Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Johannes Geppert <jo...@web.de> on 2009/07/24 12:39:51 UTC

Struts2 jQuery Plugin - Logo

Hello,

today I release the Version 1.0 of the Struts2 jQuery Plugin see
http://code.google.com/p/struts2-jquery/

or Showcase
http://www.weinfreund.de/struts2-jquery-showcase/index.action

Now I'm think about to create a Logo for this Plugin as a combination
of the Struts2 Logo and the jQuery Logo.

Does anyone know is it possible, I mean with the licenses.

Best Regards
Johannes Geppert

---
web: http://www.jgeppert.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/jogep

RE: Struts2 jQuery Plugin - Logo

Posted by Al Sutton <al...@funkyandroid.com>.
I'd make this a candidate for inclusion in the main release, it could certainly go a long way to replacing the current ajax tags.

Al.

--

* Written an Android App? - List it at http://andappstore.com/ *

======
company number  6741909. The registered head office is Kemp House,
152-160 City Road, London,  EC1V 2NX, UK.

subsidiaries.

> today I release the Version 1.0 of the Struts2 jQuery Plugin see
> http://code.google.com/p/struts2-jquery/
>
> or Showcase
> http://www.weinfreund.de/struts2-jquery-showcase/index.action

... damn, that looks excellent.

Phil

> Now I'm think about to create a Logo for this Plugin as a combination
> of the Struts2 Logo and the jQuery Logo.
>
> Does anyone know is it possible, I mean with the licenses.
>
> Best Regards
> Johannes Geppert
>
> ---
> web: http://www.jgeppert.com
> twitter: http://twitter.com/jogep

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
- Randy Pausch

Re: Struts2 jQuery Plugin - Logo

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.
We were so excited about your plugin that we forgot to kindly ask if you
would not mind us integrating it into Struts 2.
Thanks for giving this positive feedback _before_ we asked ;-)

CLA = Contributor License Agreements

See
http://www.apache.org/licenses/

- René

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
The CLA is available here -

http://apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

It is an agreement that you are granting the Apache foundation the use
of your intellectual property as it pertains to source code
contributions. You should read through it and make sure that you are
comfortable with the conditions listed... Personally, I had no
problems with it, and I have written all manner of software (closed
source, open source, ajar source).

After you have filled out the agreement and sent it in, notify us. If
I understand correctly, there is a manual step somewhere in the chain
after you submit that someone here (Martin?) has to perform before
your CLA is filed officially.

-Wes

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Johannes Geppert<jo...@web.de> wrote:

> I have no problem when this code will be integrated into struts2.
>
> But maybe someone with good skills in Struts2 and in JavaScript should take
> a look at the sources. Because this is my first struts2 plugin.
>
> What means "fill out the CLA" ? I don't know what the CLA is.
>

> Musachy Barroso wrote:
>>
>> true. I get very excited about killing dead code (looking at you dojo
>> tags)
>>
>> musachy
>>

> -----
> ---
> web: http://www.jgeppert.com
> twitter: http://twitter.com/jogep

Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!

Re: Struts2 jQuery Plugin - Logo

Posted by Johannes Geppert <jo...@web.de>.

Musachy Barroso wrote:

> true. I get very excited about killing dead code (looking at you dojo
> tags)
>
> musachy

-----
---

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
For a contribution this size, we should probably have Johannes fill
out the CLA. Although, I haven't seen his opinion on the matter. If
Johannes wants to let us absorb it, I volunteer now to start working
on the tests.

-Wes

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Musachy Barroso<mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That looks excellent, great work. I am big +1 for bringing this in.
> About what Wes said, if there is only one author and the license is
> ASL 2, it shouldn't be hard to bring it it (zip it and attach code to
> jira?). For the unit tests I am also big +1 for selenium tests.
>
> musachy
>
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Wes Wannemacher<we...@wantii.com> wrote:
>> I'd rather consider trying to bring this into the main struts distro.
>> I didn't look at the code, but if other devs are interested in this
>> route, we have to consider the following -
>>
>> IP Clearance
>> Our testing policy
>>
>> I think we can handle the IP clearance, as long as we know it's a step
>> we'd have to make. As I've said before on the testing policy, we'd be
>> better served to use selenium rather than JUnit to deal with an AJAX
>> plugin (just my opinion)...
>>
>> Anyone else have any thoughts?
>>
>> -Wes

>>> I'am glad that you like the plugin. I don't have any experience with maven,
>>> so it will be nice if you can help me to add it to google code.
>>>

>>> -----
>>> ---
>>> web: http://www.jgeppert.com
>>> twitter: http://twitter.com/jogep
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Wes Wannemacher
>>
>> Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
>> Need Training? Struts, Spring, Maven, Tomcat...
>> Ask me for a quote!

Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.
Ask me for a quote!

Re: Struts2 jQuery Plugin - Logo

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Musachy Barroso schrieb:
> +1 for combining efforts. Eric, could you submit the topics stuff as a
> patch for Johannes' plugin?
>
> I would like for us to define some strategy for this, and don't let
> drag for months. Do we all agree that bringing this into the sandbox
> is a good idea then?

+1

> musachy
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Obinna<ob...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I agree with Renee, Wes et al that having some kind of 'official' ajax
>> plugin is almost a requirement for a serious UI framework as serious now.
>> I've used ajax feature pretty heavily on the last 4 projects (all using
>> struts) I've worked on. The first two using dojo, and the last two using a
>> homegrown jquery integration which has turned into my plugin that Wes
>> referred to. I am a fairly heavy user of jquery now and would certainly
>> provide support a struts plugin. I am very impressed by Johannes' plugin
>> especially considering how quickly/solidly it's come together. I think as
>> Wes said, we should combine our efforts together now to provide something we
>> can all support together. For example, while Johannes' plugin focuses
>> heavily on interface features/ widgets and effects, mine focuses more on the
>> event handling and integrating events between componenent or custom js code
>> (using a publish/subscribe framework). Looking at the respective code bases
>> I think that these feature sets can be combined fairly easily.
>>
>> To summarize, I'm +! for the plugin and will help implement and support it
>> if/when approved.
>>
>> - Eric
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am also a jquery user, so I can help support this.
>>>
>>> musachy

>>> complex
>>> src/main/resources).
>>> us

>>> this.
>>> will
>>> it
>>> closer
>>> ajax

>>> but
>>> the

>>> --
>>> "Hey you! Would you help me to carry the stone?" Pink Floyd

René Gielen
IT-Neering.net
Saarstrasse 100, 52062 Aachen, Germany
Tel: +49-(0)241-4010770
Fax: +49-(0)241-4010771
Cel: +49-(0)177-3194448
http://twitter.com/rgielen

Re: Struts2 jQuery Plugin - Logo

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
I have only one concern about this. We can't give commit rights to the
sandbox only, so the original authors will not have commit rights. How
has this been done before?

musachy

Posted by Johannes Geppert <jo...@web.de>.

Posted by Obinna <ob...@gmail.com>.
I'll happily submit the topics stuff as a patch but it's not *quite* that
straight-forward as there's a bit of structural code (albeit all in one .js)
file for it as well. I think we do need that strategy/design discussion
before we proceed.

Some initial thoughts:
 - I think it is much better to maintain the struts/jquery integration code
in one (or maybe more) .js files which are included in head, rather than
embedding increasingly complex .js code in the templates. This will be much
easier to maintain in the long run and allows us to support additional
templates without duplicating js code (I quickly realized this when I was
initially supporting javatemplates as well as freemarker).
 - We need to be clear on what bits of jquery we will support (this is
mainly about widgets) - I like the initial suggestion to support only the
'officially' released widgets as tempting as it may be to support some other
cool ones. I think this will help prevent some of the dojo issues. We can
make sure that adding custom widgets isn't to difficult to make up for this
restriction (I've given an initial attempt at this already.)
 - With jquery and the loose coupling provided by topics, I think we can
make the plugin provide powerful yet easy-to-use out-of-the box
functionality while still remaining open and highly extensible for advanced
users. However, I think we should be clear on how we do this - what are the
important extension points, how do users provide custom widgets etc...

- Eric

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Don,

nope, that fault we did once before in webwork and early s2 releases :)
The jQuery plugin should be/get one of the core plugins, not part of the
struts2-core artifact.

Rainer

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Don Brown<do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Rainer Hermanns<he...@aixcept.de> wrote:
>> I'm really happy, that Johannes implemented this plugin and it is now
>> ready to use and I will definitely use it.
>> If we bring it into Struts2 core, I'm also willing to support this plugin
>> and help to maintain and extend the functionality.
>
> Just to clarify, what you really mean is bring the plugin into Struts
> trunk?  I'm guessing you don't mean you want to include the code in
> the struts2-core artifact...
>
> Don

nah, I am sure he meant it as in "struts core" not the actual
artifact, we all know that core is has to remain slim ;)

musachy

Re: Struts2 jQuery Plugin - Logo

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
Go ahead with it, thanks for volunteering.

musachy

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
Ok I added a page to the wiki with what I think we have
discussed/agreed so far, and the things we need to do:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/S2WIKI/JQuery+Ajax+Tags+Plugin+Proposal

So far we all agree that we need a small set of tags that covers the
simple uses cases, and that it is not supposed to expose all the
features of the underlying framework. My answer to: why jquery?
JQuery has proven to be very reliable, small and stable, there is
plenty of documentation, but above all that, there are several of us
using it on our current jobs, which gives it a good chance to be
properly maintained.  Also, we were already working ("we" as in Wes
;)) on a JQuery plugin.

Feel free to fill in the wiki with your ideas and comments.

musachy

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johannes Geppert <jo...@web.de>.
I think also that a modern web framework like struts2 needs AJAX support.
And every second struts2 user use the AJAX functionality of struts2
or code it with hand.

When I take a look in the download history I feel confirmed that many users
want AJAX functionality.

I can also help to support and extend this in the future.

Johannes

-----
---

Posted by Obinna <ob...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Tuesday 28 July 2009 10:45:37 pm Martin Cooper wrote:
> <another_big_snip/>
>
> What a curious statement. The very reason the ASF focuses on the use of
> mailing lists, as opposed to things like IRC, is to make sure to *include*
> people from all geographical locations. Can you elaborate on what makes it
> hard for Eric to participate via e-mail?
>
> --
> Martin Cooper

I've talked to Eric over IM and it's really a matter of bandwidth. In his
location, he doesn't have the high-speed connection that most of us have grown
of fast-paced. If you're sharing a small amount of bandwidth, checking
extranet email is something you do infrequently if at all. If you're not
checking regularly, many threads come to life and hit closure before you have
a chance to contribute.

I didn't mean to imply anything by it, it was just my way of indicating that
even though some may not recognize his name from the lists, he is actively
working on some impressive jquery integration.

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

<big_snip/>

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Sunday 26 July 2009 08:12:05 am Rene Gielen wrote:
> That is what I also regognize from the disussions a while ago.
>
> We all know that the Dojo tags turned out as a nightmare. Dojo looked
> promising back in these days, with all it's supporters and some good
> solutions when there were only few alternative frameworks around.
> Nevertheless, not only the programming model was hard to get and to
> understand, also the API was in constant flux without ever coming to a
> stable state for years. Today we can consider Dojo as the biggest loser
> in the JS framework run.
>
> jQuery nowadays has turned out to be stable both in functionality and
> API stability, compact, fast, mature and easy to understand. It can
> really be considered as _the_ JS/AJAX framework besides Prototype, and
> the adoption is overwhelming. Many Java web delvelopers, including a
> couple a S2 community members I know of, have already incorporated plain
> jQuery into their projects and built up a good knowledge about it. Most
> of our "competitors" incorporate it either directly or via mature
> plugins, have a look at Myfaces, Richfaces, Icefaces or Wicket.
>
> My feeling was that there was a consensus that jQuery would be the way
> to go if we wanted to go provide a good AJAX solution, but we had not
> enough resources to build a plugin from scratch. Now Johannes stepped up
> and presented a complete plugin, and IMO we should see this as a great
> opportunity. If we don't want to fall terribly behind the other web
> frameworks, we need a decent and state of the art AJAX support - pure
> Web 1.0 interfaces are more and more going away, and people tend to
> judge a web framework for consideration in their projects also by it's
> AJAX capabilities - e.g. when Rainer and I did some Struts 2 talks the
> last couple of months for JUG Cologne, that was a very clear feedback we
> got from many people in the audience.
>
> Once the plugin is there, I don't see why it would be any harder to
> maintain than oher external library plugins we have, let's say Spring or
> Sitemesh or what not - especially since I suspect a lot of S2 developers
> and community members are using jQuery on regular basis and will be able
> to help with their experience. Also, we don't have to fear an API
> breaking with every minor release as we had with Dojo, which made
> maintaining it that hard.
>
> - René

I am going to back Rene 100% on this. The big thing to me is the API
stability. I think it should say something that M$ includes JQuery with their
Visual Studio products. Personally, I am using my jquery plugin, and will
quickly port my current project to this new one (meaning it will get bugfixes
along the way if/when I find them) and I know Musachy is familiar with JQuery
from his help when we started the other plugin a while back.

I posted the high-level issues earlier, but I am going to take a little bit to
browse the code today and see if there are any technical issues. Johannes
mentioned a lack of familiarity with maven, but I am pretty sure that won't be
too hard to work around, I've ported a few projects to maven recently and feel
like I am getting pretty handy with it.

Another thing that no one has mentioned yet is that we are going to indirectly
end up supporting JQuery if we continue to allow these "grassroots" efforts
come along without adopting an official support plugin. Right now, there is my
plugin (which I'm using, but I'd guess that's it), but there is the other
plugin that my buddy Eric is working on here -

http://code.google.com/p/struts2-jquery-plugin/

Eric's plugin is becoming somewhat mature as well, but due to his geographical
location it is hard for him to participate in the mailing lists. IMO, more and
more users are going to start using these plugins. I think we are at a point
with all of these efforts that we could try to combine them and get a best-of-
all-worlds type of plugin, then keep it working between releases by building a
new showcase with selenium tests. It'd be a big effort, but probably have a
huge return in that we could start regaining users that we have likely lost to
other faster-moving frameworks (Spring MVC).

To address Martin's issue directly, I think the main reason we wanted to move
away from Ajax with the 2.1 release was the difficulty to support Dojo. I know,
personally, I was all for bringing in things like the JSON result type and
taking a framework-neutral approach to future development, but as Al
mentioned, this is a pie-in-sky goal. I think that if we push through the next
effort as a plugin and showcase app, we are still going to enhancing the
struts2-core to support Ajax, without tying us to JQuery. But, by adopting a
somewhat official plugin, we can provide first-class Ajax support.

-Wes
--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

Posted by Ian Roughley <ia...@fdar.com>.
I haven't looked at the code for the jquery plugin yet, but I can offer
some insight into the problems with the dojo integration.  At the time
of writing, dojo was the most mature framework out there.  The problems
we encountered was with JS programming model that dojo used as well as a
strong integration due to the API, which caused problems when the API
changed.  This led to problems upgrading, and the code going dead.
There were also always problems explaining how the use, and debug, the
tags.  Overall, not a great solution.

I'm glad someone stepped up to add ajax functionality to the framework
(since Philip was all words and no action :-)).  I believe this is
something that we need for greater adoption (something I've spoken to
Ted about in the past).  What I would want to make sure of, is that the
integration is more loosely coupled than the original dojo integration
(once again, not looked at the code).  I think this is important to
avoid the problems of the past.  But I do agree with Rene in that there
is a much better understanding of ajax and ajax frameworks today, which
will also help us, especially using jquery as a base technology.

/Ian

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

Posted by Johannes Geppert <jo...@web.de>.

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Brilliant work! I would love to see this integrated in S2 distribution,
if possible. Did you already setup a maven repo location for it? If not,
let me know if you need help to add a repo space to your google code svn
area.

Day one of the death of the dojo tags :)

- René