Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Scruggs, Matt" <ma...@bronto.com> on 2017/04/11 20:19:37 UTC

Deleting a field in schema.xml, reindex needed?

I’m updating our schema.xml file with 1 change: deleting a field.

Do I need to re-index all of my documents in Solr, or can I simply reload my collection config by calling:

http://mysolrhost:8000/solr/admin/collections?action=RELOAD&name=mycollection

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Deleting a field in schema.xml, reindex needed?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
“Throws an error” is not very informative. _What_ error?

In general reindexing should not be required. This is often a result of trying to _use_ the field for something. Take a careful look at the error, that may give a clue.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 4/11/2017 2:19 PM, Scruggs, Matt wrote:
> I\u2019m updating our schema.xml file with 1 change: deleting a field.
>
> Do I need to re-index all of my documents in Solr, or can I simply reload my collection config by calling:
>
> http://mysolrhost:8000/solr/admin/collections?action=RELOAD&name=mycollection

Deleting a field won't require a reindex, but any data in that field
will remain in your index until you do.  This probably can affect the
performance of the index, but unless you're running with insufficient
resources, you may not even notice.

Thanks,
Shawn