Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Mordechai <mr...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/03 10:04:03 UTC

Howto: set "duration" or schedule by command line ?

Hi there,

I wasn't able to find this in the docs though I might have missed it. Is
there a way to specify via command line the duration for the test? I've had
trouble getting the scheduler to work accurately from the GUI in regards to
duration.

./jmeter -n -t someTestScript.jmx -? what flag to specify duration?

I thought I might be able to set this in the properties file and then pass
the properties file via command line?

Feedback appreciated.
Mordechai

Re: Howto: set "duration" or schedule by command line ?

Posted by santiagoloso <sa...@gmail.com>.
Worked fine, thanks a lot.:-D

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 08/04/2009, doki_pen <do...@doki-pen.org> wrote:
> sebb wrote:
>
> > On 08/04/2009, doki_pen <do...@doki-pen.org> wrote:
> >

> > > If the start and end time are in the past, then they are ignored and
> only
> > > duration is respected.
> > >

> > Not quite, the rule is as follows:
> >
> > Duration (seconds)
> > IIf the scheduler checkbox is selected, one can choose a relative end
> > time. JMeter will use this to calculate the End Time, and ignore the
> > End Time value.
> >
> > Startup delay (seconds)
> > If the scheduler checkbox is selected, one can choose a relative
> > startup delay. JMeter will use this to calculate the Start Time, and
> > ignore the Start Time value.
> >
> > Please see the manual where this is described:
> >

> http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/component_reference.html#Thread_Group
> >

>  According to the manual, you are right.  But in practice, I am right.  The
> two are not mutually exclusive, and the manual does not fully describe how
> the scheduler works.  Admittedly, undocumented features can change at
> anytime.  I use this "bug" to do what the OP was asking about.  Set both
> start and end to some time in the past, and set the duration to how long I'd
> like the test to run.  Works like a charm.

Of course.

Setting the duration overrides the end time, and there's no need to
provide the startup delay if the start time has already passed.

Posted by doki_pen <do...@doki-pen.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by doki_pen <do...@doki-pen.org>.

Posted by santiagoloso <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Kapinos <St...@tandberg.com>.
That I am not sure of because I never have used this scheduler
functionality.  I make my tests run a fixed # of iterations, or based on
other criteria determined during the test itself.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 03/12/2008, Mordechai <mr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Steve,
>
>  Thanks for the quick reply, I had tried setting it through the GUI, and
>  found that Jmeter hung, perhaps I was settting something wrong.
>
>  If I want test X to run for 4 hours, is it necessary to check the [x] loop
>  forever ?

No, but you must ensure that the number of loops is sufficient to last
at least 14400 seconds.

>  or by passing the jduration = 14400 is it implied that the test will
>  continue to run (loop) until 14400 seconds of execution has occurred?

JMeter will stop the thread group when it reaches either the number of
loops or the duration (or end-time).

You can use a simple test plan with a Java Request sampler to
experiment with this without needing to access a server.

Posted by Mordechai <mr...@gmail.com>.
Steve,