Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Mathias Decrock <ma...@tvh.com> on 2016/06/20 12:16:19 UTC

Increased memory usage from 6.23 to 7.3

Hey all,

We're seeing a large increase in memory consumption from Wicket 6.23 to
7.3, it seems that most of the increase comes from classes extending
ListView that contain a large amount of items (more than 200 items in each
ListView).

The application could run with Xmx800m without any performance issues on
Wicket 7, and now on Wicket 8 the heap fills up and the application becomes
unresponsive even after increasing the heap size to Xmx2g.

Could this be related to this change to the base class MarkupContainer
"WICKET-5983: mostly linear performance in MarkupContainer.add" (commit
26cecdc6fabb8c4dadf457a2e4b22ef8c6eb1ea3)?

In a later commit (7be920d4403d719e26d2a131454928c086a7317c) there is a
comment added:
/**
* The threshold where we start using a Map to store children in, replacing
a List. Adding
* components to a list is O(n), and to a map O(1). The magic number is 24,
due to a Map using
* more memory to store its elements and below 24 children there's no
discernible difference
* between adding to a Map or a List.
*
* We have focused on adding elements to a list, instead of indexed lookups
because adding is an
* action that is performed very often, and lookups often are done by
component IDs, not index.
*/

This seems to indicate that this could increase memory usage, but could the
effect be this noticeable?

Thanks,
Mathias

--

**** DISCLAIMER ****

http://www.tvh.com/glob/en/email-disclaimer

"This message is delivered to all addressees subject to the conditions
set forth in the attached disclaimer, which is an integral part of this
message."

Re: Increased memory usage from 6.23 to 7.3

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Mathias Decrock <ma...@tvh.com>
wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> We're seeing a large increase in memory consumption from Wicket 6.23 to
> 7.3, it seems that most of the increase comes from classes extending
> ListView that contain a large amount of items (more than 200 items in each
> ListView).
>
> The application could run with Xmx800m without any performance issues on
> Wicket 7, and now on Wicket 8 the heap fills up and the application becomes

Here you mean "from 6 to 7".

> unresponsive even after increasing the heap size to Xmx2g.
>
> Could this be related to this change to the base class MarkupContainer
> "WICKET-5983: mostly linear performance in MarkupContainer.add" (commit
> 26cecdc6fabb8c4dadf457a2e4b22ef8c6eb1ea3)?
>
> In a later commit (7be920d4403d719e26d2a131454928c086a7317c) there is a
> comment added:
> /**
> * The threshold where we start using a Map to store children in, replacing
> a List. Adding
> * components to a list is O(n), and to a map O(1). The magic number is 24,
> due to a Map using
> * more memory to store its elements and below 24 children there's no
> discernible difference
> * between adding to a Map or a List.
> *
> * We have focused on adding elements to a list, instead of indexed lookups
> because adding is an
> * action that is performed very often, and lookups often are done by
> component IDs, not index.
> */

Yes, this is also the first thing I thought about.
Can you create a quickstart that shows the problem ? This way it will be
easier for us to investigate where is the problem.
Thanks!

Posted by Thomas Matthijs <li...@selckin.be>.
Hello,

I doubt that would have that kind of difference.

Have you checked with a profiler where the memory is going?

mvg,