Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Jakob Jenkov <ja...@jenkov.com> on 2002/01/13 20:50:12 UTC

Logging Into Slide from Client?

Hi There!!

Enthusiastically I read about Slide, downloaded, installed and got it
running. Not a big deal when you've played a little around with Tomcat
before. Then I connected and started looking around. And now I'm wondering,
how do I use Slide at all? Yes, I know that I have to use the prompt client,
and I got working too, but there seem to be no "login" command to login to
Slide... there's an open command, but it doesn't say anything about logging
in with a user name. I've been searching around the manuals, but they don't
really say anything about how to login to slide. So to sum my questions:

1) How do I log into slide from the client? I've tried "open", and then
"put" but I get this:

[JENKOVDELL] /slide/ $ put testdoc.txt
Uploading  'testdoc.txt' to '/slide/testdoc.txt': failed.
Forbidden (403)
[JENKOVDELL] /slide/ $

2) Where are the files stored by default on the server? Can't find that in
the manuals either. I know several stores are possible, but I guess some
kind of file based storage is default?

3) Is there a more detailed manual out there than the one found on Apache?

I hope someone will help me with the above. My common sense is telling me
I'm simply missing something obvious.

Kind Regards,
Jakob Jenkov

Re: Logging Into Slide from Client?

Posted by Jakob Jenkov <ja...@jenkov.com>.
Hi Dirk.

> You didn't login so you are a guest and guests cannot put files on the
> server.
> If you want to enable that look in domain.xml:
>           <!-- ### Give read/write/manage permission to guest ###
>                Uncomment the following line to give permission to do
>                all actions on /files to guest (unauthenticated users)
> -->
>           <permission action="/actions" subject="/users/guest"/>

The only domain.xml files I could find are the ones under slide/examples/xml
and slide/examples/version. And they are exactly the same. Here's what they
look like. Nothing was/is commented out, so I don't really see how I can
uncomment something??

Besides, how do I configure new namespaces??

Jakob

---------------------

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<slide>

  <namespace name="xml">

    <definition>

      <store name="memory">
        <contentstore name="file"
         classname="slidestore.file.FileContentStoreNoVersioning">
          <parameter name="rootpath">files</parameter>
        </contentstore>
      </store>

      <scope match="/" store="memory" />

    </definition>

    <configuration>
      <default-action>/actions</default-action>
      <userspath>/users</userspath>
      <filespath></filespath>
      <parameter name="dav">true</parameter>
      <parameter name="standalone">true</parameter>
    </configuration>

    <data>

      <objectnode classname="org.apache.slide.structure.SubjectNode"
uri="/">

        <permission action="/actions" subject="/users/root"/>

        <!-- /users represents the unauthenticated user -->
        <objectnode classname="org.apache.slide.structure.SubjectNode"
         uri="/users">

          <!-- /users/root represents the administrator -->

          <objectnode classname="org.apache.slide.structure.SubjectNode"
           uri="/users/root">
          </objectnode>

          <!-- /users/guest represents an authenticated guest user -->

          <objectnode classname="org.apache.slide.structure.SubjectNode"
           uri="/users/guest">
          </objectnode>

        </objectnode>

        <objectnode classname="org.apache.slide.structure.ActionNode"
         uri="/actions">
        </objectnode>

      </objectnode>

    </data>

  </namespace>

</slide>

Re: Logging Into Slide from Client?

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
answers inside...

Jakob Jenkov wrote:

> Hi There!!
>
> Enthusiastically I read about Slide, downloaded, installed and got it
> running. Not a big deal when you've played a little around with Tomcat
> before. Then I connected and started looking around. And now I'm wondering,
> how do I use Slide at all? Yes, I know that I have to use the prompt client,
> and I got working too, but there seem to be no "login" command to login to
> Slide... there's an open command, but it doesn't say anything about logging
> in with a user name. I've been searching around the manuals, but they don't
> really say anything about how to login to slide.

When you open a conenction to a restricted area you get a prompt for a
password and you can of course specify your username/password in the
url:
http://user:pass@localhost:8080/slide/files/

By default you don't need a password, look at web.xml to enable
security-constraint.

> So to sum my questions:
>
> 1) How do I log into slide from the client? I've tried "open", and then
> "put" but I get this:
>
> [JENKOVDELL] /slide/ $ put testdoc.txt
> Uploading  'testdoc.txt' to '/slide/testdoc.txt': failed.
> Forbidden (403)
> [JENKOVDELL] /slide/ $

You didn't login so you are a guest and guests cannot put files on the
server.
If you want to enable that look in domain.xml:
          <!-- ### Give read/write/manage permission to guest ###
               Uncomment the following line to give permission to do
               all actions on /files to guest (unauthenticated users)
-->
          <permission action="/actions" subject="/users/guest"/>

> 2) Where are the files stored by default on the server? Can't find that in
> the manuals either. I know several stores are possible, but I guess some
> kind of file based storage is default?

Again domain.xml look which store isn't commented out.
I think memory/filesystem.

> 3) Is there a more detailed manual out there than the one found on Apache?

All contributions are welcome ;-)

> I hope someone will help me with the above. My common sense is telling me
> I'm simply missing something obvious.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Jakob Jenkov

Regards