Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Rick Wright <ri...@google.com> on 2014/03/04 20:39:06 UTC

Work needed for jclouds-labs-google?

Hi all,
We are looking into ways that we can contribute to the Google provider code
and wanted to know what would be the most useful things we could do to
improve it.  Is there functionality that is needed, tests that need to be
written/improved or documentation that needs to be updated?

We are happy to contribute random fixes/improvements, but if there are
specific things that would be more useful it would probably make sense to
focus on those.

Thanks for any input that you have,
Rick Wright
@wrigri on github

Re: Work needed for jclouds-labs-google?

Posted by Rick Wright <ri...@google.com>.
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.  The GCS issue is something that
I've been looking at for libcloud as well (which also uses the S3
compatability API right now).

I looked through the excellent doc that Suriya put together and I'll make
some comments on that and see what I can do to help get that doc included
in the jclouds documentation.

-Rick

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.

Posted by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org>.
Rick, thank you for your interest.  jclouds has a compute provider for
GCE which David Alves started and Andrew Bayer has worked on.  This
provider has seen some use, although still needs some work, and Andrew
Bayer had some criticisms of the authentication code.

jclouds lacks a storage provider for GCS which we track in JIRA:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-458

Presently we recommend the GCS-S3 compatible API which has several
drawbacks:

http://jclouds.apache.org/documentation/userguide/using-s3/

Two students have expressed interest in working on this in the context
of Google Summer of Code, although official contributions from Google
would give us more confidence in the path forward.  For example, Google
deprecated the XML API long ago, but still considers the JSON API
experimental.

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: Work needed for jclouds-labs-google?

Posted by Matt Stephenson <jm...@gmail.com>.
Rick,
You might also fire off an email to users@jclouds.apache.org asking for feedback from people who are actively using the provider.

Thanks for stepping up and taking more ownership of the provider.

Matt

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your interest!

I'm not very familiar with the GCE provider code, and I don't know which
level of maturity it has, so I won't be able to point you to
fixes/improvements/missing features in the provider (hope someone else will
do :D).

What would be really helpful is to have some examples and documentation,
which is currently missing, to help adoption. As we get more users using it
we'll have better feedback, know what needs to be improved, and know when
the provider is production ready (and when we can promote it to the main
repo).

If no one else says the opposite or knows about more important tasks, it
would be really great if you could add some examples to our examples repo
[1] (the Rackspace examples are good ones to have a look at) and create the
GCE user guide here [2]. That's where most people land when they start
exploring jclouds.

You will find our how to contribute code and documentation guides in our
community page [3] as long as our IRC channel.

Thanks again for your interest, and let us know whatever you need,

Ignasi

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-examples
[2] http://jclouds.apache.org/guides/
[3] http://jclouds.apache.org/community/