Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Sanjay Radia <sr...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2009/03/12 19:41:09 UTC

Re: [Fwd: GSOC proposal: Implementing the FileSystem SPI of JSR203 for HDFS]

Johan
    The project is a great  idea.
     I can help mentor this project.
     I am cc'ing Alan Bateman the spec lead for JSR 203.

What timeframe did you have in mind?
Alan B will be doing a presentation of JSR203 at Javaone this June. It
would be great if we could have some sort of
a prototype to validate JSR203 APIs against Hadoop by that time.

sanjay

Posted by Johan Liesén <jo...@gmail.com>.
> Johan
>    The project is a great  idea.
>     I can help mentor this project.
>     I am cc'ing Alan Bateman the spec lead for JSR 203.

Thanks for showing interest. I, too, am very excited about this idea!

> What timeframe did you have in mind?

The general answer is that I need to stick with the dates set by
Google, which are end of may until september. But I do have a time
plan if the project is accepted by Google. In broad strokes, I would
like to approach the problem by first creating a test suite like the
existing one for HDFS, but for the NIO.2 API, and then move towards
getting all tests to run. This would be ideal in my view. A rough
estimate for this would be some two months. But this is just my idea
of how to proceed.

Since the deadline for organizations to apply is tomorrow we'd better
move fast. I have attached a draft of my application. I will provide a
résumé as well but need time to brush it up. Comments on the
application are very welcome.

Here are the dates for this year's GSoC:
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/timeline

> Alan B will be doing a presentation of JSR203 at Javaone this June. It would
> be great if we could have some sort of
> a prototype to validate JSR203 APIs against Hadoop by that time.

We could definitely work together and isolate a set of components that
would be big enough for a JavaOne demo. I might also have some extra
time to spare before the GSOC begins.