Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Henrik Nordberg <he...@jitterbit.com> on 2006/01/31 20:17:27 UTC

What teams are working on Axis cpp?

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but what teams are developing
Axis cpp?
It seems that there is one team from opensource.lk and one team from IBM.
Are there others?

It seems the opensource.lk team is focused on AXISC2.

What are the backgrounds of the teams, i.e., why are you guys doing this?
(Which we are all, of course, glad for!)

I guess one reason I am asking is that we have now invested in Axis cpp, and
want to know what lies in the future in terms of bug fixes. We have a large
project (http://sf.net/projects/jitterbit) that uses Axis cpp and we want to
make sure there are people around to look at the bugs we report, and if not,
we'd like to help out.

Thanks
 - Henrik

Re: What teams are working on Axis cpp?

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Henrik Nordberg wrote:

> Paul Fremantle wrote:
>
>> Henrik
>>
>> Nice looking screenshots!
>>
>> The IBM team (which I used to be the architect for :-) ) ship the
>> AxisC++ 1.x project as the MQC2 support pack
>> (http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24009162). I can no
>> longer comment on what IBM's future plans for this are, since I no
>> longer work there :-)
>

> Who is the lead guy on the current IBM team? Just curious. :)
>
>> WSO2 are strongly backing the Axis2/C project. A couple of our guys
>> were heavily involved in the creation of AxisC++, but we took the
>> decision that to create a highly flexible asynchronous Web Service
>> engine that supports WS-Addressing, WS-ReliableMessaging, WS-TX, etc,
>> we needed to rebuild on the Axis2 design.
>>
>> The result is the Axis2/C project, which is just getting to the stage
>> where we have clients and servers talking using WS-Addressing.
>>
>> So summary:
>>
>> AxisC++ 1.x is fairly stable project with a team from IBM supporting
>> it to IBM customers.
>> Axis2/C is a very cool new project with WSO2 firmly behind it aiming
>> to have a 1.0 in the summer.
>>
>> Paul
>

> I am sure Axis2/C is cool and we will most likely switch to using that
> when it is ready for prime time.
> In the meantime, it would be nice if the bugs we (Emanuel and I) have
> reported were fixed. Some of them are quite serious, and we provide
> suggestions for fixes in the bug reports.
>
> Would it be possible for me to become a commitor on AxisC++ 1.x, so I
> can fix those (and possibly other) bugs?

Henrik,
    In order to become a commiter, you have to be voted in by the
current commiters.
    One of the commiters could vote you in, based on the patches you
provide to the current code base. May be you have already provided
patches to pending issues. (will have to browse through Jira to locate
them I guess). Moving forward, please send the patches (fixes in diff
format) to the mailing list, and based on the quality of your patches,
you could be voted in as a commiter.
Thanks,
Samisa...

Posted by Henrik Nordberg <he...@jitterbit.com>.
Hi John,

Yes, I would like to become a committer. I have tried to make it a point, when submitting bugs, to explain how the bug could be resolved. And I have submitted a few patches.

Thanks
 - Henrik
Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hi Henrik,

IBM also ship the client-code as part of the WESB product
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/integration/wsesb/.

I am the front-man for this effort within IBM - however, I could only wish
it was that simple ;-)

Have you considered becoming a committer to the project. You have
consistently applied your efforts to it in your use of the code and have
come up with some valuable insights. I'd be happy to nominate you. This
would greatly ease your companies maintenance efforts and particularly
response times (I would have thought)?

regards,
John.

"Henrik Nordberg" <he...@jitterbit.com>