Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan Payne <dp...@sotx.org> on 2002/12/16 23:32:05 UTC

javac Memory Leak: STATUS request

According to the Tomcat 4.1.12 release notes there is a javac memory leak.
I've searched the bug watch database at sun and have searched the web as
well but am having trouble finding the latest info on this. Has it been
fixed? If so, what version of the JDK? I'm using 1.4.0_01 and my productin
server is crashing every 4 days with out of memory exceptions.

Does anyone know where I can track this at/get more info at?

Thanks a million. Ya'll have been great.

-Dan

RE: javac Memory Leak: STATUS request

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
It looks like you don't have issues with upgrades since you are now using
the latest tomcat version which isn't even an official release.  So, you
probably won't have any issues upgrading the JDK.  As I understand it, as
of 1.4.1, the javac memory leaking issues are fixed as well as some major
performance issues that were introduced in 1.4.0.  I suggest upgrading to
the latest 1.4.1_01.  You will be glad you did.

Jake

RE: [OT] RE: javac Memory Leak: STATUS request

Posted by Dan Payne <dp...@sotx.org>.
Yeah, from the command line I can see that Jikes doesn't support
the -encoding option, although it used to. TC is passing it the -encoding
option and there doesn't appear to be a way to turn this off, save a custom
compilation. I explicitly set the javaEncoding, as shown below, just to see
what effect that had (none). Any suggestions?

Posted by Torsten Fohrer <TF...@t-online.de>.
call jikes manually on the command line and see which options he support.

why do you set the encoding manually to utf-8?

> Torsten, do you know what this means?

> An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null
>
> Generated servlet error:
>     [javac] Compiling 1 source file
>     [javac] use: jikes [options] [@files] file.java...
>     [javac] For more help, try -help or -version.
>     [javac] Error: The option "-encoding" is unsupported in this build.
> <snip>
>
> I've unzipped the file jikes-1.18-windows.zip to C:\jikes-1.18
>
> I've created the environment variables:
> BOOTCLASSPATH=C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\jre\lib\rt.jar
> JIKESPATH=C:\jikes-1.18
> CATALINA_OPTS="-Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true"
>
> I've added C:\jikes-1.18\bin to my PATH variable.
>
> I've edited conf/web.xml, adding the init-param "compiler" = "jikes" as
> shown below:
>     <servlet>
>         <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
>         <servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>compiler</param-name>
>             <param-value>jikes</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>javaEncoding</param-name>
>             <param-value>UTF8</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>         <init-param>
>             <param-name>logVerbosityLevel</param-name>
>             <param-value>WARNING</param-value>
>         </init-param>
>         <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
>     </servlet>
>

> Am I missing anything? I came across something about having to install
> IBM's ICU4J. Is this correct?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Dan

localhost/_/jikes_jsp.java:43:
';' expected
 x = 0
      ^

Posted by Torsten Fohrer <TF...@t-online.de>.
a simply way.

don't set CATALINA_OPTS="-Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true"

restart tomcat and request a jsp page with a syntax error  like following

BEGIN -----------------------
<% x = 10 %>
END    ------------------------

jikes produce this error:

An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file

    [javac] Found 1 syntax error in
"/home/tfohrer/develop/Tomcat/4.1.17/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/dist/work/Standalone/localhost/_/jikes_jsp.java":

    [javac]     43.  x = 0
    [javac]          ^---^
    [javac] *** Syntax: ";" inserted to complete ExpressionStatement

javac produce this error:
Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file

/home/tfohrer/develop/Tomcat/4.1.17/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/dist/work/Standalone/localhost/_/jikes_jsp.java:43:
';' expected
 x = 0
      ^

Posted by Torsten Fohrer <TF...@t-online.de>.
one question?

your tomcat does run more than a day, so i assume that he is a production
system.

memory leak in javac is only affected, if you compile a jsp page.
so?
how many times, you change your jsp pages?
if you don't change them, and memory usage increase.
it is possible a memory leak in your application.

here a simply howto to use jikes.

1. Install jikes
2. Changing conf/web.xml to following:
  <!-- If you wish to use Jikes to compile JSP pages:                     -->
  <!--   Set the init parameter "compiler" to "jikes".  Define             -->
  <!--   the property "-Dbuild.compiler.emacs=true" when starting Tomcat    --
  <!--   by adding the above to your CATALINA_OPTS environment variable.    --
  <!--   If you get an error reporting that jikes can't use UTF8 encoding, -->
  <!--   try setting the init parameter "javaEncoding" to "ISO-8859-1".    -->

Posted by Jeremy Joslin <je...@spotlife.com>.