Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2011/07/05 19:05:09 UTC

Project shutdown guide?

Is there a list someplace of the steps to take to shutdown a project?    On
the website, I see entry guides, podling guides, graduation guides, etc....
but not a shutdown/termination guide.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Project shutdown guide?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Daniel Kulp wrote:
> Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> > What is with user accounts of people who are not active in other
> > apache projects and started at the ASF with the retired project? Are
> > the accounts closed too?
> >
> > Any more ideas?
> >
> > I am +1 for creating a page on the incubator site with a shutdown guide,
> > btw.
>
> +1
>
> I did find this page on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RetiringPodlings
>
> but I definitely think an official guide on the web page would be more
> appropriate.

The question came up again recently. I scoured the archives
and found some relevant links to past discussion and
effort on this topic.

Re: process for going Dormant/Retired
http://s.apache.org/oN

It certainly does need collecting into an i.a.o web page.

-David

Re: Project shutdown guide?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:56:49 PM Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> What is with user accounts of people who are not active in other
> apache projects and started at the ASF with the retired project? Are
> the accounts closed too?
>
> Any more ideas?
>
> I am +1 for creating a page on the incubator site with a shutdown guide,
> btw.

+1

I did find this page on the wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RetiringPodlings

but I definitely think an official guide on the web page would be more
appropriate.

Dan

> Cheers,
> Christian
>
> > +
> >
> > * Check copyright checkbox is signed off on.
> > ** If not, then dig in to see if it can be signed off on.
> > *** If so, sign off with current date.
> > *** If not, remove source.
> >
> > Hen
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Is there a list someplace of the steps to take to shutdown a project?
> >>    On the website, I see entry guides, podling guides, graduation
> >> guides, etc.... but not a shutdown/termination guide.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Daniel Kulp
> >> dkulp@apache.org
> >> http://dankulp.com/blog
> >> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org
http://dankulp.com/blog
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Project shutdown guide?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
>> I am +1 for creating a page on the incubator site with a shutdown guide, btw.
>
> Go for it :)

I just added the retirement guide:
http://bit.ly/pv9IZ9

I have NOT included it into the main navigation. I wanted to wait
until it is complete (and my english errors are fixed ;-))

I tried to use the list we discussed, plus
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RetiringPodlings
http://s.apache.org/oN (Clutch)

For me it is fine - comments/corrections welcome (of course)

Cheers
Christian

Re: Project shutdown guide?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Currently I'd describe it as:
>> http://attic.apache.org/process.html
>

> So, is a failed incubation project going into the attic? I don't think
> so. In addition i don't think board needs to approve that, this is
> incubator business.

Agreed. The attic will link over to the Incubator's retired page.

> So my list would be with what Henri said:
>
>> * Check copyright checkbox is signed off on.
>> ** If not, then dig in to see if it can be signed off on.
>> *** If so, sign off with current date.
>> *** If not, remove source.
>
> Plus:
>
> - Update incubator status page with message: "2006-06-24 Project
> requested to be withdrawn from incubation."
> - Move project in projects.xml to "retired" section
> - Update the project DOAP file
> - make SVN readonly
> - make Jira/Bugzilla readonly
> - Turn off automated builds
> - Remove from incubator.apache.org main navigation, but leave it in
> the retired section of projects.xml
> - close mailinglists
> - Announce on general@incubator.apache.org
> - make wiki readonly (if possible)
> - remove from reporting schedule

Seems good.

> What is with user accounts of people who are not active in other
> apache projects and started at the ASF with the retired project? Are
> the accounts closed too?

No need imo. If individuals don't connect for X years and infra want
to tighten things up then they can make accounts dormant in a separate
process. I don't think there's a need to drive out committers who
don't have any permissions to commit to a project.

Re: Project shutdown guide?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.grobmeier.de

Re: Project shutdown guide?