SOAP encoding and with all the
Ts crossed and Is dotted. And I want to use Axis.

How far can I follow the BP1.0a guidelines with Axis 1.1? Is Axis 1.2
alpha worth trying? I don't care about formal certification but I am
interested in following the spirit of the recommendations in BP1.0a.

Forgive me if this is all explained somewhere, pointers welcome.

Re: Axis and Basic Profile 1.0a

Posted by Nelson Minar <ne...@monkey.org>.
>> How far can I follow the BP1.0a guidelines with Axis 1.1?
>You will need at least 1.2 Alpha if not the latest CVS.

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure if I'm ready to be on the
bleeding edge of Axis, but I understand your need for bug reports and
users.

Does Axis 1.1 support use=literal? Mitch Gitman's Javaworld article of
Oct 2003 says Axis 1.1 doesn't support document/literal - how about
rpc/literal?
  http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-10-2003/jw-1003-wsstyles.html

I used to know a lot about SOAP but lost touch over the last year.
WS-I Basic Profile 1.0a is a bit bewildering. I get the impression
that there's a strong statement of the way things should work, but
none of the web services software actually seems to work that way.

>First step on your side would be to come up with a clean WSDL/XSD
>which passes the WS-I testing tools.

Gotcha. In the long run, will it also be possible to build services by
starting with Java code and generating WSDL from it with Axis?

Re: Axis and Basic Profile 1.0a

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Nelson,

You will need at least 1.2 Alpha if not the latest CVS. First step on your side would be to come
up with a clean WSDL/XSD which passes the WS-I testing tools. Then you would need to use the
WSDL2Java to generate appropriate server and client code, then you need to test the SOAP request
and responses with WS-I testing tools. FYI, in the latest CVS, we have added a samples/ws-i
directory that has a skeleton of the WS-I sample application. If you are willing to help us clean
up BP support, please subscribe to the dev mailing list and start sending bug reports/patches.

Thanks,
dims

=====