Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2007/11/05 17:06:55 UTC

Can't run Derby 10.3 on CDC platform

I am able to run Derby 10.2 on the phoneME implementation of the CDC
platform. That is, using Derby 10.2 on that platform, I am able to
successfully create a database and query the system tables. So far so good.

However, when I run the same experiment with Derby 10.3, the database
fails to boot because it can't find an appropriate DataValueFactory.
This is true whether I use the Derby 10.3 jars, current jars built from
the mainline, or the classtree built from the mainline. I would
appreciate clues about what changed in 10.3 which would cause this behavior.

Thanks,
-Rick

For the record, I'm including the script I use to boot a Derby database
on the phoneME platform:

#! /bin/bash
#
# Run an ij script in the phoneME vm
#
# $1 is the script to run

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$CDC_HOME/lib

cd ~/demo/tearoffToPhone/data

$CDC_HOME/bin/cvm -Xbootclasspath/a:$JSR169_HOME/lib/jsr169.jar \
  -cp $DERBYJARS/derby.jar:$DERBYJARS/derbytools.jar \
  -Dij.dataSource=org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedSimpleDataSource \
  -Dij.dataSource.databaseName=sample  \
  -Dij.dataSource.createDatabase=create \
  org.apache.derby.tools.ij $1

Re: Can't run Derby 10.3 on CDC platform

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>>> Derby 10.3 only supports CDC/Foundation 1.1, whereas 10.2 supports
>>> CDC/Foundation 1.0. Could you be seeing the effect of that?
>>>
>>> Dan.
>> Thanks Dan and Knut. The download site claims that the CDC vm and
>> libraries are at rev level 1.1.2. Looking inside the CDC jars, I can
>> see BigDecimal, which I thought was one of the changes introduced by
>> 1.1.
>
> Do you have the Foundation profile, it's just that your e-mails only
> mention CDC?
>
> Can you run sysinfo and see what version Derby thinks the JVM
> environment is? Look for the first line after Derby Information:
>
> --------- Derby Information --------
> JRE - JDBC: J2SE 5.0 - JDBC 3.0
>
> Dan.
Thanks, Dan. I think that clears it up:

Re: Can't run Derby 10.3 on CDC platform

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> I am able to run Derby 10.2 on the phoneME implementation of the CDC
>> platform. That is, using Derby 10.2 on that platform, I am able to
>> successfully create a database and query the system tables. So far so
>> good.
>>
>> However, when I run the same experiment with Derby 10.3, the database
>> fails to boot because it can't find an appropriate DataValueFactory.
>> This is true whether I use the Derby 10.3 jars, current jars built
>> from the mainline, or the classtree built from the mainline. I would
>> appreciate clues about what changed in 10.3 which would cause this
>> behavior.
>
> Derby 10.3 only supports CDC/Foundation 1.1, whereas 10.2 supports
> CDC/Foundation 1.0. Could you be seeing the effect of that?
>
> Dan.
Thanks Dan and Knut. The download site claims that the CDC vm and
libraries are at rev level 1.1.2. Looking inside the CDC jars, I can see
BigDecimal, which I thought was one of the changes introduced by 1.1.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: Can't run Derby 10.3 on CDC platform

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.
Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> writes:

> I am able to run Derby 10.2 on the phoneME implementation of the CDC
> platform. That is, using Derby 10.2 on that platform, I am able to
> successfully create a database and query the system tables. So far so
> good.
>
> However, when I run the same experiment with Derby 10.3, the database
> fails to boot because it can't find an appropriate
> DataValueFactory. This is true whether I use the Derby 10.3 jars,
> current jars built from the mainline, or the classtree built from the
> mainline. I would appreciate clues about what changed in 10.3 which
> would cause this behavior.

Hi Rick,

In Derby 10.3, we dropped Foundation 1.0 support and moved to Foundation
1.1, as far as I remember. Your device doesn't by any chance have a too
old JVM?

--
Knut Anders