Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl> on 2006/04/26 16:26:37 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Need a mod-rewrite rule for a website's home page

David Blomstrom wrote:
> I have a content management system that uses mod-rewrite rules for various
> sections. For example, the page mysite/About/index.php uses the following
> mod-rewrite rule:
>
> RewriteRule ^About/([a-zA-Z0-9_/-]+)/?$ About/index.php?bout=$1 [L]
>
> It displays URL's like mysite/About/Webmaster and mysite/About/Search.
>
> I've finally figured out how to apply a mod-rewrite rule to my site's home
> page...
>
> RewriteRule ^/?([-a-zA-Z0-9_/]+)/?$ /index.php?home=$1 [L]
>
> It displays URL's like mysite/Arizona and mysite/Africa.
>
> The problem is that it apparently interferes with my other mod-rewrite
> rules. I can't display mysite/About/Webmaster unless I delete the home
> page rewrite rule. Does anyone know how to make the following rewrite
> rules compatible, or can you suggest alternative rewrite rules that will
> work together?
>
> RewriteRule ^/?([-a-zA-Z0-9_/]+)/?$ /index.php?home=$1 [L]
> RewriteRule ^About/([a-zA-Z0-9_/-]+)/?$ About/index.php?bout=$1 [L]

Is this rewrite in the main config or rewrite in a .htaccess? Because
you've mixed both cases in these two lines. In the main config, complete
paths are checked against the first argument of rewriterule, in .htaccess,
first the path is stripped (including the /), and then the rewrite rule is
matched against the reminder.

Joost