Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Dave <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2009/07/05 03:22:03 UTC

how to get GPS data from requests from gps-enabled devices

Hello,

For our jsf application, is there a way to get GPS data from requests from gps-enabled devices?

Thanks,
Dave

RE: how to get GPS data from requests from gps-enabled devices

Posted by Mike Quentel <mq...@4dm-inc.com>.
Many devices that have or use a GPS chip will expose some kind of API for
accessing LBS data.  For example, RIM expose an API to access LBS data from
the BlackBerry.

Also, to access geographic data from geo-tagged images, see information on
extracting Exif data ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exif ).  There are Open
Source Exif readers and APIs available.

Mike Quentel

Currently, it is not possible since HTML 4.0 doesn't provide a mechanism
to access GPS related data.

Thanks
Mamallan

PS: Proposed HTML 5.0 spec provides Geolocation API to access GPS
related data from GPS enabled devices.

Posted by Mamallan Uthaman <ma...@oracle.com>.
Hi Dave,