Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/21 19:18:20 UTC

Jasper, JMX and JSR77

JSR77 defines a certain model - in particular a WebModule must
include an attribute "servlets[]" that lists all the servlets
in the webapp, and it also requires on JMX mbean per servlet.
( tomcat uses that to provide all kind of performance and
statistical info ).

The problem is - JSPs are not visible, since Jasper creates them
internally. One solution is to turn JspServletWrapper into
an interface, with a GenericServletWrapper impl ( the current code )
and a mechanism to create container-specific wrappers.
A TomcatServletWrapper can hook JSP servlets into JMX and
it may also provide future tomcat-specific optimizations ( like
bypassing JspServlet - by registering the ServletWrapper directly
into the mapper ).

Questions:
- do we want to do that ( there is some extra complexity and some
work ) ? Does anyone care about JSR77 support in tomcat ?

- where should TomcatServletWrapper live - jasper can have an optional
dependency on catalina, or catalina can have an optional dependency on
jasper.

- should we extend JMX support to other jasper components - to report
things like compilation times, tag pool usage, tag usage, etc ?

- anyone willing to help, or I'm alone  :-) ?

Costin

Re: Jasper, JMX and JSR77

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
I have looked at JSR 77, but not in depth.

I am all for instrumenting Tomcat using JMX where it makes sense.

And will help when/if I have time.

Glenn

Re: Jasper, JMX and JSR77

Posted by Hans Bergsten <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> JSR77 defines a certain model - in particular a WebModule must
> include an attribute "servlets[]" that lists all the servlets
> in the webapp, and it also requires on JMX mbean per servlet.
> ( tomcat uses that to provide all kind of performance and
> statistical info ).
>
> The problem is - JSPs are not visible, since Jasper creates them
> internally. One solution is to turn JspServletWrapper into
> an interface, with a GenericServletWrapper impl ( the current code )
> and a mechanism to create container-specific wrappers.
> A TomcatServletWrapper can hook JSP servlets into JMX and
> it may also provide future tomcat-specific optimizations ( like
> bypassing JspServlet - by registering the ServletWrapper directly
> into the mapper ).
>
> Questions:

Just some answers from the floor:

> - do we want to do that ( there is some extra complexity and some
> work ) ? Does anyone care about JSR77 support in tomcat ?

I think JMX and JSR77 is interesting, even though I admit I haven't
read up on it yet, so yes. But I suggest that major changes like
this are restricted to TC 5, and that we keep TC 4.1 possible to use
without any JMX dependencies (which is possible with TC 4.1.18).

I've just released a slimmed down and modularized version of TC 4.1.18
plus a module management web app, distributed under the name
LiteWebServer. One of the main points with this distribution is that
it's _small_, so I strip off all JARs (and even individual classes) that
are not needed for the base functionality (some of it can be added
through add-on modules to enable specific features). I've managed to
exclude all JMX and MBeans stuff so far, and I hope I can continue to
do so as long as it's based on the TC 4.1 tree.

> - where should TomcatServletWrapper live - jasper can have an optional
> dependency on catalina, or catalina can have an optional dependency on
> jasper.

It would make most sense to me to make Catalina have an optional
dependency on Jasper for this; it's only when you use Jasper with
Catalina that you get the JMX support, but Jasper can be used without
it in other containers.

> - should we extend JMX support to other jasper components - to report
> things like compilation times, tag pool usage, tag usage, etc ?

Sounds cool :-) As long as it doesn't add too much overhead.

> - anyone willing to help, or I'm alone  :-) ?

I'm +0 for TC 5. Eventually, I hope to find time to help out with TC 5,
but for now I need to focus on TC 4.1.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten                                <ha...@gefionsoftware.com>