Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/06/30 03:45:11 UTC

SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available!

*** THIS IS A PRE-RELEASE ONLY, NOT THE FINAL 3.1.0 RELEASE ***

SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 is released!  SpamAssassin 3.1.0 is a major update and
includes a number of new email and anti-spam technologies.

SpamAssassin is a mail filter which uses advanced statistical and
heuristic tests to identify spam (also known as unsolicited bulk email).

This is prerelease 2, and NOT the full release.

Highlights of the release
-------------------------

- Apache preforking algorithm adopted; number of spamd child processes is now
  scaled, according to demand.  This provides better VM behaviour when not
  under peak load.

- added PostgreSQL, MySQL 4.1+, and local SDBM file Bayes storage modules. SQL
  storage is now recommended for Bayes, instead of DB_File. NDBM_File support
  has been dropped due to a major bug in that module.

- detect legitimate SMTP AUTH submission, to avoid false positives on
  Dynablock-style rules.

- new plugins: DomainKeys (off by default), MIMEHeader: a new plugin to perform
  tests against header in internal MIME structure, ReplaceTags: plugin by Felix
  Bauer to support fuzzy text matching, WhiteListSubject: plugin added to
  support user whitelists by Subject header.

- Razor: disable Razor2 support by default per our policy, since the
  service is not free for non-personal use.  It's trivial to reenable.

- DCC: disable DCC for similar reasons, due to new license terms.

- Net::DNS bug: high load caused answer packets to be mixed up and delivered as
  answers to the wrong request, causing false positives.  worked around.

- DNSBL lookups and other DNS operations are now more efficient, by using a
  custom single-socket event-based model instead of Net::DNS.

Downloading
-----------

Pick it up from:

  http://people.apache.org/~jm/devel/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-pre2.tar.gz
  http://people.apache.org/~jm/devel/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-pre2.tar.bz2
  http://people.apache.org/~jm/devel/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-pre2.zip

md5sum:

  d90ea805d073385059db7deadf1acde9  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-pre2.tar.bz2
  5ecb7b43863c7e093e26eba06fc749b6  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-pre2.tar.gz
  9a8b82b6fafae4c538a70bf6e5ccb25c  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-pre2.zip

sha1sum:

  12d908eba8f7e22608e4f1c4e14379b8d133b208  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-pre2.tar.bz2
  1e3e1e357443247c83712eea8a29e3f507ae15ec  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-pre2.tar.gz
  ade4ee3c4183204d78b715437b295e37fd1ce3e8  Mail-SpamAssassin-3.1.0-pre2.zip

The release files also have a .asc accompanying them.  The file serves
as an external GPG signature for the given release file.  The signing
key is available via the wwwkeys.pgp.net key server, as well as
http://spamassassin.apache.org/released/GPG-SIGNING-KEY

The key information is:

pub  1024D/265FA05B 2003-06-09 SpamAssassin Signing Key <re...@spamassassin.org>
     Key fingerprint =3D 26C9 00A4 6DD4 0CD5 AD24  F6D7 DEE0 1987 265F A05B

Important installation notes
----------------------------

- see the INSTALL and UPGRADE files in the distribution.

Summary of major changes since 3.0.x
------------------------------------

- Apache preforking algorithm adopted; number of spamd child processes is now
  scaled, according to demand.  This provides better VM behaviour when not
  under peak load.

- added PostgreSQL, MySQL 4.1+, and local SDBM file Bayes storage modules. SQL
  storage is now recommended for Bayes, instead of DB_File. NDBM_File support
  has been dropped due to a major bug in that module.

- detect legitimate SMTP AUTH submission, to avoid false positives on
  Dynablock-style rules.

- new Advance Fee Fraud (419 scam) rules.

- removed use of the Storable module, due to several reported hangs on SMP
  Linux machines.

- new plugins: DomainKeys (off by default), MIMEHeader: a new plugin to perform
  tests against header in internal MIME structure, ReplaceTags: plugin by Felix
  Bauer to support fuzzy text matching, WhiteListSubject: plugin added to
  support user whitelists by Subject header.

- TextCat language guesser moved to a plugin.  This means "ok_languages"
  is no longer part of the core engine.

- AccessDB, Pyzor: moved to their own plugins to trim down the core engine.

- Razor: disable Razor2 support by default per our policy, since the
  service is not free for non-personal use.  It's trivial to reenable.

- DCC: disable DCC for similar reasons, due to new license terms.

- Net::DNS bug: high load caused answer packets to be mixed up and delivered as
  answers to the wrong request, causing false positives.  worked around.

- DNSBL lookups and other DNS operations are now more efficient, by using a
  custom single-socket event-based model instead of Net::DNS.

- add support for accreditation services, including Habeas v2.

- better URI parsing -- many evasion tricks now caught.

- mass-check now supports reusing realtime DNSBL hit results, and sample-based
  Bayes autolearning emulation, to reduce complexity.

- sa-learn, spamassassin and mass-check now have progress bars.

- modify header ordering for DomainKeys compatibility, by placing markup
  headers at the top of the message instead at the bottom of the list.

- spamd/spamc now support remote Bayes training, and reporting spam.

- spamc now supports reading its flags from a configuration file using the -F
  switch, contributed by John Madden.

- added SPF-based whitelisting.

- Polish rules contributed by Radoslaw Stachowiak.

- many rule changes and additions.

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes from DB_File)

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> The page starts with "There are now multiple backend storage modules...."
> What is "now"? With what version did this become available?

I think the first interchangable backends were at 3.0, but that there are
more of them now.

        Loren

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes from DB_File)

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:31 AM -0500 Michael Parker
> <pa...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Sure, here is a basic procedure:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BayesMigration
>
> Great, that looks very helpful.
>
> The page starts with "There are now multiple backend storage modules...."
> What is "now"? With what version did this become available?
>
> Can the back end be specified on the sa-learn command line? With that, one
> can specify the old back end for the backup and the new back end for the
> restore without worrying about what the system setting is.

Having just completed a migration to MySql, I can tell you that the if you
follow the procedure outlined in the migration doc, you will see that the
settings in local.cf indicate the db mechanism.

Basicaly, you export your current bayes to a file, change the backend
settings in local.cf, restart SA and then import the file to the new
backend.

At least I think that is what you were looking for...

Ed
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Randomly generated quote:
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh
-Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes from DB_File)

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Wednesday, June 29, 2005 6:45 PM -0700 Justin Mason
> <jm...@jmason.org> wrote:
>
>> - added PostgreSQL, MySQL 4.1+, and local SDBM file Bayes storage
>> modules. SQL   storage is now recommended for Bayes, instead of DB_File.
>> NDBM_File support   has been dropped due to a major bug in that module.
>

> Is a migration document included to show how to move Bayes to one of
> the other back ends? Or perhaps a wiki page?

Sure, here is a basic procedure:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BayesMigration

Michael

Re: [sa-list] Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:48 AM -0400 "Dan Mahoney, System Admin"
<da...@prime.gushi.org> wrote:

> Personally, in trying to migrate thousands of per-user bayes into SQL, I
> found that it a) took forever and b) consumed so much memory that I just
> found it an easier approach to say "screw it" and retrain.

I don't mind starting with a blank slate. I'm just wondering where I look
to see how to set up the DB. I've got MySQL installed and working, so I
just need the info to create the tables and set up the authentication.

(No need to cc replies to me.)

Re: [sa-list] Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <da...@prime.gushi.org>.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Kenneth Porter wrote:

Personally, in trying to migrate thousands of per-user bayes into SQL, I
found that it a) took forever and b) consumed so much memory that I just
found it an easier approach to say "screw it" and retrain.

YMMV, of course.  I believe SA does include a rudimentary and
heavily-disclaimered bayed migration script in the SQL folder (or
something similar).

-Dan

--

"You're a nomad billygoat!"

-Juston, July 18th, 2002

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available! (migrating Bayes from DB_File)

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Dallas Engelken wrote on Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:30:39 -0500:

> maybe confused with an sql auto-whitelist?

No, by my memory. I thought I had read here several times in the past that
the BayesSQL doesn't have expiry. Thanks for the clarification!

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: SpamAssassin 3.1.0-pre2 PRERELEASE available!

Posted by Dallas Engelken <da...@nmgi.com>.

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

so far no problems!

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
slight inconsistency/error in UPGRADE file.

Note for Users Upgrading to SpamAssassin 3.1.0
ok

Note for Users Upgrading from SpamAssassin 3.0.x
that is actually either:
Note for Users Upgrading to SpamAssassin 3.0.x
OR
Note for Users Upgrading from SpamAssassin 2.6.x

Since all the older headlines use the "from syntax" I suggest: