Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz> on 2012/03/16 17:23:23 UTC

Re: OFBiz (layout svn repository) and Apache Extras (5)

There are multiple Extra Types :
- technical improvement (ex: new tags or attributes in form, screen,
...  xml engine)
- technical implementation of other tools (ex: a script jsr-233
implementation)
- functionality (ex: stock tracability)
- user interface for a dedicated business (ex: order B2B versus B2C )
- ...

for each, there are multiple status :
- available but without user help or unitTest, without OFBiz best
practice review
- available with user help, unitTest and following OFBiz best practices
   - with or without a (large) community
   - with a Apache license 2.0
   - with a GPL license
   - with a commercial license
   - ...
- ...

Depending of type and status an extras ofbiz brick can have different
life process.

For end user (or beginner in the community) it's necessary to be very
clear about type and status.

In my point of view I see 6 main categories (and so repository and rules)

- Apache OFBiz Kernel :-) not an extra, in Apache repository
- Apache OFBiz extra : for all which are validated by Apache OFBiz
community and ready to use ( ~ like specialpurpose today)
- Apache OFBiz extra archives : for part which are, in the past in
Apache Ofbiz, but which have no more enough contributors to be usable
for the trunk ofbiz (but usable for some other release)

- Apache OFBiz extra incubator : step before being accepted as Apache
OFBiz extra

- OFBiz Extra - <name of project> : own repository, own community, ready
to use, OFBiz best practice following and maybe more specific project
rules.
- OFBiz Extra - <name of project> -dev : step before, maybe no help or
no test, ....

License constraints should be very visible in each "OFBizExtra
repository", and the same license for all single subcomponent
OFBizExtra. Dependency between part of different OFBizExtra is allowed
only if it's compatible with its "repository License". ex: a component
on Apache License can have a dependency to a GPL technical OFBizExtra
brick only if it's stored on a GPL OFBIzExtra repository.

The rules applied to each  "OFBiz Extras-project" are defined and
checked by the <<OFBiz PMC, Apache and Extra>>.

Hoping to be clear, and answer or complete the Jacoppo proposition.

Olivier

ps: I did not argue much, to have a short mail, but :-) I'm able to
argue a lot :-)

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.