Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <br...@users.sf.net> on 2013/08/05 22:28:24 UTC

[allura:tickets] Re: #5775 Allura Code Viewer: provide "copied from" link in history view

Overall in the Allura SCM code we are moving away storing lots of metadata and doing computation ourselves.  Rather, it'll be simpler, more robust, and often times faster to rely on the scm tool (e.g. git itself) to do the work for us.

The log view controller has already been moved to this approach.  It calls `_iter_commits_with_refs` which calls into gitpython to get the data.  See if you can get the rename data from git there.  I know if I run `git log --stat` I get output that includes lines like `readme2.txt => readme3.txt | 1 +`  You may want to look at related options to "stat" to get the easiest-to-parse format.  I know I've seen times where long file paths are truncated in that stat rename output.

Renames of directories aren't too important I don't think.  Directories consist of files, so if we show file renames that should be sufficient.

---

** [tickets:#5775] Allura Code Viewer: provide "copied from" link in history view**

**Status:** in-progress
**Labels:** 42cc
**Created:** Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:12 PM UTC by DRC
**Last Updated:** Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:16 AM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

This is one of several tickets I am creating to log what I feel are shortcomings in the new (Allura) code viewer relative to the old (ViewVC) code viewer. In all of these cases, simply providing a way for users to continue using ViewVC would be an acceptable workaround.

In ViewVC, if a file or directory had been renamed, then the history view of said file/directory provided a link at the bottom that allowed one to easily browse the old history of the file/directory before it has been renamed.  Example (see bottom of page):

http://libjpeg-turbo.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libjpeg-turbo/trunk/turbojpeg.c?view=log

This is a critical feature for being able to visualize the history of a repository.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because allura-dev@incubator.apache.org is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/