Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com> on 2003/01/14 15:27:02 UTC

Transforming from Jarfiles?!

The XSL user's mailing list just pointed out that the Java URI support
recognizes "jar:"  as a meta-scheme for looking inside jarfiles... and
since Xalan is using their code, that means we should respond correctly to

things like:
    <xsl:include href="jar:file:///foo/bar.jar!/com/sample/baz.xsl"/>
or similar syntax in command line or API URIs.

I've got mixed opinions on whether we should document that capability. On
the one hand, it will _probably_ continue to work, _probably_ work in most

or all Java-based XSLT processors, and could be really useful. On the
other hand, it's specific to Java and is something of an incidental
side-effect; it *might* go away if someone decides to work on optimizing
our I/O capabilities.

Should we publish this tip, with caveats, as a FAQ... or will that cause
more confusion than it cures, in the long run? Opinions?

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research