Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ben Fox Moore <th...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/13 17:56:57 UTC

Tomcat Client Deployer: "Cannot resolve the name 'javaee:descriptionGroup' to a(n) 'group' component."

I'm trying to use the Tomcat Client Deployer to dynamically update my web
app when the java source files are modified, but so far I can't even get the
TCD to compile it.

I've created the required 'deployer.properties' file with the following
contents:

webapp=/home/user/Desktop/TestProject/
> path=/TestPortal
> url=http://localhost:8080/manager/html

but when I run ant in the TCD folder, I get the following error message:

compile:
> [...]
> org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.startElement(Unknown Source)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown
> Source)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl$NSContentDispatcher.scanRootElementHook(Unknown
> Source)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown
> Source)
> [validator]     at
> Source)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
> [validator]     at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown
> Source)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1642)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.catalina.ant.ValidatorTask.execute(ValidatorTask.java:99)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:288)
> [validator]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
> [validator]     at
> [validator]     at
> [validator]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:106)
> [validator]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
> [validator]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:357)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:385)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1337)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1306)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
> [validator]     at
> org.eclipse.ant.internal.launching.remote.EclipseDefaultExecutor.executeTargets(EclipseDefaultExecutor.java:32)
> [validator]     at
> org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1189)
> [validator]     at
> org.eclipse.ant.internal.launching.remote.InternalAntRunner.run(InternalAntRunner.java:423)
> [validator]     at
> org.eclipse.ant.internal.launching.remote.InternalAntRunner.main(InternalAntRunner.java:137)

followed by hundreds of other errors about not being able to resolve various
javaee names to components.

I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do now as there doesn't seem to be much
documentation for the Client Deployer on the web, and when I searched for
similar errors, nobody seems to have come across them or found solutions.

My best guess was that it's missing some required libraries, but I can't
seem to find out to set the Classpath, so I tried copying over the few
libraries I'm using to the *${basedir}/lib *which is where the build.xml
seems to be looking for them:

      <classpath>
>         <fileset dir="${webapp.path}/WEB-INF/lib">
>           <include name="*.jar"/>
>         </fileset>
>         <fileset dir="${basedir}/lib">
>           <include name="*.jar"/>