Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Wermus Fernando <fe...@xlnet.net.ar> on 2004/09/15 19:12:59 UTC

problem with SortField[] in search method (newbie)

Luceners,
My search looks up the whole entities. My entities are accounts,
contacts, tasks, etc. My searching looks up a group of entity's fields.
This works fine despite, I don't have indexed any entity in a document.
But If I sort by some fields from different entities, I get the
following error.

field "shortName" does not appear to be indexed

The account's field I have indexed are

shortName,number,location,fax,phone,symbol

and I order by

shortName
without  any order

shortName,number,location,fax,phone,symbol

it works fine.
----
I don't understand the behavior because If I don't order the searching
and I don't have any document indexed, It works fine, but If I add an
order I get a runtimeException and I can't catch the exception  to solve
the problem. The only solution it's to index the whole fields'
entitities once in a document, but for me it's a patch.

Any idea,  it could help me out.

Thanks in advance.

RE: problem with SortField[] in search method (newbie)

Posted by Aviran <am...@infosciences.com>.
You can only sort on indexed field. (even more than that, it'll work
properly only on Untokenized fields, ie keyword).

Aviran