Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by RandomTroll <ru...@rickstewart.com> on 2007/12/09 23:56:02 UTC

TVD_SPACE_RATIO dependent on subject?

The people at work decided that the most convenient way to scan a document
was to put it in the copier
and hit the 'e-mail' key.  They were annoyed that their scans ended up
marked as spam.  I fixed some of
the complaints but I noticed an odd thing:  if I changed the subject of the
message from 'Attached image'
to 'there's an image attached' spamassassin did not identify it as
TVD_SPACE_RATIO .  Everything else
about the message was the same.  How do I make sense of this?

Re: TVD_SPACE_RATIO dependent on subject?

Posted by RandomTroll <ru...@rickstewart.com>.
Quoth Per Jessen:  'It would perhaps make sense not to scan internal email.
We certainly
don't.'

    We were concerned about scans sent to people outside the organization.

russell bell

Re: TVD_SPACE_RATIO dependent on subject?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
RandomTroll wrote:

> The people at work decided that the most convenient way to scan a
> document was to put it in the copier
> and hit the 'e-mail' key.  They were annoyed that their scans ended up
> marked as spam.

It would perhaps make sense not to scan internal email.  We certainly
don't.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Re: TVD_SPACE_RATIO dependent on subject?

Posted by RandomTroll <ru...@rickstewart.com>.

     Quoth Theo van Dinter:  'The rule looks for a low ratio of spaces
to non-space characters.'
     Curiously, it looks only in the subject, while the complaint is
'BODY: TVD_SPACE_RATIO'.  Had the complaint pointed to the subject
I would have figured it out more quickly.
     Thanks for your help.
russell bell

Re: TVD_SPACE_RATIO dependent on subject?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 02:56:02PM -0800, RandomTroll wrote:
> the complaints but I noticed an odd thing:  if I changed the subject of the
> message from 'Attached image'

The rule looks for a low ratio of spaces to non-space characters.

This subject has a low percentage of spaces to non-spaces ... 1 in 14.

> to 'there's an image attached' spamassassin did not identify it as
> TVD_SPACE_RATIO .  Everything else
> about the message was the same.  How do I make sense of this?

This one is higher, 3 of 25.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"DAKA ... for a good night of fasting."         - Theo