Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joseph William <st...@yahoo.com> on 2003/09/30 00:47:54 UTC

Connection Pooling...

Hello...

I am developing a small application using Struts and am trying to connect with MYSQL... I got it connected and even retrieved values by specifying the datasource in the struts-config file...

Now, I am trying to put a common class for connection Pooling... I need to get the values like the max, min connections that I had specified in the config file so that I don't hard code values in my connection pooling utility...

How do I access those values??? Is these any method I need to use coz this connection pool class is a separate utility and does not extend Action...

Please let me know...

Thanks.
-Joseph

Re: Connection Pooling...

Posted by Joseph William <st...@yahoo.com>.
Hi...

This is what I have done in my application... I had specified the datasource in the struts config file...

<data-sources>
     <data-source>
       <set-property property="autoCommit" value="false"/>
       <set-property property="description" value="MySQL"/>
       <set-property property="driverClass" value="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"/>
       <set-property property="maxCount" value="50"/>
       <set-property property="minCount" value="2"/>
       <set-property property="password" value="william"/>
       <set-property property="url" value="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mysql"/>
       <set-property property="user" value="root"/>
     </data-source>
   </data-sources>

In between, I use this 'dataSource = servlet.findDataSource(null);' to get the datasource by running a singleton... In order for my beans to use connection, I try to write a common class that handles a pool of connections...

This is my connection pool class constructor,

 private ConnectionPool() {
      // Create properties setting object
      this.waitIfBusy = true;
      this.initialConnections = 2;
      this.maxConnections = 50;
      if (initialConnections > maxConnections) {
         initialConnections = maxConnections;
      }
      availableConnections = new Vector(initialConnections);
      busyConnections = new Vector();

      for(int i=0; i<initialConnections; i++) {
         //try {
           availableConnections.addElement(makeNewConnection());
         //} catch (SQLException e) {
        //}
      }
   }

Now, if you look at it I have hard coded the max and min connection -- Is there any way whereby I can bring the mas and min values specified in struts-config file straight in here to this constructor... I am trying to make this into an utility...

Thanks in advance...

-Joseph

Navneet Karnani <na...@myrealbox.com> wrote:
I think the connection manager that struts ships with has primitive
connection pooling built into it. Just read the docs.

- Navneet

Re: Connection Pooling...

Posted by Navneet Karnani <na...@myrealbox.com>.

Re: Connection Pooling...

Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.net>.
Tomcat provides a connection pool for you via a JNDI datasource, so you
need to rely on the struts datasource.

You can find out a little more over here :
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html