Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/22 19:55:53 UTC

user list

A very brief thread on the PPMC private list was started to request a
user list from infrastructure.  Since I think this warrants a
discussion, I'm moving the topic to the open dev list.

I would suggest we hold off on adding a user list.  I'd direct all
user questions to the dev list at this stage.  The Incubator used to
set up dev and user lists for all incubating projects, but then many
people noted that this tended to partition the two groups right at the
time when you could really use some interaction between them.  The dev
list should always be the place that users report bugs or request
features or discuss interop issues.  The user list is just there to
help users understand how to use the product.  At an early stage of
development, most of the user comments and questions are directly
related to the ongoing development of the product.

For this reason, incubating projects these days are generally
encouraged to keep both user and devs together on one list until the
user-oriented traffic grows to a point that it becomes too noisy and
not useful for all developers to be hearing.

Cliff

Re: user list

Posted by Bhupendra Bhardwaj <bh...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I also agree with having a seperate list for users. This is also based on my
experience with other projects I have worked with. The dev and users lists
were different and a seperate users list makes it clean from users point of
view also.

And if there are only few users then also it makes sense to have a seperate
list. If we have that now we can continue with that instead of creating a
list later and asking all subscribed users to subscribe to a different list
later.
And aren't we expecting no of users to grow? we are.

Thanks
Bhupendra

Re: user list

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
All,

Re: user list

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
If we have a substantial user base already then I think there is value in
going for a user list.
I agree and understand the point made by Cliff and Paul about the community
being fragmented.

But I also see agree with roberts comments. I think unlike other incubator
projects we do have some users already.
The user may find it a bit intimidating/confusing when they subscribe to the
dev list.

If users are already using Qpid in production then they may have significant
amount of questions.
I as a dev and the majority of user swould like to see those questions on a

Re: user list

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: user list

Posted by John O'Hara <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yes, let users have a quieter life than ours.

Re: user list

Posted by John O'Hara <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: user list

Re: user list

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
On 22/11/06, Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A very brief thread on the PPMC private list was started to request a
> user list from infrastructure.  Since I think this warrants a
> discussion, I'm moving the topic to the open dev list.
>
> I would suggest we hold off on adding a user list.  I'd direct all
> user questions to the dev list at this stage.  The Incubator used to
> set up dev and user lists for all incubating projects, but then many
> people noted that this tended to partition the two groups right at the
> time when you could really use some interaction between them.  The dev
> list should always be the place that users report bugs or request
> features or discuss interop issues.  The user list is just there to
> help users understand how to use the product.  At an early stage of
> development, most of the user comments and questions are directly
> related to the ongoing development of the product.
>
> For this reason, incubating projects these days are generally
> encouraged to keep both user and devs together on one list until the
> user-oriented traffic grows to a point that it becomes too noisy and
> not useful for all developers to be hearing.
>
> Cliff

It may be encouraged to keep both user and dev lists together but a
number of incubators have user lists. I count 29 podlings with 18 of
them having user lists. Including the recently created podling ivy.

If we put the creation of the user list up for a vote on the developer
list (with the intention that all developers should subscribe to this
user list) can we as a community go with the result even if that is
not what our mentors would recommend?

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: user list