Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2010/02/16 20:25:57 UTC

Releasing 0.11, Request for Comments

Hey,

I have been asked to release CouchDB 0.11.

In accordance with our documented release procedure, I am making a formal request for comments. The most important part of this process is that each developer checks the README, NEWS, and CHANGES files, updating them as necessary.

If you have any other comments, or objections, please also raise them now.

Re: Releasing 0.11, Request for Comments

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Awesome,

Coolness. My updates are in.

Paul

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Awesome,

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 20 Feb 2010, at 10:38, Noah Slater wrote:

> Can the other committers please acknowledge that they have checked these files for changesets they are responsible for?

Ack.

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
On Feb 27, 2010, at 12:50 PM, Filipe David Manana wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM, J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 26, 2010, at 7:00 AM, Filipe David Manana wrote:
>>
>>> I would still like to see ticket 639 in 0.11.
>>>

>> I'm reading 639 and it seems like a great patch. But it's a little bit big
>> and I can't tell for certain that there isn't something subtle I'm not
>> seeing. I think the best course of action would be to apply it just after
>> the 0.11 release, so it gets some field testing before it goes out in a
>> release.
>>
>> It's not a new feature so it is still a candidate for 0.11.1 / 1.0. I'd
>> just feel better about introducing a large patch to the code base if it has
>> time to get used in a few different settings before being baked into a
>> release.
>>

> True, it's a little bit big.
> In that case I don't mind having it in a 0.11.1 release.
>
> cheers

Sorry, I didn't get around to reviewing 639 till today, but it's in trunk now.  Cheers,

Adam

Re: Releasing 0.11, Request for Comments

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by till <kl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
597 is a bug fix, so, yes, don't hold 0.11 up for it. I think it's a
slam dunk for 1.0, though.

B.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 25, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 25 Feb 2010, at 04:43, Robert Newson wrote:
>
>> I second this emotion. :)
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> See my last comment on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-597
>>>
>>> I would <3 <3 <3 to see this make it.
>

> There's a ton of patches I'd like to see in CouchDB, but we'll never release anything
> if don't make a cut somewhere. 0.11 has been in the making for 9 months now and
> really needs to get out there so we can find and fix all the bugs that users find so
> 1.0 becomes a grand release.
>
> If you are concerned that "yourfavouritepatch" doesn't make it into 1.0: After 0.11
> is released we'll only fix bugs in that branch and eventually cut 1.0 from it. If you
> think a new feature should be in 1.0 that is not in 0.11, call for a vote for that
> patch. Be prepared that it should be simple enough and should have tests and
> not break anything. If "yourfavouritepatch" is a bugfix, there's no need for a vote
> for a commit.

Agreed.

I'd further say that I consider the replicator to be the one place I'm happy to see enhancements introduced between 0.11 and 1.0. The replicator is decoupled from the rest of CouchDB, so changes here aren't likely to introduce instabilities.

I'd also be fine to see enhancements to Futon made between 0.11 and 1.0. Again, nothing here is likely to negatively impact active CouchDB users, or otherwise cause instabilities.

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
I second this emotion. :)

Posted by Matt Goodall <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 25 February 2010 11:35, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:

> And I just this morning noticed a request from Matt Goodall about 0.11 Futon storage.

The Futon Storage issue, COUCHDB-668, is fixed in master/trunk.

The one I'm really concerned about now is COUCHDB-671 [1], "Futon
changes data when starting to edit", and, to a lesser degree,
COUCHDB-667 [2], "Futon implicit typing when adding/editing fields is
flawed", although the two issues are quite closely related.

- Matt

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-671
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-667

Re: Releasing 0.11, Request for Comments

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@gmail.com>.
If not asking too much,
I would also like to see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-639in 0.11.

It's a follow up to the attachment compression feature and also fixes the
problem with push replication when docs have large attachments (ticket 163
related also).

cheers

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@couch.io>.
On Feb 22, 2010, at 7:31 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2010, at 03:38, J Chris Anderson wrote:
>
>> I've checked and added json2.js to the NEWS and CHANGES in trunk and 0.11
>>
>> Also it's nice to think about breaking changes as well when you are thinking of this. I've got a bunch of stuff written up and headed wikiward for 0.11, but for future reference, we should think of the breaking changes page as being in the same boat as news and changes.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I have added this as a new checkpoint for the release procedure.

I'm ready for 0.11 to happen. It's been long enough for comments, etc.

I know we've been finding and fixing bugs, but hopefully we've done the majority of that. The point of the feature freeze is to let us focus on finding and fixing bugs for 1.0, so we shouldn't let the possibility of a few stragglers hold us back.

So let's do this thing!

Chris

Re: Releasing 0.11, Request for Comments

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On 22 Feb 2010, at 03:38, J Chris Anderson wrote:

> I've checked and added json2.js to the NEWS and CHANGES in trunk and 0.11
>
> Also it's nice to think about breaking changes as well when you are thinking of this. I've got a bunch of stuff written up and headed wikiward for 0.11, but for future reference, we should think of the breaking changes page as being in the same boat as news and changes.

Agreed.

I have added this as a new checkpoint for the release procedure.

Thanks Chris.

Re: Releasing 0.11, Request for Comments

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com>.
Hey Noah,

On 20 Feb 2010, at 18:38, Noah Slater wrote:

> Can the other committers please acknowledge that they have checked these files for changesets they are responsible for?

I've checked and have nothing to add.

Cheers,
--
Jason Davies

www.jasondavies.com

Re: Releasing 0.11, Request for Comments

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Saturday, February 20, 2010, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Can the other committers please acknowledge that they have checked these files for changesets they are responsible for?
>
> Fixing these files is a significant source of friction for me when preparing the release, as any error spotted means a complete rebuild and test of the whole package.
>
> Thanks,

ok for myself. benoit

Re: Releasing 0.11, Request for Comments

Posted by Mark Hammond <sk...@gmail.com>.
On 21/02/2010 5:38 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
> Can the other committers please acknowledge that they have checked
> these files for changesets they are responsible for?

I've nothing to add.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Releasing 0.11, Request for Comments

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@couch.io>.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@gmail.com>.
hi guys,

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have been asked to release CouchDB 0.11.
>
> In accordance with our documented release procedure, I am making a formal request for comments. The most important part of this process is that each developer checks the README, NEWS, and CHANGES files, updating them as necessary.
>
> If you have any other comments, or objections, please also raise them now.

Commited my changes too and updated the site to add me to the
committers. How is the site updated ? Anything to do or is it
automatic ?

- benoît