Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sharan Foga <sh...@apache.org> on 2021/02/08 19:39:50 UTC

Quick Update About FOSDEM 2021

Hi All

I wanted to post a brief update about FOSDEM 2021 that happened over the weekend. Usually the first weekend in February is when thousands of Open Source enthusiasts converge in Brussels to meetup and attend FOSDEM. We have had an ASF booth there for a few years and before that an Apache OpenOffice (AOO) had one.

This year due to the pandemic - it was online so AOO had devroom and we also had an ASF booth. Both the booth and the devrooom were open and active over the whole weekend. Talks were given, videos played and of course chatting to anyone interested in knowing more about the foundation, projects or open source in general.

We also ran a few videos and Claude's projects app!

It was also good to see some Apache people and have some interesting discussions with some potential new ideas to try. We had some requests for info about Netbeans and Spamassassin! I did a couple of Kibble demos for Jena and Tomcat (And thanks Mark T for finding at least one and maybe two bugs!).

Kudos to Kenneth, Aditya and Trevor for volunteering to help out with our booth content. And a  very special thank you goes out to Claude Warren (Mad Scientist) for helping 'person' the booth.

The FOSDEM team were brilliant as ever and we are looking forward to next year!

Thanks
Sharan