Posted to users@camel.apache.org by medali_k <mk...@icloud.com> on 2016/09/17 16:59:45 UTC

Camel in Action Book

I am trying to learn Camel from the book 'Camel in Action'. The current
edition of the book uses Camel 2.5 while Camel is now at version 2.17. I
need help with these questions:
1/ Is there a big difference between the 2 versions?
2/ If I complete the book, what kind of other resources/subjects should I
look at in order to update myself to the newer versions of Camel?
Note that I don't have time to wait for the new edition of the book,
apparently scheduled to be released in March 2017.
Many thanks for helping!!

Re: Camel in Action Book

Posted by Brad Johnson <br...@mediadriver.com>.
There are significant differences between 2.5 and 2.17.  The principles are
the same and EIPs are as well so the important concepts will be there for
you.  But details will vary some.

Re: Camel in Action Book

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Oh, I should add that my favourite addition to Camel since then is the REST
DSL which allows you to write a REST API directly as a Camel route instead
of relying on CXF proxy classes. It allows you to use one of several
different libraries as your backend, too. See here for more info:
https://camel.apache.org/rest-dsl.html

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Camel in Action Book

Posted by medali_k <mk...@icloud.com>.
Thanks guys for the information!
I’ve just had a quick look on the REST DSL page. Even though I am a novice, I can guess that this would be a great feature for the project we’re trying to initiate as we’re trying mostly to integrate RESTful web services.

Re: Camel in Action Book

Posted by Brad Johnson <br...@mediadriver.com>.

Re: Camel in Action Book

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Camel in Action Book

Posted by Brad Johnson <br...@mediadriver.com>.
Matt,

Re: Camel in Action Book

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Camel in Action Book

Posted by Brad Johnson <br...@mediadriver.com>.
Hear, hear!  My one hope for the new book is that the emphasis is on using
POJOs for most message processing in lieu of using Processors.  I've found
that once my clients understand how Camel can select a method for
invocation on a bean for a route and how easy that makes unit testing for
constituent pieces a lightbulb goes on and they feel like Plain Ol' Java
Programmers once again.  An almost audible sigh of relief goes up.  And not
using the Processors means I also see less of the tendency to use Camel as
something to read a file or endpoint in and then write a humongous
application with I/O inside a processor and let Camel do the heavy lifting
using the EIPs and components.

I'd save the intricate details of Processors for a more advanced topic in
the later chapters.

Brad

Re: Camel in Action Book

Re: Camel in Action Book

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

As others have said in this thread, then the source code for the Camel
in Action 1st edition has been updated to latest Camel releases up
till 2.15.6.

https://github.com/camelinaction/camelinaction

As we are working on the 2nd edition we decided to stop maintaining
the 1st ed source code after 5.5 years since the book was published.

Camel 2.x is the same basic principles, and what you learn in 1st
edition is good practice today.
So surely go ahead and read the 1st ed book.

If you buy the 2nd ed book from Manning you get the 1st ed for free (ebook).

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 6:59 PM, medali_k <mk...@icloud.com> wrote:
> I am trying to learn Camel from the book 'Camel in Action'. The current
> edition of the book uses Camel 2.5 while Camel is now at version 2.17. I
> need help with these questions:
> 1/ Is there a big difference between the 2 versions?
> 2/ If I complete the book, what kind of other resources/subjects should I
> look at in order to update myself to the newer versions of Camel?
> Note that I don't have time to wait for the new edition of the book,
> apparently scheduled to be released in March 2017.
> Many thanks for helping!!

Claus Ibsen
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus