Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> on 2012/12/13 13:49:07 UTC

Felix Site

Hi all,

Earlier this year, Apache Infrastructure announced to switch off rsync support for Web Site management. On January, 1st, 2013, this will no actually happen.

We are a bit late in the game, so I started as follows:

  * I created FELIX-3816 to track the migration
  * I created INFRA-5648 to ask for staging creation

I will now export the existing Confluence content into SVN and start converting the pages. This will be an iterative process being mostly automatic. Since not everything can easily be converted, we will still have to cross check the pages and do some fine-tuning.

What does this change mean at the end ?

(1) We will get immediate site updates: Whenever we change one or more pages and publish, the change will almost immediately be seen on the web. There is no multi-hour delay and incertainty any longer
(2) As a markup language "markdown" has been chosen. See [1] for links to the respective documentation.
(3) We have more freedom in how we "build" our site. The initial look of the new site will be the same as the current site. But we may change this easily later on.

When switching I think we should start with a double site: The new site available directly through the URL at http://felix.apache.org and the old site still available at http://felix.apache.org/site. This has nice advantage, that links from the web still work and we can crosscheck the new pages against the old ones easily. Over time we will remove the old pages but add (static) redirects to still support the old URLs but redirected to the new pages.

I think the first steps (export, conversion) will be a task for the lonesome cowboy. Afterwards, any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Felix

[1] https://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-3816

Re: Felix Site

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

CMS has been configured for our site now. The current (new state) is available from http://felix.staging.apache.org.

I have added some information on how to manage the site now at http://felix.staging.apache.org/documentation.html.

Over time we should now go over the new pages fix them as needed and then remove the old pages and add a static redirect from the old URL to the new one (I will add some notes to the documentation.html page on the latter point).

Regards
Felix

Re: Felix Site

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi Benedikt,

Re: Felix Site

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Felix,

Re: Felix Site

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi Marcel,

Re: Felix Site

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hey Felix,

On Dec 13, 2012, at 13:49 , Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Earlier this year, Apache Infrastructure announced to switch off rsync support for Web Site management. On January, 1st, 2013, this will no actually happen.
>
> We are a bit late in the game, so I started as follows:
>
>  * I created FELIX-3816 to track the migration
>  * I created INFRA-5648 to ask for staging creation
>
> I will now export the existing Confluence content into SVN and start converting the pages. This will be an iterative process being mostly automatic. Since not everything can easily be converted, we will still have to cross check the pages and do some fine-tuning.
>
> What does this change mean at the end ?
>
> (1) We will get immediate site updates: Whenever we change one or more pages and publish, the change will almost immediately be seen on the web. There is no multi-hour delay and incertainty any longer

Yes, this is a great advantage. Also, we can "stage" changes, and view them on a special staging site before we publish them. All in all this is one of the biggest advantages I've seen so far using the new approach.

> (2) As a markup language "markdown" has been chosen. See [1] for links to the respective documentation.
> (3) We have more freedom in how we "build" our site. The initial look of the new site will be the same as the current site. But we may change this easily later on.
>
> When switching I think we should start with a double site: The new site available directly through the URL at http://felix.apache.org and the old site still available at http://felix.apache.org/site. This has nice advantage, that links from the web still work and we can crosscheck the new pages against the old ones easily. Over time we will remove the old pages but add (static) redirects to still support the old URLs but redirected to the new pages.

So you propose that we make the new and old sites 100% identical as a first step, and then replace the old site with a bunch of redirects, and then start discussing potential changes and improvements to our site (layout and content wise)?

Greetings, Marcel