Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/08/14 16:06:27 UTC

Re: Contributing to the Apache Docker Account

Hey Victor,

To clarify.  I'm expecting that a build of artemis results in the creation
(and publishing) of a docker container.  This container represents the
underlying build artifact.  This is known as the "latest" in docker.  When
doing a release, i expect something similar.

The ASF only does automatic docker builds.  Not manual.  Based on input I
got from our infra, its never a separate repo, always in the same repo.
Granted we don't have a ton of examples yet, but that seems to be the go-to
(and realistically represents a true CI/CD pattern for completely running
apps like this).

The actual creation of the container is a separate step in jenkins.  So
once the current dockerfile is donated, pointing to a different location
for the binary, I can carry out the steps w/ infra to setup the docker
builds.  There shouldn't be a reason to point to a remote location for the
binary as a result, it'll all be local to the workspace.  I'll probably
need to setup some kind of job to build releases, but shouldn't be a big
issue.

You can find a few examples out on our ASF hub page -
https://hub.docker.com/u/apache/.  Thrift is the most curious one from my
POV.  It actually builds thrift on the image, and uses an entry point to
allow extension (e.g. execution of thrift).

Also apologies, I missed that this fell off the dev list.

John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
You're correct, it doesn't.  Docker is all about preconfigured images.  You
could use this to generate a dockerfile, based on some base image that we
ship.

John

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Victor <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

> Ok, I think that's based on some outdated information.

You might be thinking of docker itself where it is perfectly possible.
In docker hub, the issue 292
<https://github.com/docker/hub-feedback/issues/292> is still open.

>  There's still some discussions on going on other mailing lists,
> but it looks like right now any concept of a snapshot docker
> container shouldn't be used.  Meaning what you have right now
> will be perfect.

Great news!

As activemq-artemis only has a master branch (or at least that is what I
can see in github and git.apache.org) I'll only be able to PR for the *latest
*tag. It is not ideal but at least it is a start.

I'll have the PR ready soon.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Victor,

Posted by Victor <vi...@gmail.com>.